Black Hard Top vs. Body Color Hard Top

WranglerJLU4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Patriot
Yesterday I went to my local dealer. They had a 2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in white with a black hard top. The black hard top was solid, and looks and sounds like it is made of a strong composite material. Can anyone tell me if the JLU Sahara Body Color top is metal. If so, would I be better served to get a headliner with that top?

Overall, my impression of the Wrangler JLU is that they are build like a tank, very solid. I plan to order mine to get exactly what I want for options. The Sahara would be my choice, I just to have get the right hard top.

Love JLWF! Every one I have chatted with is so nice. Must be the common bond of the Wrangler JL/JLU.
Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Yesterday I went to my local dealer. They had a 2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in white with a black hard top. The black hard top was solid, and looks and sounds like it is made of a strong composite material. Can anyone tell me if the JLU Sahara Body Color top is metal. If so, would I be better served to get a headliner with that top?

Overall, my impression of the Wrangler JLU is that they are build like a tank, very solid. I plan to order mine to get exactly what I want for options. The Sahara would be my choice, I just to have get the right hard top.

Love JLWF! Every one I have chatted with is so nice. Must be the common bond of the Wrangler JL/JLU.
The hard tops are all exactly the same except for paint color.

mlong003

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Same material with painted or black! The new JLU hard tops do appear to be a different composite/plastic material then the JKU though. I was checking out a JLU the other day. At first glance/touch, the panels seem like hard styrofoam. I took off the freedom panels and they are def noticeably lighter. I wonder how they compare to the JKU with road/wind noise and insulation?

OP
OP
WranglerJLU4Greg

WranglerJLU4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Patriot
Same material with painted or black! The new JLU hard tops do appear to be a different composite/plastic material then the JKU though. I was checking out a JLU the other day. At first glance/touch, the panels seem like hard styrofoam. I took off the freedom panels and they are def noticeably lighter. I wonder how they compare to the JKU with road/wind noise and insulation?
Thank you.

Sponsored

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
The hard tops are all exactly the same except for paint color.
I believe the painted tops have a much smoother surface which gives them the ability to paint them (and have the shiny metallic look), but I agree it is the same material.

OP
OP
WranglerJLU4Greg

WranglerJLU4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Patriot
I believe the painted tops have a much smoother surface which gives them the ability to paint them (and have the shiny metallic look), but I agree it is the same material.
Chad, Thank you.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I think the body colour tops have a smooth paintable surface while the black tops have a plastic textured surface. The body colour tops will be much more prone to scratching when moving them around.

OP
OP
WranglerJLU4Greg

WranglerJLU4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Patriot
Thank you. I understand that both tops are the same material, I think the paint is what threw me off, as it has the polished gloss look.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WranglerJLU4Greg

WranglerJLU4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Patriot
Thank you. I am convinced that I will go with the painted top to match the painted fenders, which have a black edge to them.

brettmbc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmwx5
I test drove a JL with a body colored top a couple day ago and the sales guy told me the top was aluminum and much lighter. I took the drivers side panel off and it seemed lighter, but I had not taken a top off for years. The sales guy at Bill Luke in Phoenix claims that 1 person can lift the entire top off without any help.
Not sure if the standard black hardtops are aluminum as well.

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I test drove a JL with a body colored top a couple day ago and the sales guy told me the top was aluminum and much lighter. I took the drivers side panel off and it seemed lighter, but I had not taken a top off for years. The sales guy at Bill Luke in Phoenix claims that 1 person can lift the entire top off without any help.
I am pretty sure they are plastic, but I would not swear to it.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I think I would ask him for a first hand demonstration! :like:

Nations

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Granite Crystal Metallic Rubicon XR
Occupation
IT
Does anyone know the price difference between the standard hard top and the body color top?
Still waiting for the JL's to hit here on Long Island. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Sponsored