First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired, USAF
This is strictly a personal preference issue. For what it's worth, my personal preference was a color matched top on my Sarge green Rubicon. Generally I think the lighter colors look good with black tops (except White) and the darker colors look good with color matched. If you like it, it's the right choice. Enjoy your new ride.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Sarge Green)
I ordered my Rubicon with the black top! Because i figured if i wanted to switch to soft top down the road, i can easily sell the black top (everyone can use it!) however if you have a body colored top, only owners of that color can buy it (Sarge green in my case, which there aren't many of!)

And the second reason for me to choose a black top was that i may end up installing rack (drill into the top) and a rooftop tent, in that case, it would be a waste to drill into a body colored top!

Either way, your Jeep will look amazing! Good luck!
If I was buying now instead of this fall (hoping blue is available by then), I would go with Sarge Green. Does the color look like in the 2020 Jeep guide? The reason I ask is because when I bought my F150, ford.com had a green that I really liked the look of, but when I saw an actual truck in that color, it looked like a completely different color.

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
If I was buying now instead of this fall (hoping blue is available by then), I would go with Sarge Green. Does the color look like in the 2020 Jeep guide? The reason I ask is because when I bought my F150, ford.com had a green that I really liked the look of, but when I saw an actual truck in that color, it looked like a completely different color.
Wish i could tell you! Mine has not been delivered yet and with the diesel delivery time, i might not even see it for another 3 months :( but i did go to the dealership and see a sarge green in person! Its nothing like the guide! Its much more green in person! Specially in the sun!

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I want to say that there is I believe a difference between a non matching black hard top and a color matched hard top that goes with a black colored JL.

I thought I read that here...and that the sheen and finish of each of the two types of black hard tops are different.

In other words the black hard top on my White Sahara is not simply slapped on black colored rigs as a so called matching top.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I want to say that there is I believe a difference between a non matching black hard top and a color matched hard top that goes with a black colored JL.

I thought I read that here...and that the sheen and finish of each of the two types of black hard tops are different.

In other words the black hard top on my White Sahara is not simply slapped on black colored rigs as a so called matching top.
Yes, we know.
But that wasn’t the question.

Sponsored

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
I went with the unpainted black hardtop and fenders when I ordered my 2020 because the black top breaks up the Granite paint. Having the black hardtop means it gets really hot.. especially here in FL and my Jeep is parked outside 24/7, so I tinted the windows and installed a Hothead headliner kit which made a huge difference. The AC doesn't have to work as hard to cool the Jeep down now either. Worth every penny.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Yes, we know.
But that wasn’t the question.
Jerry, chill.

Not only do threads often regularly take wild tangents, they even more frequently take mild ones like this.

Still more, the OP, at least of this writing, is speaking in hypotheticals having not made a color commitment yet: in fairness black not mentioned. My point was to add "color commentary" (no pun intended) for those reading, in similar situations to the OP, considering black colored rigs, and point out that there may be a distinction between a black body color matched painted hard top, and a basic hard top (that comes in black) for those who don't choose a body color matched hard top....including...yes...those who go with black colored rigs, despite ALL hard tops being painted.

I think the touchup paint may be different too between the black body colored hard top and the basic (black) hard top if what I read here is something I correctly remember, and that sheen and texture differ too. This texture difference likely applies to all body colored tops too, irrespective of color.

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Not to be that guy :movember: but for me it was about how much I use my rig on the trails. Here In MN the tree branches scratch the heck out of the roof, especially since my jeep is lifted. My cousin has the black painted top and I have the matte black. His roof needed to be repainted while my plastic black top has scratches as badges of courage. The fenders are the same story I wish I would have gotten the plastic matte black fenders instead of the painted. I agree that this is personnel preferences but I think Jeep made these non-painted options for the people who trail in the woods.

IMG_5064.JPG

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Definitely agree that it's personal preference. In terms of functionality, they'll be minimal differences. However one thought is that if you happen to order a dual top, you may want to consider the black hard top. I only say that because I've spoken to several people who have dual tops and have considered running the softtop year-round. And if so, the black hardtop would be easier to sell because it can be sold to owners of any color JL, where the body color hardtop could only be sold to an owner of the same color as your Jeep.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
For those committed to outfitting their JL's in the color black--which is utterly fine with me--pick the color that suits you--it's your rig, I truly wonder just how much of a difference there is between the body color matched black hardtop and the basic hardtop (which of course comes only in black color).

Sure, an owner and an someone conversant could spot the difference, but everyone else?

(And yes, I'm aware that from a color wheel standpoint that (pure) black and white aren't colors so much as shades.)

Sponsored

tlknasel

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Web Applications Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Pitch Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with body colored fenders and body colored top. I have no complaints regarding the body colored fenders and top. The Pitch Black Jeeps look awesome (everybody wants to buy my Jeep, I have plenty of business cards from dealer) with the body colored fenders and top. You need use caution when removing the top because of the paint and clear coat and the fenders are painted so you need to be careful of dents, dings and scratches.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Body Colored hard top and fenders look absolutely GREAT.
But they come at a price that exceeded my budget so for me it was black top n fenders. If it’s in your budget....get the painted top & fenders.

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
I will be ordering a 2021 JLUR sometime this fall (after hopefully better color selection is available), and was wondering what people's opinion was on the black vs. body color hard top were. Specifically, I was curious about any paint problems encountered on the body color hard tops, even though I will only be in trees occasionally. I already know that black will make it hotter inside during summer.
Do like I did. Order a black Jeep. Problem solved

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I personally like the colored fender flares and black top combo.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
For those committed to outfitting their JL's in the color black--which is utterly fine with me--pick the color that suits you--it's your rig, I truly wonder just how much of a difference there is between the body color matched black hardtop and the basic hardtop (which of course comes only in black color).

Sure, an owner and an someone conversant could spot the difference, but everyone else?

(And yes, I'm aware that from a color wheel standpoint that (pure) black and white aren't colors so much as shades.)
Body color top will look just like the rest of the Jeep. The other is a matte finish.
Sponsored