Sponsored

Bittersweet Day: Traded in my JLU for a Ford..

OP
OP

JeepfromBMW

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S Billet Silver
Some guys run their house, others run around it.

I guess I’m an asshole too.
Ha. I run my house. Decision was ultimately mine. I’ve also owned 20 vehicles in the last 20yrs. Owning a Jeep for 6 months was a little shorter than usual, but I tend to switch things up very often.
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Good luck with the new Ford Explorers. I've driven one for work, for the past 8 or so years. This year model, 2021, has been plagued with issues that could make our Wranglers look like they are issue free. A Toyota Highlander is more reliable, more comfortable, and roomier than the Explorer.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Ha. I run my house. Decision was ultimately mine. I’ve also owned 20 vehicles in the last 20yrs. Owning a Jeep for 6 months was a little shorter than usual, but I tend to switch things up very often.
I like switching things up, too, but dang lol

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
I debated that, but I would like a manual transmission if just a weekend fun car for me to take out when I want to clear my head. The Jeep was an auto (so my wife could drive it as well). I can definitely see myself picking up another at some point just before a Jeep in 6spd goes extinct!
So you just didn’t want a jeep then. That’s how I look at it. Keep has a manual. Not a bad thing wanting a Porsche.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Michael, Good luck on the Explorer. Just make sure you unload it after the warranty is up. They are big money pits. That model rates right along European counterparts in terms of reliability.

Sponsored

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
Don't feel bad brother. If it's not the right fit - it's not the right fit. A strange component of automotive hobbies is the larger-than-normal brand identity thing. At the end of the day it's just a vehicle. You can always buy another one if you want. I'm jeepless for awhile, too, and probably will end up with another TJ again at some point.

OP
OP

JeepfromBMW

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Michael, Good luck on the Explorer. Just make sure you unload it after the warranty is up. They are big money pits. That model rates right along European counterparts in terms of reliability.
Ha! I’m getting the front seat replaced under warranty already. The bolster has a couple extra wrinkles in it where as the other side is nice and tight. They said it looks like the stitching isn’t quite right and ordered me a new seat :)

OP
OP

JeepfromBMW

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you just didn’t want a jeep then. That’s how I look at it. Keep has a manual. Not a bad thing wanting a Porsche.
Good point. And yes, I would rather have the Porsche than a Jeep if it’s just going to be a fair weather weekend car for me. I would love to have both though!

Sponsored

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My wife drives a 3rd row Explorer and I can tell you from personal experience the 3rd row is absolutely useless for any kid in a car seat/ booster seat (so ages 0-9) and any adult (15+). We’re planning to trade in the Explorer when we get back home after the holidays and getting a true 3rd row SUV.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
My wife drives a 3rd row Explorer and I can tell you from personal experience the 3rd row is absolutely useless for any kid in a car seat/ booster seat (so ages 0-9) and any adult (15+).

We’re planning to trade in the Explorer when we get back home after the holidays and getting a true 3rd row SUV.
I had wondered about that; possibly Ford threw in a 3rd row simply to gain the ability to advertise that feature? The Explorer's dimensions really haven't grown since the vehicle's introduction (I remember; I was there.) It's instructive to consider that for many years, it didn't have a third row because the platform couldn't reasonably accommodate one.

Tangentially, the same is true for the 3-row Honda Pilot, but the OEMs seemingly prefer to look the other way in that matter. Unless the passengers in the very back of the vehicle are petite amputees, what's the point?

My parent's Suburban has 3-row seating. An SUV of that dimension is required to make it practical to any degree, in my view. It's a "true 3rd row" vehicle, exactly as you allude to.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Glad. Mojave, 16 JKU Sahara, 20 Supra
Well good. I like that Ford went back to a RWD platform for them. They sort of fly under the radar but I see the appeal. I’d buy a white one so that everybody would worry I was a cop. 👮‍♂️ 🚨
Ditto regarding the RWD aspect to the Explorer. I wish more manufacturers would go back to this layout for the driving dynamics.
Sponsored