Sponsored

Bizarre response from dealership for steering wobble and transmission issue

stingray56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
EDIT: I wanted to post a quick update for anyone struggling with this. If you have a steering wobble at interstate speeds, I highly recommend starting with the track bar bushing. It's a fairly cheap part to replace and can make a big difference.

With regard to the transmission issue, I am pretty sure it had something to do with an engine issue I was having. I just made another thread about it. Basically, the turbo cooler was leaking and causing the Jeep to struggle quite a bit. Since I had that fixed, the transmission hasn't hesitated. I guess maybe the lack of power was confusing the computer? I have no idea, but it's fixed for now. :like:

The wobble issue
My Jeep started to develop the wobbling issue at around 18,000 miles. Basically, if you hit a bump over 55 mph, there is a chance that the wheel starts shaking violently and does not stop until you slow down to around 25-30 mph. I made an appointment with the dealership to have it resolved.

A day after I dropped the car off, the dealership called and said that the steering damper was faulty and needed to be replaced. I had already had the steering damper replaced once after the recall notice was issued. This particular damper has maybe 8,000 miles on it. Instead of replacing it, they "reinstalled and reactuated" the current one and that the issue was fixed. I asked if I could just wait until new ones arrived, and the person stated that they had no idea when new dampers would arrive.

I went to pick up the Jeep and asked to speak to a manager before leaving. The manager explained that the only thing they would do about the wobble at this stage was to replace the steering damper. He stated that the wobble was a known issue, but that Jeep/FCA/whatever hasn't identified what the cause is and that the only thing they can do for now is to keep putting dampers in the vehicles. He then told me an anecdote that the dealership had an engineer from Jeep come out and ride with a customer to experience the issue and that the engineer said that the issue was totally normal and that the symptom is just a consequence of the car being an off-road vehicle.

The transmission issue
The car has started to do something very strange at highway speeds. Basically, if you cruise at 45-50 mph, every now and then, the transmission (8-speed auto) seems to hesitate or cut off for a second every 30 seconds or so. It's almost as if fuel iss being briefly cut off from the engine. The problem persists until you turn the car off. The issue does not cause a light to come on. I decided to put the transmission into "manual" mode and try to isolate the issue. I found that it only does it in 7th gear at 45-50 mph when the engine is warmed up. It only does it about 1 in 5 times that you drive it.

I brought this up to the dealership in the same visit as above. The representative told me they won't take steps to fix it for now because it didn't throw a code but that she would ask the tech about it. When I picked the Jeep up, I was told that the tech stated that the car naturally will struggle at that speed in that gear and that the issue was completely normal.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
On the wobble issue, the problem is worn steering components. These components did wear out due to a faulty steering damper, but now that they are worn, they are worn, and additional dampers will not help.

You need to take the plunge and replace the track bar, drag link, and tie rods with Steer Smarts Yeti components, and at the same time put either a fox or teraflex steering damper on. Dont waste your time screwing around with anything else, dont talk to dealers, just bite the bullet and replace the components. Then, submit a warranty reimbursement claim to Stellantis, and email the CEO if necessary. You will likely get reimbursed. I was able to get reimbursed and it wasn't terribly difficult.

Unfortunately you need to just handle it yourself. Take it to 4WP or another reputable shop, have them put all the components in, put a wrench on all other bolts in the system, and do an alignment. Should be fixed after that.

On the transmission thing, maybe get a tazer and set the right tire size and gear ratio. Were bigger tires put on this thing? If so, could be the wrong calibration.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
I'd certainly try another dealer before embarking on the DIY project.
I wouldn't, and its not DIY, I said to have a shop professionally install the parts.

This has been a years-long thread with thousands of experiences. Dealerships will do whatever it takes to do as little work as possible. Thats why this dealership is recommending another band-aid damper, because they are hoping it lasts long enough to get through the warranty period.

OP - your choice it to dick around for years with dealers while driving an unsafe vehicle, or just buy the right parts, have them installed, and be done with it. Hopefully with a reimbursement.

OP
OP

stingray56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't, and its not DIY, I said to have a shop professionally install the parts.

