Black Hardtop Protection

periopnurse

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
New Jeep owner and lucky to have found this forum. Learned a lot so far. Was wondering what folks that have the black Freedom Hard top use for protection. Not sure if any of the liquid waxes work or if a product specific to the material used is better. Looking for UV protection to keep from fading. Thanks
Sponsored

JLsport19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
New Jeep owner and lucky to have found this forum. Learned a lot so far. Was wondering what folks that have the black Freedom Hard top use for protection. Not sure if any of the liquid waxes work or if a product specific to the material used is better. Looking for UV protection to keep from fading. Thanks
That's a good question. I'll be following this thread

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@periopnurse
@JLsport19

Well, the hardtop is painted so it can be waxed, which many guys / gals do. Many use wax and 303 Protectorant..

By the way, if you ever need to touch-up, the regular black hardtop, (not the color matched black hardtop) you would use OEM PXF Paint Color.

For little specs you need to fix, a Black Sharpie works great..

hardtop-paint.jpg

For the gaskets on the hardtop and header and other JL door gaskets, this is very good and the applicator is terrific:

lll.JPG

OP
OP
periopnurse

periopnurse

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
@periopnurse
@JLsport19

Well, the hardtop is painted so it can be waxed, which many guys / gals do. Many use wax and 303 Protectorant..

By the way, if you ever need to touch-up, the regular black hardtop, (not the color matched black hardtop) you would use OEM PXF Paint Color.

For little specs you need to fix, a Black Sharpie works great..

hardtop-paint.jpg

For the gaskets on the hardtop and header and other JL door gaskets, this is very good and the applicator is terrific:

lll.JPG
Thanks for the info. I've got plenty of 303 from using in the motorhome so I'll use that after cleaning it. I've seen so many bad looking RV's from sun/UV damage and don't want that look on my Jeep.

Leon

mandrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
303 works great. Also, Mothers and Megs protectants have UV blocker.

Sponsored

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Someone mentioned Turtle Wax Ice in another thread.

I just tried it and it seemed to work very well. It's nice to use one product on the whole car, including paint, hard top, and fender flares.

Lmike6453

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude (Black)
Can I use this stuff I already have laying around?

Annotation 2019-06-22 102625.jpg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
My JK is 12 years old and all I've ever done is wash it. In auto touchless car washes it gets the wax treatment, but that's it. It still looks great.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

I just tried it and it seemed to work very well. It's nice to use one product on the whole car, including paint, hard top, and fender flares.

Yep, Ice is fantastic. You can use it on anything. The rubber and stickers on my 12 year old JK's hood look brand new, as does the paint, after only using Ice all those years. It is the bargain of the century in car sealants, IMO. I use it on headlight lenses and even the windshield. I never used it on the hard top, but I can't see why it wouldn't be outstanding. No white residue, either, and the hotter and more direct the sunlight, the better.

The new Ice seal and shine is different, though, and I don't think you can use it on plastic, rubber, or decals. Just read the directions before use. It seems to be a great product, though, too.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Reviving this thread as I’m about to put my hard top back on for the season. Has anyone tried Aero Cosmetics Wash and Wax All on their unpainted hard top yet? The stuff seems to work great as a wash and or wax for the paint, just wondering about the hard top really before I give it a go.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Update....Turtlewax Ice Seal n Shine can be used on plastic, rubber, and vinyl stickers, same as regular Ice! I bought a bottle and the label confirms it. I'll be going over my hard top, along with everything else, today or tomorrow.

Frustration

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19-JLU
UNPAINTED HARD TOPS???
Adam's Ceramic trim coating...
(I just mentioned this stuff in another thread as well for the plastic wheel flares). It's VERY good on black plastic. lasts much longer than 303 and other sprays. There is a ceramic restorer as well for faded things.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
The painted part, I just use the TW Seal and Shine after washing on the wife's Sahara and on my new Rubicon, I ceramic coated it with Armor Sheild and will use the TW on it after washing.

Per the gaskets and rubber, I like 303 and Mcguires

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Just wondering how this stuff has worked and if you're still using it? How often do you apply it?

Happen to have a link?

Debating this versus the 303 protectant. First time Jeep owner and my biggest worry is basically the black top fading lol. Want to do what I can to keep it looking good.

UNPAINTED HARD TOPS???
Adam's Ceramic trim coating...
(I just mentioned this stuff in another thread as well for the plastic wheel flares). It's VERY good on black plastic. lasts much longer than 303 and other sprays. There is a ceramic restorer as well for faded things.

Tiger1

First Name
Tiger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, 2016 BMW 435

Agree. The Turtle Wax Ice product now has a new formula with UV protection I believe. It has no curing time, can be sprayed on the entire vehicle, & leaves no residue like traditional wax. I've been using it this year on all our vehicles & it's been excellent with good longevity.

Sponsored