Black vs. body color hard top

chilly_one

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara; Granite Metallic
I was looking to replace my matte finish for a smooth body color black top. I buffed out and ceramic coated the matte finish top. It looks great, factory fresh with no sun fade or oxidation. I'm happy with the matte finish now.

Side note, I do not think you can order a smooth top in black on any other body color? You would have to buy a black body to get smooth / glossy black top. I think.
If you can, please post a picture of your top. I am really interested to see how this came out and what you used to buff and polish it. Thanks!
Sponsored

Steve92004

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2017 JKU, 2004 TJ
When I ordered mine I didn't specify body color top but I did order it with the Sky One Touch Power Top. I just assumed it would come with a black top. It came a body color and I absolutely love it and the power top.
This is my nineth Jeep and it's by far the best. It's all about the Sky Top!

FB_IMG_1596496846590.jpg

Sponsored

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
I will be ordering a 2021 JLUR sometime this fall (after hopefully better color selection is available), and was wondering what people's opinion was on the black vs. body color hard top were. Specifically, I was curious about any paint problems encountered on the body color hard tops, even though I will only be in trees occasionally. I already know that black will make it hotter inside during summer.
Personally speaking, I like the different color top than the body.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I was 100% sure that I was going to buy a body color hardtop. Until I went to the lot and found a body color fender and black hardtop. All white looked like an ambulance to me. (Pardon my opinion in advance for those who have all white Jeeps, LOL).

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I agree. My black Matte has a few scratches in it that I don't know where they came from. But overall, I do enjoy the black matte and it is not "hot" like you would think.

ATLWrangler

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara
This looks really good - I've always liked the look of tan soft tops. Never considered painting a hard top to achieve the same look. Does it stay a bit cooler than black?

Was this done professionally for $600? Or did you buy everything you needed to do the job for $600?

I think having it done with bedliner or something more durable would be nice. My black texture top has chips from removing the freedom panels, despite being very careful.

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
For me it all comes down to maintenance. Matching colored tops and flares= more surface area to chip and wax.. NO THANKS.

Sponsored

jimbobbeg

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
This looks really good - I've always liked the look of tan soft tops. Never considered painting a hard top to achieve the same look. Does it stay a bit cooler than black?

Was this done professionally for $600? Or did you buy everything you needed to do the job for $600?

I think having it done with bedliner or something more durable would be nice. My black texture top has chips from removing the freedom panels, despite being very careful.
The painted color was matched to the color of a factory tan soft top. I live in the desert SW (98 today) and the tan top makes a big difference in interior temp. I also added the Boom Mat headliner kit in white. Along with a sunshade, the inside is amazingly cool even on the hottest days.

I had the top professionally painted for $600. It's technically satin paint, 30% according to the paint shop. They recommended 30% for better durability vs the flatter paint I wanted. I just left the top with them for a few days. I recently put a ceramic coating on the top as well.

Out here in the West, there's not as much brush to deal with.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at both on my Mojito and the black top won hands down. From my perspective, the color top is "too much".

chaynech1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I too think it really comes down to overall color and personal preference. My JK was white and I liked how the black roof broke up the look. Our JL is sting grey and I am loving the look of painted top. One thing I liked about the black one is that I never had to wax it. I was worried about having to be more careful with the freedom tops now, but I plan to get a bestop sunrider for hardtop for in the summer.

ATLWrangler

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara
The painted color was matched to the color of a factory tan soft top. I live in the desert SW (98 today) and the tan top makes a big difference in interior temp. I also added the Boom Mat headliner kit in white. Along with a sunshade, the inside is amazingly cool even on the hottest days.

I had the top professionally painted for $600. It's technically satin paint, 30% according to the paint shop. They recommended 30% for better durability vs the flatter paint I wanted. I just left the top with them for a few days. I recently put a ceramic coating on the top as well.

Out here in the West, there's not as much brush to deal with.
That's awesome - not a bad price either. I think it would look good on my black JLU, but kind of diggin the black on black look, for now at least. If I ever get a soft top, tan is definitely my preference.

But I desperately need some headliners or something. My AC struggles to keep up in this heat after being parked in the sun. Just gotten used to being sweaty - its a jeep thing.

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
I will be ordering a 2021 JLUR sometime this fall (after hopefully better color selection is available), and was wondering what people's opinion was on the black vs. body color hard top were. Specifically, I was curious about any paint problems encountered on the body color hard tops, even though I will only be in trees occasionally. I already know that black will make it hotter inside during summer.
I personally prefer the body-colored hard top option and haven’t had any issues with paint, however my Jeep has a full Ceramic Pro Gold package.
Sponsored