First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The blend door actuator just started "clicking" on my 15,000 mile Hard Rock. I also replaced it on my previous JK. [everyone seems to have had an issue]

Has Jeep reengineered this part/function in the JL?
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
You would think FCA has a better design by now?

Blend door or heater core problems alone justify a Mopar extended warranty. Especially for models equipped with DUAL climate control.

Jeeps seem to be notorious for blend door and actuator problems? Hopefully it's a easier job then the past Jeeps and is under warranty for your JL. The old Jeeps were no fun. I had to take apart my entire dash to repair the one in my TJ. Same with older Grand Cherokee's also. Not fun. Some people have short cuts or hacks to repair some models but still a pain.

Make sure you inspect or replace that inside cabin filter often.

Last edited:

porcusRex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
weird. i have a 2014 Fiesta ST. i wonder if it uses the same part. starting clicking after 3 years. i go google it and its common on fords. find the replacement at amazon. a 15$ part. order it and spend about 1/2 a day replacing it which required taking out the driver's seat and some paneling and then spending a lot of time in a contorted position to reach up into the dash area to remove and replace it. i think the ford directions had you removing the dash. the cost (no longer under warranty) would have been several hours labor to replace a failing 15 dollar piece of plastic that should have never been used in the first place.

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
The WJ Grand Cherokees (99-04) were horrible with this, they used very weak plastic for the doors and they would just snap after awhile. The replacement part was apparently a bit stronger and lasted longer, not sure why they didn't just implement the replacements from the factory. Apparently they haven't learned their lesson, I'm having trouble with my climate control in my month old JLU. I will say that my two WK2's had no issues with blend doors or anything else related to the climate control so at least they got those right.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Educate this 1st time jeep owner, what is the blend door actuator?
It's the hot/cold mixture as mentioned previously. It's the piece that you can hear changing position (mechanically) when you adjust your climate controls. When it gets noisy, and clicks, it's time for replacement. You can't ignore it for long as the steady noise is maddening.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It's the hot/cold mixture as mentioned previously. It's the piece that you can hear changing position (mechanically) when you adjust your climate controls. When it gets noisy, and clicks, it's time for replacement. You can't ignore it for long as the steady noise is maddening.
You would think FCA has a better design by now?
I suspect that blend door actuator replacements have kept FCA financially afloat for years. Why kill the cash cow by redesigning it?

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '11 LR4, '21 F-150 FX4, '08 620i Gator
My 2018 JLUR blender door actuator behind the radio is now making a squeaking noise. In fact, I can tell you exactly when it happens. 4:00 minutes after turning off the rig. There must be a timer that closes the door at this point. In fact, I can reproduce the noise by simply changing the HVAC mix to/from either the defrost or upper vents.

As a builder, especially during these Covid times, I spend much time in my JLUR or F150 working on my laptop and making calls. I can assure you all that Ford has had their share of such problems in their trucks, including the removal of the entire dash to get to the failed component.

Have any of you heard this squeak yet? getting behind the radio is simple enough. Did it a couple times already with the install of my front camera. Not sure, however, how easy/hard it would be to get to the actuator to oil it. Anyone?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
My 2018 JLUR blender door actuator behind the radio is now making a squeaking noise. In fact, I can tell you exactly when it happens. 4:00 minutes after turning off the rig. There must be a timer that closes the door at this point. In fact, I can reproduce the noise by simply changing the HVAC mix to/from either the defrost or upper vents.

As a builder, especially during these Covid times, I spend much time in my JLUR or F150 working on my laptop and making calls. I can assure you all that Ford has had their share of such problems in their trucks, including the removal of the entire dash to get to the failed component.

Have any of you heard this squeak yet? getting behind the radio is simple enough. Did it a couple times already with the install of my front camera. Not sure, however, how easy/hard it would be to get to the actuator to oil it. Anyone?
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...oise-under-passenger-dash.62778/#post-1811564

Here is the video of my blend door actuator going crazy and making clicking noise after turning off the Jeep.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t that the vent door? The blend door isn’t visible and is inside the blower, it separates the hot and cold air. The door in your video opens and closes when you press the vent button.
Thanks for correction if you are right - I'm actually not sure what it's called.
Seems like it's what most people are calling it when you do a search and it always point to this part.

Davidcogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JKU Rubicon / 2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon
I’ve developed this same issue a few weeks ago. Did you get yours fixed?
Hi, I have the same issue. Ended up unplugging the small motor. I ordered the replacement part. Did you repair yours?
Sponsored