mattnrach

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2 door
All,

We have a white 2 door jl sport. My Fiance has been wanting to paint the gun metal dash and other gun metal bits and pieces for a while. We finally got around to it.

We vinyl wrapped the dash in Matte black for now. We didn't do the best job, but now we know we like it enough to take the panels to a body shop.

The HVAC controls came apart much easier than I thought. I didn't take step-by-step photos (sorry) but it is very doable if you have a supply of bits and screwdrivers.

20200314_130400.jpg

The knobs also came apart very easily.

20200314_130857.jpg

If you are comfortable taking plastic pieces apart, it is very simple. We hit everything with black plastic dip to make sure we liked it. We may do it permanently one day, but for now we love it.
20200314_142934.jpg

We also hit the stupid chrome bar on the radio (we have to re-do that one) and the Media/12V panel below the HVAC controls. We couldn't take the one apart (plastic welds?) so we painted around it and peeled the plastic dip from the areas we did not want it.

20200315_110928.jpg

I will take better photos after we get the dash painted if there is sufficient interest.

Thanks!
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have a few questions:
1. On the JK you could get the air vent boxes out by slipping in a screwdriver into the vent to lift a tab and they would pull out. For the JL do you have to take the dash covers off then unscrew the vent boxes?
2. How do you pull apart the A/C knobs to get the silver ring out? Do you need to remove the entire A/C unit out first?
3. On my Rubicon there are silver trim pieces in the front of the dual zone climate system and the window switch/power outlet modules. The climate one has 4 small hex nuts that when removed do not appear to let you pull off that piece separately. It looks like you don't have that setup on yours.
4. Are the inside door handles on yours silver or black? If silver did you change the color on those?
5. Are the rings around the speedometer and tachometer chrome on yours and you painted them? Again guessing you have to remove the dash piece as a unit.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I have a few questions:
1. On the JK you could get the air vent boxes out by slipping in a screwdriver into the vent to lift a tab and they would pull out. For the JL do you have to take the dash covers off then unscrew the vent boxes?
2. How do you pull apart the A/C knobs to get the silver ring out? Do you need to remove the entire A/C unit out first?
3. On my Rubicon there are silver trim pieces in the front of the dual zone climate system and the window switch/power outlet modules. The climate one has 4 small hex nuts that when removed do not appear to let you pull off that piece separately. It looks like you don't have that setup on yours.
4. Are the inside door handles on yours silver or black? If silver did you change the color on those?
5. Are the rings around the speedometer and tachometer chrome on yours and you painted them? Again guessing you have to remove the dash piece as a unit.
This might help answer some of your questions:

OP
OP

mattnrach

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2 door
I have a few questions:
I am not 100% which part you are referring to but the vents themselves & the vent outer rings can only be removed with the dash removed. The vent rings can be easily separated from the vent body, but I did not paint either.
I did not take step-by-step photos, sorry. You could take the HVAC knobs off without pulling the HVAC unit, but in order to paint the remaining "metal" finish, you would need to remove the HVAC unit (the removal of the HVAC unit is easy - see the video jludave posted in this thread). The "silver" ring comes out very easily, you just need to look at it and get a small flat blade screwdriver to lift the tabs and push it out. Hard to explain, easy to figure out when you are looking at it.
I was not able to remove the "silver" piece around where your window switches are. Really bother me, but I plastic dipped the silver piece as best as I could with as much removed as possible. Very doable that way, especially if you have some better painting skills than I (I have very little).
They are silver now, but when we installed power locks, it looked like they could be removed. I plan on painting them black ASAP!
When you remove the dash, you will see how to remove those rings. Again, it is surprisingly easy to do so!
See my answers above. I hoped I helped you out somewhat.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the video and answers. To cover the silver pieces embedded into the different black parts would be a definite pain. Wish they could invent a brush on paint that only covered a certain color or finish. Definitely easier to paint the silver pieces on the JK interior.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The silver bezel at the bottom of your first picture appears to be sandwiched between the other sections of the control panel. I have the dual climate control and the bezel is shaped a little different shape but should still be a separate piece. How difficult is it to separate the different pieces to get the bezel out?

OP
OP

mattnrach

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2 door
The silver bezel at the bottom of your first picture appears to be sandwiched between the other sections of the control panel. I have the dual climate control and the bezel is shaped a little different shape but should still be a separate piece. How difficult is it to separate the different pieces to get the bezel out?
First, you obviously have to remove the complete HVAC unit. It is very easy. After that, I had to just start unscrewing and popping out everything I could. Eventually, I could gently pry the part out. It takes some determination, but it is fairly straightforward. The photos do show all the parts I had to remove.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
I have a few questions:
Did you (or anyone else) ever figure out the silver trim piece with the 4 small hex nuts? Is it harmless to remove them? I also don't love the small bits of silver. Mine looks like what you're describing and not the OP's.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Did you (or anyone else) ever figure out the silver trim piece with the 4 small hex nuts? Is it harmless to remove them?
They are simply decorative.
Sponsored