Sponsored

Black (not body color) Hard Top Care - Wax / 303 / Recommendations?

rhocking

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2.0T JLU Sport S
Anyone got recommendations for best ways and best products to care for Black (not body color) Hard Tops?

Seems like wax might not be appropriate for the Hard Top paint. Maybe a protectant like the 303 UV protectant? I have been using 303 on the black textured fenders and for me it seems to keep the fender flares looking nice. I have also heard good things about Cerakote but have no actual experience with it.

What about ceramic coating? Anyone tried this on Hard Top or is this designed more for regular body paints.

Recommendations for caring for Hard Top paint please.
Sponsored

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
I’ve done a spray on wax (wax as you dry) and that’s worked really well for me. I honestly don’t remember what wax it is right now. Personally, I wouldn’t invest any more in doing anything other than that.

I’ve seen where some people use 303 but I haven’t done that personally so I can’t speak to how well that works.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Turtle Wax Ice will work well, it actually doesn’t have real wax in it, it’s synthetic. It works well on textured plastic too
Regular wax will leave white residue in the finish that you will never get out completely.

I’ve also used Griot’s detail spray. 303 would be okay, it’s water based with no solvents. 303 also has a spray ceramic now that just came out. I don’t think the regular ceramic coatings will do any harm, but I have no experience with them.

Stay away from Armor All, Back to Black or any greasy tire shine products. The solvents and oils in them will damage the thin matte black paint on these hardtops. A lot of hardtops you see with the finish coming off have had these type of products used on them.

My opinion is to use as little product as necessary. The top has a matte finish and is meant to be that way.
Sponsored