Bleh...

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Good question! No, I do not know why there was a gas smell. Only mods mine has is the Mopar fog and flood lights, stinger bar, winch, tint, and headliner. No new/additional skid plates or anything like that. Almost embarrassed to say this out loud, but I hadn't even taken this one off road yet... Had plans to just had not yet. Before the breakdown she was asphalt only.
Also, watched the whole vid above, mine didn't really do any of that before it tanked. Guess we will find out what's broken when the dealership opens the hood.
Ok, was asking because I read a situation where a plastic fuel line on a 2.0T cracked. A possible contributing factor was the removal of the factory skid plate also removed one of the supports for the fuel line. I think there may have also been a TSB to replace one of the push lock connectors but not sure.
Sponsored

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
sounds more like failed injectors and flooding the engine. Just a guess. Wish you the best, they take care it the right way.

OP
OP
Covet

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
Ok, was asking because I read a situation where a plastic fuel line on a 2.0T cracked. A possible contributing factor was the removal of the factory skid plate also removed one of the supports for the fuel line. I think there may have also been a TSB to replace one of the push lock connectors but not sure.
Interesting and makes sense!

OP
OP
Covet

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Working with Jeep Customer Care > got the updated diagnosis (where it is now) from the dealership/Jeep Customer Care. Not an Engineer or Mechanic, but metallic debris and seized ATM sounds like an engine to me - mechanics at the dealership and the Jeep Cust. Care rep agreed, sounds like an engine. I requested to start the buyback process today, rep routed it for buyback approval, said its a pretty straightforward case, 48-72 hours on a decision for that. 49 days in the shop as of today. Engine teardown scheduled TBD somewhere in the future, no date set due to 6 other tear downs a head of me in line.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bleh... 10F555D2-1FAC-45E4-8891-EA2305BA45D9

No guesses on the real issue, what that will take to fix, and or how long that will take. Done, done with this one on my end. Letā€™s see where it all goes!

arcticaaron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Man that sucks. Hope the buy back process goes smoothly. Iā€™m curious if the defrost on the 392 is better than on your 2018? I have a 392 on order to replace my 2018 and the defrost on the ā€˜18 sucks all winter long.

Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Working with Jeep Customer Care > got the updated diagnosis (where it is now) from the dealership/Jeep Customer Care. Not an Engineer or Mechanic, but metallic debris and seized ATM sounds like an engine to me - mechanics at the dealership and the Jeep Cust. Care rep agreed, sounds like an engine. I requested to start the buyback process today, rep routed it for buyback approval, said its a pretty straightforward case, 48-72 hours on a decision for that. 49 days in the shop as of today. Engine teardown scheduled TBD somewhere in the future, no date set due to 6 other tear downs a head of me in line.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bleh... 10F555D2-1FAC-45E4-8891-EA2305BA45D9

No guesses on the real issue, what that will take to fix, and or how long that will take. Done, done with this one on my end. Letā€™s see where it all goes!
YUP! My jeep was in the shop for 44 days with an engine replacement. I approved the ā€œtear down processā€ and then it took 25 days for the adjustor/inspector to come look at the damaged engine and then to approve my replacement via my extended warranty service contract.

Hopefully, the buyback process will be expedited so they can put you back into another should you wish it. Iā€™m sorry this is happening. It really sux tbh. But thankfully Jeep Customer Care is on it and getting things sorted. Please keep us posted when you have a free moment.

OP
OP
Covet

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man that sucks. Hope the buy back process goes smoothly. Iā€™m curious if the defrost on the 392 is better than on your 2018? I have a 392 on order to replace my 2018 and the defrost on the ā€˜18 sucks all winter long.
Ughā€¦ sadly never got to run the defroster on the 392 so I dont know if it worked same, better or worse than the 18 i had. Will say, minus the windshield defroster sucking and the rear ones wire continually falling off the glass, the 18 was pretty bullet-proof. Honestly, my 18 was overall a good Jeep.

Echo5papa

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu Rubicon
Ughā€¦ sadly never got to run the defroster on the 392 so I dont know if it worked same, better or worse than the 18 i had. Will say, minus the windshield defroster sucking and the rear ones wire continually falling off the glass, the 18 was pretty bullet-proof. Honestly, my 18 was overall a good Jeep.
Just curious, how does one repair the rear wires falling off the glass? I just notices this on mine

OP
OP
Covet

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just curious, how does one repair the rear wires falling off the glass? I just notices this on mine
Not probably the solution you are looking for, but here is how mine went.
Took it to the dealership, pointed it out, they did _____ (something)___, checked it out, wire was reattached and stayed that way for at least a couple months. Took it back same issue 2nd time, same treatment, few months later wire fell off again... realized I didn't really use the rear defroster than much, didn't take it back for a 3rd attempt, sold it a few years later.

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray 392, 2000 Supercharged WJ
Any update on the status of your 392? Did they buy it back, or replace the engine? Curious because I've heard about a few 392s blowing. If you do get an engine replacement, make sure they replace everything connected to it - especially the oil cooler and oil lines.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Covet

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any update on the status of your 392? Did they buy it back, or replace the engine? Curious because I've heard about a few 392s blowing. If you do get an engine replacement, make sure they replace everything connected to it - especially the oil cooler and oil lines.
They gave me the timeline/guesstimate, were tracking at at least 6 months before they could do the replacement. Sold it as is to the dealership (then magically the engine got replaced REAL fast - no suprises there) no loaners, didn't have a lot of faith in how well the repair would have been completed, just walked. Tried a Ram Rebel for a few months, decided that was too nice and too much truck for me, went back and am in a jlur 4xe now. No problems with it yet, liking it so far. But, if it decides to meltdown like my 392 did, will sell it and prob. end up in a regular v6 one :)

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That sounds like a raw deal... If my engine blew and I had to wait six months for another one, it would definitely be a buy-back. If you had to sell it back to the dealer for less than you paid, that just doesn't sound right.

OP
OP
Covet

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That sounds like a raw deal... If my engine blew and I had to wait six months for another one, it would definitely be a buy-back. If you had to sell it back to the dealer for less than you paid, that just doesn't sound right.
Most mfgs. won't jump to buy-back as a first offer. And if and when you do eventually get there it is normally after you have traveled a long and highly frustrating road. One exception, one of the buy-backs I went through was on a VW R32, quite a while ago. It seized, was in the shop for about 5 weeks and VW reached out with an on the spot buy-back and I took it. Did not have to fight with them and it was quick. The others I have experienced, again, long frustrating process. This time neither fca or I wanted to move to the next evolution in the process, they made me a good offer on "anything on the dealer's lot" (same amount off/any vehicle), dealer did not have a Wrangler in stock or on a truck I wanted, I drove off in a new Ram. The deal was mostly fair and immediate. Zero frustration and immediate were the drivers for me this go around. Kept the truck till it was worth a few dollars, sold it and moved into another Wrangler.

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, if you got what you wanted and you're happy with it, that's all that really matters.

If it were me, I would have demanded a buy-back - especially if the dealer threw an ADM on top of the price of the Jeep. Or, I would have waited for a TRX to show up on the lot and then say "well, you said I could have anything on the lot...".

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Had mine repaired twice, 3rd time they changed the whole glass, repair no.3 on second glass and window exploded like a 12 gauge shotgun. Jeep was in shop for 6 weeks and backwindow was still backordered. Got tire of waiting and ordered one from a car windshield replacement shop. they had it within a day and never had a problem after 2years/winters.
Sponsored