First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
When I put my Jeep in reverse, I get a blank (black) screen with the "check entire surroundings" message still intact. The Jeep is still under warranty, but I'd prefer to skip the dealer (too much chance of collateral damage) if there is a boneheadedly simple solution. I did not go into settings and make any changes to the camera. ??????

EDIT: I did a search and this seems to be a somewhat common issue, but no one has published a solution. BTW, this problem comes/goes.
Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
this problem comes/goes.
That’s pretty much all there is to this issue.

some swear that it only happens when it’s cold. others say no way.

I think it’s just buggy software. I believe there was a Ram owner that had the same issue a while back that had success with replacing the backup camera itself.

if you go to the dealer, and if they agree to do anything about it, they will likely just throw parts at it starting with the radio. Maybe perform an update if it’s due for one, but those don’t seem to always work either.

it’s a crappy answer, but it’s kind of just something you live with. Mind did it a bunch when I first bought it (once a week) and now hasn’t done it for weeks.

also, it’s not always the whole picture. Sometimes it’s just the guidelines that you lose, and the video itself still shows.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had that happen to me twice in 15 months I’ve owned the Jeep. Last time it did was months ago.

On another two separate occasions there was image but the park lines disappeared.

Haven’t really done about it because it’s self corrected every time.

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Do you have the 8.4? If so, did you get the recent update?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
When I put my Jeep in reverse, I get a blank (black) screen with the "check entire surroundings" message still intact. The Jeep is still under warranty, but I'd prefer to skip the dealer (too much chance of collateral damage) if there is a boneheadedly simple solution. I did not go into settings and make any changes to the camera. ??????

EDIT: I did a search and this seems to be a somewhat common issue, but no one has published a solution. BTW, this problem comes/goes.
I took this issue to dealer service dept on 3 different occasions.
The first 2 times, they told me 'could not replicated'
On my third time I had it all on video, and showed them the footage. They replaced the camera and wiring harness.

Haven't had an issue with it since.

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
He has a 2021, I don't think he would get an update.

Though, I'm suprised this is still happening on 2021 models... old habits die hard I guess.
it happens more on my 21 than it did on my 18.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Holy shit. I didn't realize that this was so common.

mgarciaknight

First Name
MG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU80
Happen to me about a month ago after having it for only a month. It was after a light rain. Went out to pick up a pizza and when I backed up, blank screen, no camera. Went into settings, turned it off and back on and nothing. Next day worked fine. Week later, took it for my 1000 mile oil change let them know of what happened that day with blank screen and no camera so it could go on record. They came back and said no codes and could not replicate bullshit.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Happen to me about a month ago after having it for only a month. It was after a light rain. Went out to pick up a pizza and when I backed up, blank screen, no camera. Went into settings, turned it off and back on and nothing. Next day worked fine. Week later, took it for my 1000 mile oil change let them know of what happened that day with blank screen and no camera so it could go on record. They came back and said no codes and could not replicate bullshit.
Yes, usually happens when there is moisture present such as after a car wash or rain..

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I got the same exact thing hapoen to me
In my 2021 a few weeks ago. I gave it a hard restart (hold power and select buttons for over ten seconds until screen restarts) and the camera came back after uConnect turned back on.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
As the others said it's just a buggy system. Not even "a Jeep thing" since other FCA products do it too.
I've had my Jeep for 3 years (yes, early order '18) and my camera has blanked and displayed without lines on from time to time. It never persists, and it's infrequent. I've never gone to the dealership for it since it doesn't repeat I knew they wouldn't be able to replicate the issue. Also, knowing that my wife's Renegade and my friend's Rebel do the same thing, tells me it's a software bug, not a problem with my Jeep.
FWIW, over the 3 years, I haven't noticed a pattern to when it does it. Hot, cold, rainy, dry... doesn't matter. It's done it for all of them. I figure backup cameras are a bonus anyway, so I just use my mirrors as I've done for years.
As Rob said, it's a crappy answer but isn't really something to fix.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Never had all blue, that's a new one.
Sponsored