Black Bear Pass

OldGreen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps. All Jeeps. LJ, XJ, CJ, WK2
Finally got a video together of Black Bear 2 weeks ago. IF you like this kind of content, please subscribe to my channel. The YouTube algorithm picked up this video so good things are happening!

Sponsored

Last edited:

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Great video especially the drone shots. I’m also from WA. What was your route to CO? Did you do hotels or camp?

OP
OP

OldGreen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great video especially the drone shots. I’m also from WA. What was your route to CO? Did you do hotels or camp?
We went down through Grand Junction and back through Moab. 84 to 15 and then Soldier Summit to Price. Hotels this time there and back. Air BnB at Cascade Creek near Purgatory. Would have been nice to have been closer to Silverton, but the house was amazing.

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I’m on a 9 day road trip now through Montana towing my Travel trailer - Jeep is at home and I’m thinking of doing Black Bear in a few weeks, but the COVID thing has me rethinking it. It’s been nice to control my living situation in my trailer and meals, but not excited at having to deal with hotels and restaurants all the way.

OP
OP

OldGreen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I’m on a 9 day road trip now through Montana towing my Travel trailer - Jeep is at home and I’m thinking of doing Black Bear in a few weeks, but the COVID thing has me rethinking it. It’s been nice to control my living situation in my trailer and meals, but not excited at having to deal with hotels and restaurants all the way.
There is a TON of camping. Remote, campground, RV Parks...whatever you want. We are camping next time.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
we just did a 2 week wheeling trip from Texas thru NM, CO, UT, AZ, NV and CA and stayed in a hotel every night except one when we camped out on the rubicon trail. It’s not bad. Each state is different with NM being the strictest with 2 and older required to wear masks. Don’t know if their 14 day out of state quarantine was lifted or not though. We are a lot of meal on the deck of the trailer but all it all considering how looney some of the states we drove thru are wasn’t bad at all.

brett

Offroad

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 WK2
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
In my job, we test prototype vehicles, often offroad. One of my coworkers was testing 3 on black bear pass about 10 years ago. One of vehicles broke a tie rod near the summit in late afternoon. He has lots of stories about trying to navigate the switchbacks on the way down!

I've never been. It's on my bucket list for sure. Awesome video!

TheJanitor6203

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2.0 turbo, auto
Finally got a video together of Black Bear 2 weeks ago.

Did you do any others on the Badge of Honor list in the area? I’m currently at my cabin near Creede Co and I just bought a 2020 JLUR. I did Engineer Pass last month in a rented JLU Sport and never even used 4 wheel drive. I’m thinking to hit Engineer, Black Bear, Imogene, and Poughkeepsie over the weekend but want to make sure a stock JLUR with no winch will be ok out there. What do you think?

OP
OP

OldGreen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you do any others on the Badge of Honor list in the area? I’m currently at my cabin near Creede Co and I just bought a 2020 JLUR. I did Engineer Pass last month in a rented JLU Sport and never even used 4 wheel drive. I’m thinking to hit Engineer, Black Bear, Imogene, and Poughkeepsie over the weekend but want to make sure a stock JLUR with no winch will be ok out there. What do you think?
I did all of those. Careful line choice on Poughkeepsie. Have fun!! Do it.

TheJanitor6203

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did all of those. Careful line choice on Poughkeepsie. Have fun!! Do it.
Mind sharing your route? Current thinking is to start on Engineer in Lake City to Poughkeepsie then into Silverton for lunch then Black Bear to Telluride for night. Then Imogene in the morning. From there I haven’t quite figured out a route back to Lake City but I’m sure I’ll figure it out.

Sponsored

OP
OP

OldGreen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mind sharing your route? Current thinking is to start on Engineer in Lake City to Poughkeepsie then into Silverton for lunch then Black Bear to Telluride for night. Then Imogene in the morning. From there I haven’t quite figured out a route back to Lake City but I’m sure I’ll figure it out.
Do that... then Cinnamon back to Lake City

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
I can see you needing a winch possibly in Poughkeepsie on the wall if you don’t run the right line. We spotted a stock height JKUR on 35s with street tires up the wall. All the others should be a piece of cake. Might need 4wd on imogene. Going down on BB I preferred to use the hill descent.

TheJanitor6203

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can see you needing a winch possibly in Poughkeepsie on the wall if you don’t run the right line. We spotted a stock height JKUR on 35s with street tires up the wall. All the others should be a piece of cake. Might need 4wd on imogene. Going down on BB I preferred to use the hill descent.
Thanks. Is a spotter necessary anywhere?

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
For a stock Jeep on Poughkeepsie... not a bad idea
Agree. I watched a few videos before our trip to pick the line. Once we got there, that all went out the window. Completely different animal in person. What worked for us was going at it at an angle then straddling the crack.
Sponsored