Sponsored

Black Rhino-Nice looking wheels- clearly flawed and “warranty” is unfortunately garbage

Hurlow8

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport
I purchased 5 new Black Rhino Barstow wheels and had Discount Tire order and install. One came in clearly bent (discount tire basically admitted without ‘admitting’ that the person installing the wheel hadn’t noticed). The wheel caused the tire to leak even before leaving the dealer parking lot (went back in and had them refill though it was flat again by that evening). Upon taking the wheel off when I returned to the shop they noticed the very bent wheel (and of course wanted to blame me for hitting a non-existent pothole in the 4 miles back and forth from the shop— but that’s another story).

Apparently Black Rhino will claim that any defects or damages in the wheel are caused by ‘road hazards’ and deny pretty much all warranty claims (according to the manager at discount tire). You can see the clear exclusion in their “warranty” policy and easily under how this could be used in pretty much any claim. The manager couldn’t get them to honor their 1 year structural warranty, so now I simply need to dispute the charge with my CC company since they sold and installed a defective wheel.

For an “off-road” wheel with a structural “warranty” this seems problematic. I should have gone with Fuel or KMC. I should have noticed that there is literally no customer service contact information anywhere on the website before I purchased and considered them and considered this a red-flag.

I love the way the wheels look, but I don’t trust them at all now, and will use another manufacturer next time. Disappointed, with a considerably lighter wallet, and a structurally unsound spare....

9743D490-D51D-41B2-9930-20D8256B3866.jpeg
Sponsored

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Saving seconds saves lives. Trauma Surgery PA.
I purchased 5 new Black Rhino Barstow wheels and had Discount Tire order and install. One came in clearly bent (discount tire basically admitted without ‘admitting’ that the person installing the wheel hadn’t noticed). The wheel caused the tire to leak even before leaving the dealer parking lot (went back in and had them refill though it was flat again by that evening). Upon taking the wheel off when I returned to the shop they noticed the very bent wheel (and of course wanted to blame me for hitting a non-existent pothole in the 4 miles back and forth from the shop— but that’s another story).

Apparently Black Rhino will claim that any defects or damages in the wheel are caused by ‘road hazards’ and deny pretty much all warranty claims (according to the manager at discount tire). You can see the clear exclusion in their “warranty” policy and easily under how this could be used in pretty much any claim. The manager couldn’t get them to honor their 1 year structural warranty, so now I simply need to dispute the charge with my CC company since they sold and installed a defective wheel.

For an “off-road” wheel with a structural “warranty” this seems problematic. I should have gone with Fuel or KMC. I should have noticed that there is literally no customer service contact information anywhere on the website before I purchased and considered them and considered this a red-flag.

I love the way the wheels look, but I don’t trust them at all now, and will use another manufacturer next time. Disappointed, with a considerably lighter wallet, and a structurally unsound spare....

9743D490-D51D-41B2-9930-20D8256B3866.jpeg
I just installed the Black Rhino Barstow wheels and while Tire Kingdom was balancing the wheels they detected that one of the inner rims was bent but said they did not have any difficulty balancing it. They said they put the tire with the bent rim on the rear passenger side stating that in this location I shouldn't notice it. RED FLAG! So I immediately contacted Discount Tire Direct and they told me that they would order me a new wheel.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
This unfortunately really has become more of a common problem these days. With the wheel business being so big just about anyone can start a wheel business and it is really hard to find quality as most is just junk. People buy on looks and cheapest price. Most people don’t want to pay for quality (again because it is tough to decipher) so they go looks and price. These wheel companies open and when their rep gets bad enough or they owe enough people money they easily run vanish and just create a new name building the same crap. A company that was making performance sports car wheels scammed a whole mess of people because they suckered lots of folks in with the good looks and cheap price,

Having said that you would really think Discount Tire would step up here as they are a distributor and shouldn’t be carrying a crappy wheel. Crazy that they are not helping out.

Good luck with the resolve. Hope it all works out.

OP
OP

Hurlow8

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport
Another bent Barstow? I’m starting to think this might be a design flaw- maybe I should have a more reputable shop look at all of them.

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Saving seconds saves lives. Trauma Surgery PA.
Another bent Barstow? I’m starting to think this might be a design flaw- maybe I should have a more reputable shop look at all of them.
Yes. And as you know, the cost of these wheels was not cheap. Unfortunately made in China but I'd bet other big name wheel manufacturers outsource to China as well.

Sponsored

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear about all of this and hope this gets resolved professionally !
I have the Warlords with Zero issues and I did my home work before purchasing . I did run across a few articles on counterfeit BR wheels from Manila ...not sure if this relates to your misfortune but again I hope this gets resolved so you can enjoy your Rig !

013.jpg

016.jpg

095.jpg

20180914_114428.jpg

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Usually Discount Tire is great in regard to customer service and any issues if they arise. Contact customer service. They will correct the issue if the store doesn't. If the tire was leaking prior to leaving then most likely the wheel was bent when it arrived.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
I am very disappointed in discount tire , much more than the Chinese wheels. Discount tire sold you the wheels , they mounted the wheels , they represent the manufacture of those wheels because discount tire decided to carry that brand it’s their obligation to make sure that the quality is up to par they have the proper liability insurance and the wheels are safe. Your whole mess unfortunately lies with the people at discount tire. I would definitely dispute that credit card charge and would go on Yelp or any other public forum and explain your story about discount tire you may get contacted by a higher up management person.

OP
OP

Hurlow8

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport
I am very disappointed in discount tire , much more than the Chinese wheels. Discount tire sold you the wheels , they mounted the wheels , they represent the manufacture of those wheels because discount tire decided to carry that brand it’s their obligation to make sure that the quality is up to par they have the proper liability insurance and the wheels are safe. Your whole mess unfortunately lies with the people at discount tire. I would definitely dispute that credit card charge and would go on Yelp or any other public forum and explain your story about discount tire you may get contacted by a higher up management person.
I was very disappointed in discount tires as well (though not nearly as annoyed as I was with Black Rhino- next time I’ll go with Fuel).
I did dispute the charge and Discount tire did elect to replace the damaged wheel (with no warranty assistance from Black Rhino). So it worked out- except I dont really trust my BR wheels for off-roading at this point- hopefully they’ll surprise me.

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I agree, discount tire should’ve taken care of this since you got them through them. Nornallly DT is very good at handling customer service issues, odd your store chose to blame you or take a back seat.

I also have the barstows and from my experience talking to my Jeep installer, most wheel companies use the same Chinese factories for the off-road wheels. This could be more of a shipping issue than manufacturing as well. I’ve had bad experiences with bad shipping or packaging.

I haven’t had any issues with my Barstows and I’ve had them for a couple months now. I’ll check for bents today though.

Sponsored

DToxic

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
was really looking forward to these wheels...but now I'm not so sure.

Deltabarone

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler Jl
Sorry to hear about all of this and hope this gets resolved professionally !
I have the Warlords with Zero issues and I did my home work before purchasing . I did run across a few articles on counterfeit BR wheels from Manila ...not sure if this relates to your misfortune but again I hope this gets resolved so you can enjoy your Rig !

013.jpg

016.jpg

095.jpg

20180914_114428.jpg
Hello Dan, I’m also in the Sarasota area, can u recommend a good 4x4 shop in our area for a lift?

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Aftermarket products are always a crapshoot. I can't recall all the times Ive bought aftermarket parts only to have fit problems or quality problems.

jc_jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Definitely bummed to read this. I was looking at purchasing some Black Rhinos.
Sponsored