This has been a years-long thread with thousands of experiences. Dealerships will do whatever it takes to do as little work as possible. Thats why this dealership is recommending another band-aid damper, because they are hoping it lasts long enough to get through the warranty period.

OP - your choice it to dick around for years with dealers while driving an unsafe vehicle, or just buy the right parts, have them installed, and be done with it. Hopefully with a reimbursement.
I appreciate your advice, but the idea of dumping thousands into a car that doesn't even have 20k on the clock just to get it to function properly is out of the question for me. If those are really the only options, then I'm ditching the Jeep and buying something else. At least it has some decent trade-in value..

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

any ideas on what I should do next?
Contact @JeepCares and open a case. They are a forum member so send them a PM. When doing so, ask them for another dealership in your area so that they can setup an appointment for you to bring your vehicle back in.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
I appreciate your advice, but the idea of dumping thousands into a car that doesn't even have 20k on the clock just to get it to function properly is out of the question for me. If those are really the only options, then I'm ditching the Jeep and buying something else. At least it has some decent trade-in value..
Your steering components have premature wear. The dealership will never replace them all they will just bandaid it with additional dampers until you go away. I am summarizing 3 years of collective knowledge for you right now. It’s should be about 1500 to swap the components and you can then ask jeep to reimburse you like I did.It’s that or sell it. 100%.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
This reads like two attorneys looking for clients to file a class action. So lame.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I know what you're thinking. Yet another steering wobble thread. I normally wouldn't make a new one of these, but my bizarre experience with the dealership prompted me to do so. Maybe someone will have some advice on how to proceed. The vehicle is a 2018 JL Sport that I purchased at the dealership along with a $2000 extended warranty (yes, I now realize this was a bad idea). All service has been done by the dealership at the appropriate intervals. The car has no modifications and has not been worked on by anyone else.

The wobble issue
My Jeep started to develop the wobbling issue at around 18,000 miles. Basically, if you hit a bump over 55 mph, there is a chance that the wheel starts shaking violently and does not stop until you slow down to around 25-30 mph. I made an appointment with the dealership to have it resolved.

A day after I dropped the car off, the dealership called and said that the steering damper was faulty and needed to be replaced. This was odd because I had already had the steering damper replaced once after the recall notice was issued. This particular damper has maybe 8,000 miles on it.

The next day, they called and said the Jeep was ready. They said that they didn't have any dampers in stock, but that they "reinstalled and reactuated" the current one and that the issue was fixed. This was the first red flag. They admitted on one day that the part was bad, but claimed the next day to have "fixed" the faulty part instead of replacing it. I asked if I could just wait until new ones arrived, and the person stated that they had no idea when new dampers would arrive. I didn't want to leave my car there indefinitely, so I decided to pick it up anyway.

I went to pick up the Jeep and asked to speak to a manager before leaving. The manager explained that the only thing they would do about the wobble at this stage was to replace the steering damper. I asked why they would have people bring their vehicle all the way out there (I live far away) if they knew that they didn't have the parts in stock. He didn't have an answer. I then asked him why they kept replacing the steering damper when that is obviously not the issue (there is no way the car needs three steering dampers inside 20,000 miles). He stated that the wobble was a known issue, but that Jeep/FCA/whatever hasn't identified what the cause is and that the only thing they can do for now is to keep putting dampers in the vehicles. He then told me an anecdote that the dealership had an engineer from Jeep come out and ride with a customer to experience the issue and that the engineer said that the issue was totally normal and that the symptom is just a consequence of the car being an off-road vehicle. I don't want to sound melodramatic, but this is probably the biggest lie I have ever heard come from a dealership employee. There is absolutely no way that a Jeep engineer witnessed this particular issue and decided that it was "normal." And, if they did, Jeep should be ashamed of themselves for selling the cars in the first place. I cannot express how absolutely undriveable the car is with this wobble issue.

I then asked if they would pay for an aftermarket damper (I saw that some other people on these forums had some luck with that). He said they absolutely won't do that and that I would have to go through Jeep/FCA/whoever owns this company now. I decided to leave. Needless to say, the Jeep wobbled on the way home. Big surprise.

