Sponsored

Black vs. body color hard top

BadWolf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Sarge Green)
I will be ordering a 2021 JLUR sometime this fall (after hopefully better color selection is available), and was wondering what people's opinion was on the black vs. body color hard top were. Specifically, I was curious about any paint problems encountered on the body color hard tops, even though I will only be in trees occasionally. I already know that black will make it hotter inside during summer.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It’s strictly a matter of personal taste.

Per how the painted hardtop holds: the black hardtop is also painted. They all are made of white fiberglass; some are painted body color; others are painted matte black.

Having owned both, I found the matte black paint scratches more easily.

Good luck.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Strictly from an visual/aesthetic standpoint, to me the black top "reads" Jeep more than the same color as the body. As for preference, as above, personal taste.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Sarge Green)
It’s strictly a matter of personal taste.

Per how the painted hardtop holds: the black hardtop is also painted. They all are made of white fiberglass; some are painted body color; others are painted matte black.

Having owned both, I found the matte black paint scratches more easily.

Good luck.
Thank you. I didn't know black was same top just painted black. Since the finish on black ones wasn't as smooth, I thought it was a different manufacturing process. I guess what I need to decide is whether or not the body color tops are worth the extra money.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That is correct: the black hardtop has a lumpy surface that the body color doesn't have. But they are all white fiberglass underneath.

Sponsored

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
I was looking to replace my matte finish for a smooth body color black top. I buffed out and ceramic coated the matte finish top. It looks great, factory fresh with no sun fade or oxidation. I'm happy with the matte finish now.

Side note, I do not think you can order a smooth top in black on any other body color? You would have to buy a black body to get smooth / glossy black top. I think.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
It comes down to what you want. For my 2020 JLUR, I got the black hard top as part of the dual top group. The black hard top is known for being a little bit more resilient versus the color coded option and also contrasts the white color of my rig. I am also a little bit careless with things and have already scratched my rear when swapping tops and have a scratch on a door when I was removing them. So the resilience of the black top works in my favor as imperfections wont be as visible versus a color coded option.

I usually scratch my head before swapping tops.... maybe I'll try what you do? LoL :CWL:

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
I will be ordering a 2021 JLUR sometime this fall (after hopefully better color selection is available), and was wondering what people's opinion was on the black vs. body color hard top were. Specifically, I was curious about any paint problems encountered on the body color hard tops, even though I will only be in trees occasionally. I already know that black will make it hotter inside during summer.
Had both. The body colored top and painted fenders looked better in the JK but in the JL, which is sportier than the JK, the textured black top/fenders looks more in place.

Even if you don't go under trees, the black textured top will give you less worry with bird droppings, etc.

Movenpuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0L T
This is the reason why I opted for a black JLUR with the dual top. Just my opinion, but I like the look of all black body and top being soft or hard top.

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Love my painted top but I also think it depends on color. I liked the black tops on the JK but on my JL I just think the painted looks better on my all white. Other colors though, I feel the black looks more “right”. One thing from having a black top and now a white one, the Jeep is SOOO much cooler. The black ones are hot to touch but the white never gets hot.

Bowser

First Name
Vishal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara, 2018 BMW M3, 2016 Honda Accord
Highly dependent on your color choice. Personally, I like the black top on white & silver. My old JK had black hardtop and was impossible to keep cool in the hot FL sun.

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
I ordered my Rubicon with the black top! Because i figured if i wanted to switch to soft top down the road, i can easily sell the black top (everyone can use it!) however if you have a body colored top, only owners of that color can buy it (Sarge green in my case, which there aren't many of!)

And the second reason for me to choose a black top was that i may end up installing rack (drill into the top) and a rooftop tent, in that case, it would be a waste to drill into a body colored top!

Either way, your Jeep will look amazing! Good luck!

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Love my painted top but I also think it depends on color. I liked the black tops on the JK but on my JL I just think the painted looks better on my all white. Other colors though, I feel the black looks more “right”. One thing from having a black top and now a white one, the Jeep is SOOO much cooler. The black ones are hot to touch but the white never gets hot.
I got hellayella and I was drawn to the body colored fenders, but black hard top. I also got the dual top option and liked the idea that the Jeep would look similar with either top. Now of course Jeep realized this was the best choice, since you can't get the body colored top for hellayella anymore.
Sponsored