Sponsored

BLD vs Anti-Spin. What is difference?

Lightsped

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys, 2017 Tacoma Off Road, Honda S2000.
Occupation
Technology Research
What is the difference between BLD and Anti-Spin? Is one noticeably better than the other as far as easy to medium difficulty trail riding goes?
Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Brake lock differential is a reactive system that usesyour brakes to simulate limited slip differentials on both axles. It’s fairly effective and most jeep owners do just fine with it on easy-to-medium trails.

The anti-spin differential is also a reactive system that uses a set of clutch packs in the rear differential to limit wheel spin. It’s technically better, especially because it gets you the Dana 44 rear end, but many people have had issues with the clutches wearing out (search around the forums, you’ll find threads).

I can’t offer insight on a direct comparison as my previous two jeeps had open diffs and no BLD; my current jeep has open diffs with lockers on the front and rear (Rubicon). I’m sure someone else can chime in on that.

Hope this helps!

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
What is the difference between BLD and Anti-Spin? Is one noticeably better than the other as far as easy to medium difficulty trail riding goes?
Not sure a comparison is fair in this case since all JLs come standard with BLD regardless of trim.
While Anti-Spin (LSD) is offered as an option on top of the BLD.. so you aren’t choosing one over the other.

It’s like making a comparison between 4 wheel drive to lockers.

So in the real world essentially you are comparing BLD vs BLD+LSD

HamiltonGuy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLSU
Also...should you go for the Limited Slip Differential, you not only get the more robust axle, which is good to have should you want to add larger tires down the road, but you also get a tire upgrade to nice A/T tires.
If you drive where you get snow, I'd enjoy the Limited Slip on my Jeep.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Also note that you already get the more robust axle on the Sport if you choose a manual transmission.

Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Trac-Lok anti-spin (limited slip differential) is always active and works independently of BLD.

BLD works with both axles but is only active in 4-Hi and 4-Lo. BLD will kick in if the torque bias is higher than Trac-Lok can handle.

Steve Jennings

First Name
Not Now
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.neveragain.com
Vehicle(s)
Red Scooter
Occupation
Trust Funder
Trac-Lok anti-spin (limited slip differential) is always active and works independently of BLD.

BLD works with both axles but is only active in 4-Hi and 4-Lo. BLD will kick in if the torque bias is higher than Trac-Lok can handle.
Where can I buy a Detroit/Eaton Truetrack diff for my M220 rear axle ?
Sponsored