The transmission issue
Around the same time that the death wobble started, the car started to do something very strange at highway speeds. Basically, if you cruise at 45-50 mph, every now and then, the transmission (8-speed auto) seems to hesitate or cut off for a second every 30 seconds or so. To be abundantly clear, the car very obviously seems to hesitate every 30 seconds or so, almost as if fuel was being briefly cut off from the engine. I suppose another way to describe it would be to say that it feels like the transmission is "slipping" for a very split second. The problem persists until you turn the car off. The issue does not cause a light to come on. I decided to put the transmission into "manual" mode and try to isolate the issue. I found that it only does it in 7th gear at 45-50 mph when the engine is warmed up. It only does it about 1 in 5 times that you drive it.

I brought this up to the dealership in the same visit as above. The representative told me they won't take steps to fix it for now because it didn't throw a code but that she would ask the tech about it. When I picked the Jeep up, I was told that the tech stated that the car naturally will struggle at that speed in that gear and that the issue was completely normal. Again, this is just absolutely insane. I never stated that the Jeep was bogging down or struggling. And, in any case, the car started to behave this way while it was in automatic mode, which means the car had organically shifted into seventh gear and decided to stay there even though the car was lurching. To be told that this, along with the wobble, are completely normal is just absolutely crazy.

Now I am stuck with a car that I paid a lot of money for that doesn't even have 20,000 miles on it that I don't even want to drive. The dealership was completely useless and I can't in good conscience sell the car to someone else and push the problem off on them. To be totally honest, I really regret purchasing this car. I am quite busy in life at the moment and was excited to own a new car for the first time in my life because I wouldn't have to worry about any issues whatsoever for the entire length of the warranty. And yet, here we are. The Jeep is no longer fun to drive and the dealership that I bought it from is useless.

If you're thinking about buying a JL, don't. If you already own one, any ideas on what I should do next?
If you have the 2018 you need to ask another dealer (not this one) to perform the track bar Star Case and replace your current track bar with one that has an updated bushing. This was the fix for my death wobble problems. Never came back after that.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...o-help-cure-steering-issues-68394087aa.25299/

Steering stabilizer is not the real fix.

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I would recommend checking the lemon law in your state. I was able to have a manufacturer buy back a vehicle for multiple front brake replacements (calipers and rotors) and engine issues that resulted in two head gasket replacements. They also gave me a nice check to cover car replacement, but the $ went into the Jeep instead.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I know what you're thinking. Yet another steering wobble thread. I normally wouldn't make a new one of these, but my bizarre experience with the dealership prompted me to do so. Maybe someone will have some advice on how to proceed. The vehicle is a 2018 JL Sport that I purchased at the dealership along with a $2000 extended warranty (yes, I now realize this was a bad idea). All service has been done by the dealership at the appropriate intervals. The car has no modifications and has not been worked on by anyone else.

The wobble issue

A day after I dropped the car off, the dealership called and said that the steering damper was faulty and needed to be replaced. This was odd because I had already had the steering damper replaced once after the recall notice was issued. This particular damper has maybe 8,000 miles on it.

The next day, they called and said the Jeep was ready. They said that they didn't have any dampers in stock, but that they "reinstalled and reactuated" the current one and that the issue was fixed. This was the first red flag. They admitted on one day that the part was bad, but claimed the next day to have "fixed" the faulty part instead of replacing it. I asked if I could just wait until new ones arrived, and the person stated that they had no idea when new dampers would arrive. I didn't want to leave my car there indefinitely, so I decided to pick it up anyway.

I went to pick up the Jeep and asked to speak to a manager before leaving. The manager explained that the only thing they would do about the wobble at this stage was to replace the steering damper. I asked why they would have people bring their vehicle all the way out there (I live far away) if they knew that they didn't have the parts in stock. He didn't have an answer. I then asked him why they kept replacing the steering damper when that is obviously not the issue (there is no way the car needs three steering dampers inside 20,000 miles). He stated that the wobble was a known issue, but that Jeep/FCA/whatever hasn't identified what the cause is and that the only thing they can do for now is to keep putting dampers in the vehicles. He then told me an anecdote that the dealership had an engineer from Jeep come out and ride with a customer to experience the issue and that the engineer said that the issue was totally normal and that the symptom is just a consequence of the car being an off-road vehicle. I don't want to sound melodramatic, but this is probably the biggest lie I have ever heard come from a dealership employee. There is absolutely no way that a Jeep engineer witnessed this particular issue and decided that it was "normal." And, if they did, Jeep should be ashamed of themselves for selling the cars in the first place. I cannot express how absolutely undriveable the car is with this wobble issue.

