Sponsored

Black Lug Nuts?

DavidJH

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Sahara Altitude, 2008 Toyota Sequoia.
Occupation
FireMedic, Pre-Hospital Care Consultant.
Hello.

I have a 4dr 2020 Ocean Blue Metallic JLU Sahara Altitude edition, and just noticed that the lug nuts are chrome as opposed to being blacked out like all the other trim/badging that the Altitude edition highlights.

My question is: has anyone swapped out their chrome lug nuts with a black version, and if so what brand? Popping around on sites like Amazon, Extreme Terrain, Quadratec, etc. has left my mind spinning as to what a quality brand is and the cost factor for a set of 23 lug nuts with and without the wheel locks. I've seen them from the $30 range all the way up to the mid $100's.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Thanks!
Sponsored

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Hello.

I have a 4dr 2020 Ocean Blue Metallic JLU Sahara Altitude edition, and just noticed that the lug nuts are chrome as opposed to being blacked out like all the other trim/badging that the Altitude edition highlights.

My question is: has anyone swapped out their chrome lug nuts with a black version, and if so what brand? Popping around on sites like Amazon, Extreme Terrain, Quadratec, etc. has left my mind spinning as to what a quality brand is and the cost factor for a set of 23 lug nuts with and without the wheel locks. I've seen them from the $30 range all the way up to the mid $100's.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Thanks!
Well I bought black Gorilla brand for my AEV wheels and they are really nice. They do require a special adapter for the locking part. I think every lug has it. They were more expensive and I got a tip from another thread to buy them and saved a lot. I forget where I got them but it was not Quadratec or Northridge. May have been extreme terrain. Check those other threads or even trace back mine because I thanked them . I was looking today for my kids JK bec I am giving her my upgrade Rubicon wheels and on Quadratec I was looking at chrome for $1 each or black for $1.36 also Gorilla brand but they are regular acorn style without locks. I don’t think you would be disappointed with Gorilla or McGard. I would stay away from cheaper ones personally.

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
David,

Also bought the Gorilla lug nuts in the black locking version. Every lug nut looks the same and uses, I believe what they call, a "spline key" to unlock. To get them on and off you will need this "key" for every one of them. Will certainly slow down your typical neighborhood thief. The kit came with 23 lug nuts (five for each wheel and three for the spare) and the "key." Bought them at Summit Racing for about $125 (if memory serves me right) and free shipping. They look nice (& black) and much better than the factory chrome nut.

Strongly recommend.

Steve
Jeep Wrangler JL Black Lug Nuts? 1605470907101

Jeep Wrangler JL Black Lug Nuts? 1605470925047

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I only use and recommend Gorilla lug nuts. I use their system. Every lug nut needs the key. I've seen some bad stuff shipped to customers with the cheapo Amazon options.

20200925_144221.jpg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Sponsored

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
For stock wheels the Gorilla setup is awesome, if you have aftermarket wheels or planning to get some they "might" be too big for some types. I had to shave down my Gorilla locks for my aftermarket wheels. Here's an old thread I posted on that
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/looking-for-better-safer-lug-nuts.43461/
That’s the thread that got me started. Thanks. Then I was on a thread called, “AEV Rims, which lug nuts “, and was given the tip to “justforjeeps.com” I got my Gorilla lugs there and saved a bunch. I got the acorn style with 5 spline locks

OP
OP
DavidJH

DavidJH

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
OP
OP
DavidJH

DavidJH

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
David,

Also bought the Gorilla lug nuts in the black locking version. Every lug nut looks the same and uses, I believe what they call, a "spline key" to unlock. To get them on and off you will need this "key" for every one of them. Will certainly slow down your typical neighborhood thief. The kit came with 23 lug nuts (five for each wheel and three for the spare) and the "key." Bought them at Summit Racing for about $125 (if memory serves me right) and free shipping. They look nice (& black) and much better than the factory chrome nut.

Strongly recommend.

Steve
Jeep Wrangler JL Black Lug Nuts? 20200925_144221

OP
OP
DavidJH

DavidJH

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Great, ty! And that's a cool A-pillar bracket and marker light. Can you tell me what that set up is?

David

OLLOMAN

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Technology Consultant

Sponsored

OP
OP
DavidJH

DavidJH

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That’s the thread that got me started. Thanks. Then I was on a thread called, “AEV Rims, which lug nuts “, and was given the tip to “justforjeeps.com” I got my Gorilla lugs there and saved a bunch. I got the acorn style with 5 spline locks
Just looked on the "justforjeeps.com site" and they list there at $97.50. Great deal. Thanks for the link!!!

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
David,

Strongly recommend.

Steve

I’m going to get these wheels. Would you mind posting a link to those lug nuts? Thanks!

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
I’m going to get these wheels. Would you mind posting a link to those lug nuts? Thanks!
Well, I would, except I cannot find them on Summit Racing’s site at the moment. Bought them last spring; don’t know if they have been discontinued or not. I see, however, a number of posts here and elsewhere as to alternatives that would work. And, unfortunately, I’m at my winter home and nowhere near my Jeep records for a couple of months to check the actual part number.

FWIW, there was either 23 or 24 shipped (getting older, memory not as good). Will keep searching online.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!