Black Bear Colorado August 2022

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Glad to hear that we can at least experience some of this legendary trail before turning back. Even if it becomes one-way before the steps, is it an option to pull off, park, and hike out to the steps to watch the action?
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
We did it this past summer and I thought we would find a clearing to stop, get out, and watch for a bit before we started the descent.

I saw no clearing, nor a sign saying it becomes one way traffic. In fact we were already ON the steps when I realized we were starting the descent. I’d recommend setting a waypoint in your nav system so you don’t do the same.
Jeep Wrangler JL Black Bear Colorado August 2022 A74B0244-0E08-469F-A492-E8448AED28A1

There are also a handful of off camber steps leading up to “The steps” that need to be respected. You can do it completely stock but you can also roll your vehicle if not careful.

(1) Texas to Colorado 2021 | Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, 4xe, 392 - JLwranglerforums.com

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
We did it this past summer and I thought we would find a clearing to stop, get out, and watch for a bit before we started the descent.

I saw no clearing, nor a sign saying it becomes one way traffic. In fact we were already ON the steps when I realized we were starting the descent. I’d recommend setting a waypoint in your nav system so you don’t do the same.
Jeep Wrangler JL Black Bear Colorado August 2022 A74B0244-0E08-469F-A492-E8448AED28A1

There are also a handful of off camber steps leading up to “The steps” that need to be respected. You can do it completely stock but you can also roll your vehicle if not careful.

(1) Texas to Colorado 2021 | Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, 4xe, 392 - JLwranglerforums.com
Here's the sign, it was in place in Sept of this year. Not exactly sure of the location.
Jeep Wrangler JL Black Bear Colorado August 2022 img_5192

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
Here's the sign, it was in place in Sept of this year. Not exactly sure of the location.
Jeep Wrangler JL Black Bear Colorado August 2022 img_5192
Thanks! After more closely reviewing google earth and reading this particular sign, it looks like the trail is officially designated as one-way after the summit of Black Bear Pass. Google shows one-way arrows starting just after the summit, and so it would make sense that this sign is close to there.

Just wanted to see if there was a way to experience the initial parts of this trail while fully respecting and not getting in the way of those there to tackle the entire run. I certainly did not want to cause any backups or unsafe trail conditions by going the wrong direction. Very much appreciate this info everyone.

tomd

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' JL
Snow is getting deep in Wisconsin, plenty cold too. My mind drifts to this summer trip!
I can't wait.

Sponsored

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Glad to hear that we can at least experience some of this legendary trail before turning back. Even if it becomes one-way before the steps, is it an option to pull off, park, and hike out to the steps to watch the action?
Pretty sure it is on that first downhill part after the summit where the sign is. You are capable of driving this. Just have to stay super focused and try to remain calm. Accidents happen when people get to close to a wall and start to climb it and then roll (on the downhill portion after summit). Goal is no different than driving in a single lane on the highway. Your goal is to stay in that lane. Same on Black Bear. Just lane is much narrower is all and stakes much higher if you don't maintain your lane. If you're afraid of heights is when it gets scary.

You can park at summit though and walk down to the steps portion. Or lower and back up if you'd like.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Hiking from the Summit to the steps will take quite a while. It's a good distance. Not only that, but you will be in the way of the vehicles continuing on down the trail. I don't recommend it. Honestly, there really is no "action". It pretty much becomes a traffic jam during the busy season. Especially if someone flops their Toyota. lol

ZigZag

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR (Hellayella)
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

Thanks! After more closely reviewing google earth and reading this particular sign, it looks like the trail is officially designated as one-way after the summit of Black Bear Pass. Google shows one-way arrows starting just after the summit, and so it would make sense that this sign is close to there.
Generally one day a year they turn it around and it is one-way up. I have always wanted to catch that day but haven't done so yet.
Sponsored