Sponsored

Blank Canvas 2018 Jl Unlimited Sport

Individual1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Jeep Wrangler Peeps....

I bought a 2018 JL Unlimited Sport; base model with Customer Preferred Package 24B:

- V6, 8-Speed Automatic Transmission
3rd Gen Dana Solid Rear Axle
Hill Descent Control
Tip Start

- Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
3rd Gen Dana 44HD Rear Axle

I wanted a blank canvas 4x4 Wrangler, so I went with a lower end model; honestly didn't do a lot of reading before I went out and got it. Mainly wanted a Wrangler that I could take the top off and enjoy some memories with the family. I have manual windows and door locks, which I'm not really that disappointed with. Reminds me of a generation of vehicle that's nearly phased out in the cell phone age and not many people remember.

After I got home and did some reading; considering I do like larger tires and could see a lift in the future... Comparing to a Rubicon; other than the obvious lack of 33s, front fenders and slightly higher suspension... I found out the gearing is slightly different, no true lock front/rear diffs and no Dana 44HD front axle.

Down the road would I like to do some casual off roading and have her look like a nice pavement princess? Absolutely. So far I REALLY am enjoying it; it drives great and I love looking at all the aftermarket stuff.

I certainly don't have buyers remorse, but I am wondering if I went too blank of a canvas or based on the aftermarket options, I didn't make that bad of a choice?
Sponsored

Last edited:

b12606

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Your choices are almost endless. We went with a JLUS Sport and have added Rubicon take tires and wheels and a few other minor modifications. As much as I like the Rubicon I knew I was not going to rock crawl (yet) but for the trails we do it has been awesome and the LSD worked fantastic in the snow. Enjoy your new ride they are fun vehicles.

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
I had a 2015 JK. Wanted a Rubicon but didnt want the payment. I got a black Unlimited Sport. All it had was auto trans, hard top and did have the rear LSD. A 24B as well. I was happy with this choice as I knew I’d upgrade it as time went on. I ended up with a front locker, 2.5” lift, bumpers and winch. Also went up to 35s. Had some other accessories as well. I never regretted getting that 24B package as it can be upgraded to what I wanted. Im i. the same boat with the JL except now I have a sport S. I think youll be happy with your decision and you have a vehicle your can make your own. Have fun with it

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
That base sport is still a very capable vehicle off-road. Don't let these forums mislead you. Congratulations on your new Jeep.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I bought one similar to yours a month ago, and I love it. Same options, plus turbo, hardtop, and towing.
Glad I got that, because I traded in my pickup, and I need to haul stuff regularly. Bought a $600 utility trailer; problem solved.
I expected to want to modify it, but I don’t. It’s more than capable off-road for my needs, and I’m amazed at its road manners. Don’t want to screw that balance up.
I did put rock rails on it, and am watching Craigslist for a nice front bumper, I think that will be it for mods. I’ll put ko2s on it when I wear out the oem tires, but stock size.
I do miss power door locks, but I’ll get over it.
I flat love the little rascal. Been a long time since I drove for fun!
Sponsored