Sponsored

BlackVue DR590X Dash Cam Installed (Hardwired)

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I installed a BlackVue DR590X dash cam. Since the camera came with both the 12v plug power outlet cable and a hardwire cable, I did the hard wire cable installation. The camera has two (2) power inputs, one is BAT which is hot at all times, and the other ACC input is hot in ACC / Run. The 3rd connection is ground.

The camera came with a Blackvue 32GB micro SD card, but the camera can handle up to a 256GB card. I purchased a SanDisk 256GB micro SD card from Amazon for $37.99. When I installed the SanDisk card into the camera, the camera could not read the card. So I removed the card and replaced it with the supplied Blackvue 32GB card and the card did format in the camera and functioned properly. I read in the Blackvue quick start guide that only the Blackvue micro SD card will work properly. This turned out not to be true. On the Blackvue website the Blackvue brand 256GB micro SD card has a new lower price of only $190.98. I really prefer Amazon's price. I tried formatting the SanDisk 256GB micro SD card from Amazon in my computer using FAT32. Then I installed the SanDisk 256GB micro SD card into the camera and it works perfectly.

I connected the "BAT" lead on the supplied hardwire kit to the Auxiliary #4 switch circuit Blue/Pink wire under the right side of the I.P. The Auxiliary #4 switch circuit has been programmed to latch and connect to “Battery Power” and is “Hot at All Times” when the switch is closed.

I connected the ACC lead on the supplied hardwire kit to the "accessory" Orange/Pink wire under the right side of the I.P. This circuit is “Hot in ACC/Run”.

By connecting the camera in this manner, I can turn off the Auxiliary #4 switch if I want to power off the camera while the Jeep is parked.

I have the Blackvue G-1EU GPS receiver on order and will install when it arrives. It provides speed and location data on the video recordings. :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gripster

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2D
Wow. Your SD card formatting trick was pretty cool and sure saved some money! I got lost when you started talking about the switches and the wires. Are these the factory optional switches on the dash? If so that may explain my ignorance as I don’t have this option.

OP
OP
calemasters

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Wow. Your SD card formatting trick was pretty cool and sure saved some money! I got lost when you started talking about the switches and the wires. Are these the factory optional switches on the dash? If so that may explain my ignorance as I don’t have this option.
The Amazon SanDisk 256GB micro SD card was $152.99 less than the 256GB Blackvue card and the SanDisk card from Amazon has a faster "write speed".

Yes, I have the four factory auxiliary switches below the Uconnect screen. The wiring for the four switches is provided and this makes makes adding accessories much easier. Also, the provided Jeep wiring bundle under the right side of the instrument panel also contains an "accessory" wire as well as a "battery" wire. And since all four switches/circuits are user configurable via the Uconnect screen options, this adds a lot of flexibility to the auxiliary switches. Jeep really thought this out. :)
Sponsored

Last edited: