Blazing the Trail

quick66

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Hightide Edition
Well, not really. I’m new to jeeping. Recently installed a Rock Hard aluminum bumper, Warn winch and Factor 55 recovery hook on my JLU. Out riding a trail over one of the local mountains this morning and came across a big dead tree in the trail. I could have probably driven around it, but I thought I would do the right thing and pull it out of the road. Plus it gave me a chance to try out the new recovery gear. I’m happy to say everything worked great and I was able to get the tree moved off to the side of the road safely by myself. A few more vehicles came in behind me just as I was finishing up. They were thankful and it made me feel good to help out. I think I will enjoy this off roading stuff :like:

DB705E77-5B12-4772-8C87-7D6DB73D7CF5.jpeg

0DD7C8BA-2878-4AC7-93C2-12305A040080.jpeg

1AAD028D-EFFD-49A6-8F20-E00D4D99EDA8.jpeg
Sponsored

CopperMtnGuy

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler, 2005 KJ
Nice! Which Warn did you go with? I have an M8000 on my KJ that I love, getting ready to pick out a Warn for the JL!

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I love opportunities like this, and especially appreciate the opportunity to use a snatch-block. If you have a chance to do this again, instead of pulling the tree toward you, you can place a tree saver/snatch-block off trail and pull the tree off the road, perpendicular to the road.

OP
OP
quick66

quick66

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice! Which Warn did you go with? I have an M8000 on my KJ that I love, getting ready to pick out a Warn for the JL!
I went with this one:

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/jeep-truck-suv-winches/103253-warn-vr-evo10s-winch-rope

I know that these are frowned on by some due to the country of origin. I'm a big advocate of Made in America, and put my money where my mouth is most of the time. That said, the difference in price between these and their American made counterparts is staggering. I'm new to off roading and recovery (transitioning away from motorcycle and auto racing into some more age appropriate hobbies ;) ), so I was hesitant to spend $2k+ on a first winch. That said, this one seems built very well. I like the wireless controller and it seems to pull pretty stout. I suppose time will tell on durability.

OP
OP
quick66

quick66

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love opportunities like this, and especially appreciate the opportunity to use a snatch-block. If you have a chance to do this again, instead of pulling the tree toward you, you can place a tree saver/snatch-block off trail and pull the tree off the road, perpendicular to the road.
As a noob I really appreciate your advice. I actually have a snatch block, but didn't have it with me on this ride. I just purchased all my recovery gear (tree saver, recovery rope, snatch block, shackles, etc...) two weeks ago. I'm hoping that my soon to happen birthday will see me with a winch damper and nice bag to put it all in.

This would have been a great way to solve getting the tree out of the road. The way I did it took two attempts lining up on the tree to get it close enough to the edge that I could roll it off the road. Thanks very much for the advice!

Sponsored

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
My hippie self thought this was a 420 Jeep story.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time

This would have been a great way to solve getting the tree out of the road. The way I did it took two attempts lining up on the tree to get it close enough to the edge that I could roll it off the road. Thanks very much for the advice!
You did great, and the only reason I would suggest a different pull is the practice. You get practice using all of the gear, even when you don't need too, so that when you do need to, you already know what to expect. I like using my stuff, so if I can use it on easy stuff, it makes the harder stuff easier, if that makes sense.

CopperMtnGuy

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler, 2005 KJ
I went with this one:

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/jeep-truck-suv-winches/103253-warn-vr-evo10s-winch-rope

I know that these are frowned on by some due to the country of origin. I'm a big advocate of Made in America, and put my money where my mouth is most of the time. That said, the difference in price between these and their American made counterparts is staggering. I'm new to off roading and recovery (transitioning away from motorcycle and auto racing into some more age appropriate hobbies ;) ), so I was hesitant to spend $2k+ on a first winch. That said, this one seems built very well. I like the wireless controller and it seems to pull pretty stout. I suppose time will tell on durability.
Very nice, that's the one I think I'm going with too!
Sponsored