Blackvue Dashcam Hardwire Install Question

nyvisual

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon
I’ll preface by saying I have zero electrical hardwiring experience. I feel confident I can do this mod:

I have a question about wiring the dashcam into the always on battery cable that comes with the AUX package.
Jeep Wrangler JL Blackvue Dashcam Hardwire Install Question 9645DEBF-139E-42AC-B1F9-0FB650596000

I obviously know the black wire is the ground.

Yellow = Battery Red = Acc

What’s the next step of wiring for the two remaining wires? My assumption was that the yellow would be crimped and connected to the battery wire in aux package. This still leave the Acc wire?

I know...I know...this guy is asking elementary questions. But a little guidance will go a long way here.
Sponsored

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
i'm surprised it doesn't cover this in the manual.

i would assume that yellow goes to your power (always on) and the red (acc) connects to a switched power supply so the camera knows when the vehicle is on or off. i think there's a connection for both with the tow package.

in the wire bundle for the aux switches..
red w/ white stripe is constant power
orange w/ pink stripe is ignition power
(there's a good image of these floating around here)

there's also a ground point if you remove the side plastic in the passenger footwell.

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
So based on this, the accessory wire goes to #5 and battery goes to #6?
in the wire bundle for the aux switches..
red w/ white stripe is constant power
orange w/ pink stripe is ignition power
(there's a good image of these floating around here)

there's also a ground point if you remove the side plastic in the passenger footwell.

Sponsored

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Did that wiring harness come with the camera or is that the one you have to buy separately? These cameras have so many damn things you may or may not need.

OP
OP

nyvisual

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon
Did that wiring harness come with the camera or is that the one you have to buy separately? These cameras have so many damn things you may or may not need.
It was included. The wiring was pretty easy as long as you have the AUX package

whiskey_392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara | 2018 Charger Scat Pack
Hey, first post here.

I’m installing a 750 and the unit doesn’t seem to be turning on. It does with the cigarette port though.

I’ve quadruple checked the ACC to Pink/Orange, and BATT to Red/White. I’ve seen different pictures on this forum that have the ACC and AUX3 wires labeled incorrectly, so I verified function with a multimeter. My next guess is that a low voltage is keeping this from turning on, but I’d expect it to turn on once the car is running... any ideas?

FWIW this is a 2020 JLU Sahara (wife’s car)

OP
OP

nyvisual

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon
Did you check Aux 4? The orange/pink & pink / orange are sometimes tough to see correctly.

Sponsored

whiskey_392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you check Aux 4? The orange/pink & pink / orange are sometimes tough to see correctly.
Yep, I checked the Orange/Pink which registered power when AUX3 was turned on, and Pink/Orange registered power when the ignition was pressed (I tested the inverse as well for a sanity check)

whiskey_392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just noticed the glass fuse for the yellow BATT wire has a disconnected filament. I wouldn’t think this is my issue, as the plug itself (that goes into the camera) is registering power. I’ll replace and check.

I’ve disabled battery protection in the app and that didn’t help.

UPDATE: it’s the blown fuse. I temporarily bridged the two sides and bingo bango bongo we have power. Thanks!

Last edited:

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
It was included. The wiring was pretty easy as long as you have the AUX package
What did you end up doing? I feel that if I connect them to 5/6 then it won't be controlled by the AUX? I mean I guess I'm fine with that since it has a voltage shut off. Just trying to see what you did? Also did you use snap connects? (Looks like the factory has a snap connect end?) Or did you cut off the connection that Jeep put in and put your own connection?

OP
OP

nyvisual

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon
What did you end up doing? I feel that if I connect them to 5/6 then it won't be controlled by the AUX? I mean I guess I'm fine with that since it has a voltage shut off. Just trying to see what you did? Also did you use snap connects? (Looks like the factory has a snap connect end?) Or did you cut off the connection that Jeep put in and put your own connection?
I connected it to AUX 3 and I used quick connects with heat shrink. It was a straightforward install and has worked flawlessly so far.

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
I connected it to AUX 3 and I used quick connects with heat shrink. It was a straightforward install and has worked flawlessly so far.
So break it down for the stupid guy here lol. Which wires did you connect to which? I have the same adapter you posted. Does parking mode work with your set up? Thanks in advance for your reply!
Sponsored