I then asked if they would pay for an aftermarket damper (I saw that some other people on these forums had some luck with that). He said they absolutely won't do that and that I would have to go through Jeep/FCA/whoever owns this company now. I decided to leave. Needless to say, the Jeep wobbled on the way home. Big surprise.

The transmission issue
Around the same time that the death wobble started, the car started to do something very strange at highway speeds. Basically, if you cruise at 45-50 mph, every now and then, the transmission (8-speed auto) seems to hesitate or cut off for a second every 30 seconds or so. To be abundantly clear, the car very obviously seems to hesitate every 30 seconds or so, almost as if fuel was being briefly cut off from the engine. I suppose another way to describe it would be to say that it feels like the transmission is "slipping" for a very split second. The problem persists until you turn the car off. The issue does not cause a light to come on. I decided to put the transmission into "manual" mode and try to isolate the issue. I found that it only does it in 7th gear at 45-50 mph when the engine is warmed up. It only does it about 1 in 5 times that you drive it.

I brought this up to the dealership in the same visit as above. The representative told me they won't take steps to fix it for now because it didn't throw a code but that she would ask the tech about it. When I picked the Jeep up, I was told that the tech stated that the car naturally will struggle at that speed in that gear and that the issue was completely normal. Again, this is just absolutely insane. I never stated that the Jeep was bogging down or struggling. And, in any case, the car started to behave this way while it was in automatic mode, which means the car had organically shifted into seventh gear and decided to stay there even though the car was lurching. To be told that this, along with the wobble, are completely normal is just absolutely crazy.

Now I am stuck with a car that I paid a lot of money for that doesn't even have 20,000 miles on it that I don't even want to drive. The dealership was completely useless and I can't in good conscience sell the car to someone else and push the problem off on them. To be totally honest, I really regret purchasing this car. I am quite busy in life at the moment and was excited to own a new car for the first time in my life because I wouldn't have to worry about any issues whatsoever for the entire length of the warranty. And yet, here we are. The Jeep is no longer fun to drive and the dealership that I bought it from is useless.

If you're thinking about buying a JL, don't. If you already own one, any ideas on what I should do next?
Contact @JeepCares and open a case. They are a forum member so send them a PM. When doing so, ask them for another dealership in your area so that they can setup an appointment for you to bring your vehicle back in.
Thanks for tagging us here, jludave.

We would be happy to dig into your concerns further, stingray56. Can you send us a private message that includes your most recent appointment date? Thanks!

Kate
Jeep Cares

OP
OP

stingray56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This reads like two attorneys looking for clients to file a class action. So lame.
I have no idea what you are trying to say but this is a weird reply.

If you have the 2018 you need to ask another dealer (not this one) to perform the track bar Star Case and replace your current track bar with one that has an updated bushing. This was the fix for my death wobble problems. Never came back after that.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...o-help-cure-steering-issues-68394087aa.25299/

Steering stabilizer is not the real fix.
Great, thank you. I will definitely give this a shot.

Thanks for tagging us here, jludave.

We would be happy to dig into your concerns further, stingray56. Can you send us a private message that includes your most recent appointment date? Thanks!

Kate
Jeep Cares
PM sent.

Hagie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Sting Grey, 2006 Scion xB RS4.0, 2013 Scion xB RS9.0
Not to necro this but I literally had the same transmission problem at quicker intervals this past weekend. 2018 2.0L Turbo Automatic.

OP
OP

stingray56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi all,

I eventually got this figured out. Just wanted to say that the original dealer that butchered this was Koons Chrysler Dodge Jeep in Tysons Corner, Virginia. Just a heads up in case anyone was considering buying from them. Stay far away from those idiots.