Black Hard Top vs. Body Color Hard Top

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I test drove a JL with a body colored top a couple day ago and the sales guy told me the top was aluminum and much lighter. I took the drivers side panel off and it seemed lighter, but I had not taken a top off for years. The sales guy at Bill Luke in Phoenix claims that 1 person can lift the entire top off without any help.
Not sure if the standard black hardtops are aluminum as well.
I am sure one person can. Who that one person is, of course, is probably important.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I test drove a JL with a body colored top a couple day ago and the sales guy told me the top was aluminum and much lighter. I took the drivers side panel off and it seemed lighter, but I had not taken a top off for years. The sales guy at Bill Luke in Phoenix claims that 1 person can lift the entire top off without any help.
It's a polycarbonate material. Unless they've snuck something into the framework of the window, there's no aluminum in it at all.

That being said, take everything a sales guy at a Jeep dealership says with a grain of salt. I have yet to encounter one that knows anything about Wranglers.

OP
OP
WranglerJLU4Greg

WranglerJLU4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Patriot
I am pretty sure they are plastic, but I would not swear to it.
Thank you for that information. I guess I am going to have to go to one of the bigger dealerships in my area and see both black and painted tops. If the painted top is aluminum, the head liner would make more sense for retention of inside temperature and some sound insulation.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WranglerJLU4Greg

WranglerJLU4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Patriot
Does anyone know the price difference between the standard hard top and the body color top?
Still waiting for the JL's to hit here on Long Island. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
$1,095.00 for black hard top; $2,095 for painted hard top.

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of the headliner on the hard top, can anyone confirm that the headliner goes down the sides of the rear windows just like in the pictures on the build a Jeep site? I saw a JK with a headliner and it didn't come down the sides of the rear.

crash13

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I am sure one person can. Who that one person is, of course, is probably important.
Saw a guy do this for a JK (can't locate the video now) and basically after removing all the bolts, he placed a 2x8 board as a ramp onto the rear. Went inside, obviously with the door open and glass up, leaned over while standing in the middle and picked the whole thing up on his back. Casually walked down the plank and placed the top on the ground. He did seem like a decently large guy....

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Saw a guy do this for a JK (can't locate the video now) and basically after removing all the bolts, he placed a 2x8 board as a ramp onto the rear. Went inside, obviously with the door open and glass up, leaned over while standing in the middle and picked the whole thing up on his back. Casually walked down the plank and placed the top on the ground. He did seem like a decently large guy....
I've done that several times with my TJ, and I'm certainly not a huge man. 6'1", 175.

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
Perhaps this is the guy that lifts the entire top without help
AA35902D-B0DC-45FD-A06C-0B4F133445C1.gif

Sponsored

Badasssuperdad

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 QX8O
It takes 2 people to lift the entire back portion off.

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Speaking of the headliner on the hard top, can anyone confirm that the headliner goes down the sides of the rear windows just like in the pictures on the build a Jeep site? I saw a JK with a headliner and it didn't come down the sides of the rear.
It does go around the rear windows

kholding

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
I'm pretty confident the top is not aluminum. It appeared to be some type of hardened styrofoam composite.

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
I was on the fence when ordering my JL but when looking back at my JK's theres simply no way to justify the paint match top when i guarantee it'll get scratched, if not when removed for sure off-roading. Now it's a waiting game. I literally changed my mind 25 times, cold weather group...yes then no, NAV..no then yes, leather or cloth...leather..etc etc

u00bgg2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Jeep roof are glass reinforced composite, they are NOT fiberglass. The technical term for the material is SMC, or sheet molded composite. The material type is virtually the same on the JL vs JK, the difference is the design of the inner portion you see and the texturing on the inside verse what was on the JK. Both tops come out of the molding process with out texture, the black roofs are textured during the painting process, the solid ones are not.
Sponsored