MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I did painted fenders and top... I did think of black fenders and top but did the website and looked at my color choice with or without painted fenders and top.... then asked my wife and this is what I got.

Just enjoy whatever you get.
Jeep Wrangler JL Black vs. body color hard top Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 9.31.44 AM
Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
This boils down to preference so there’s no right answer but me personally I think the black top is the way to go. Besides looking better I also think it keeps the “Jeep look” that’s unique to Wranglers and helps it stand out compared to every other vehicle around today.

Berrypunch

First Name
Fats
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser GXR
I was looking to replace my matte finish for a smooth body color black top. I buffed out and ceramic coated the matte finish top. It looks great, factory fresh with no sun fade or oxidation. I'm happy with the matte finish now.

Side note, I do not think you can order a smooth top in black on any other body color? You would have to buy a black body to get smooth / glossy black top. I think.
I'd love to see a picture of that!

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Both are nice. I personally like the black top a little better. It breaks up the color. Plus you’ll save some money.
same here. it gives it a traditional looks of a wrangler.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
I will be ordering a 2021 JLUR sometime this fall (after hopefully better color selection is available), and was wondering what people's opinion was on the black vs. body color hard top were. Specifically, I was curious about any paint problems encountered on the body color hard tops, even though I will only be in trees occasionally. I already know that black will make it hotter inside during summer.
pretty much what everyone have mentioned. it a matter of preference as to what you like. i have the black top (and fenders) on my gcm jl. it breack up the color and it has the traditional looks of a wrangler. the black top is (to me) a low maintaince top and doesnt req any wash/wax/polish. if the top get scratched up, i use a black sharpie to touch it up. as for the heat factor, i dont think it makes any difference.

Sponsored

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
as for the heat factor, i dont think it makes any difference.
I beg to differ. It may be different where you live but this time of year with temperatures hovering around 100 degrees, under clear Nevada skies that Nevada sun will get a black roof so hot the a/c cannot keep up. Literally, my top would get so hot that it was uncomfortable to hold my hand up against the inside of it. I put up with it for one year....
Jeep Wrangler JL Black vs. body color hard top IMG_5327er

Then decided I'd had enough. I removed the top and, 7 cans of Krylon Fusion Colonial White Paint later, this is what I had. It made a HUGE difference in the interior temperature!
Jeep Wrangler JL Black vs. body color hard top P1120850er

Personally, I think it looks better all white.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I originally ordered a black hardtop as I knew the resell value would be better than the soft top once I got my Ursa Minor top.

6 months later I found a white hard top for sale and bought it then sold the black top. It only cost me a net $200 since I was very patient with the seller (had an offer for 2 months before he accepted).

Overall, I like the painted top much better. It’s cooler and doesn’t contrast with the body.
I feel like the aesthetic depends a lot on the color. For boring colours like white or grey, I think the body color is the way to go. For loud colours like yellow, punkin, or bikini, it seems like black kinda tones it down and makes it less loud.

All personal preference though. I don’t like a flashy car, so it seems my preferences align.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
I beg to differ. It may be different where you live but this time of year with temperatures hovering around 100 degrees, under clear Nevada skies that Nevada sun will get a black roof so hot the a/c cannot keep up. Literally, my top would get so hot that it was uncomfortable to hold my hand up against the inside of it. I put up with it for one year....

Then decided I'd had enough. I removed the top and, 7 cans of Krylon Fusion Colonial White Paint later, this is what I had. It made a HUGE difference in the interior temperature!

Personally, I think it looks better all white.
great looking tj. granted the temp out nv can get up there. i've been to reno, vagas a coupe of times in aug.. here in ny can get hot and add the humdity the temp can feel like 100+.

in general terms any tops will be hot. darker color will retain the heat more than the lighter colors. i (just my views) dont find that bad because in 5 mins the jl will be cool. i've been up and down the east coast on vacation in 90-100 temp and stayed cool. my brother b*thch about darker color vehicle during the summer time and when he drove my jl, he didnt say anything other than how fast it cools down. not picking on your tj (because my brother had one) the ac wanst all that great (even the yj) compared to the jl.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
I'd love to see a picture of that!
I use this one because you can see the bumpers vs the top. Nice and dusty as can be, dust does not "stick" to the ceramic coated top. It also put a small amount of gloss/shine to it. It's still a matte finish, just not faded. Has been on over 1.5 years now. Still looks like the day I did it.

For interior temp and sound, I use the mopar kit and second skin damplifier pro. Big change and improvement.

DSC_0103.JPG

Berrypunch

First Name
Fats
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser GXR
I use this one because you can see the bumpers vs the top. Nice and dusty as can be, dust does not "stick" to the ceramic coated top. It also put a small amount of gloss/shine to it. It's still a matte finish, just not faded. Has been on over 1.5 years now. Still looks like the day I did it.

For interior temp and sound, I use the mopar kit and second skin damplifier pro. Big change and improvement.

Jeep Wrangler JL Black vs. body color hard top DSC_0103.JPG
Beautiful! Great work :like:

JLUCQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I wanted painted fenders but the top didn’t matter to me. I ended up with a black hard-top that came off within 24 hours of ownership and has been off since.
Sponsored