Birds destroying my jeep

OP
OP

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
The fact that they are perching on your mirror and shitting all over it confirms my theory. This is a sign that the bird is flipping out because it its seeing a reflection and reacting aggressively. I had this problem for years with an older car.

I tried the the owl , plastic bags on mirrors and huge tarp over hood and roof then they started landing on step bars and pecking away at thet door panels. It took me 3 hrs to clean out the old ladies hoard in our tiny garage and backed her in and and a old baby gate hit and scraped my side bumper by just a hair . The whole entire jeep has those paint rashes all over.

IMG_20200421_105537.jpg

View attachment 310012
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I tried the the owl , plastic bags on mirrors and huge tarp over hood and roof then they started landing on step bars and pecking away at thet door panels. It took me 3 hrs to clean out the old ladies hoard in our tiny garage and backed her in and and a old baby gate hit and scraped my side bumper by just a hair . The whole entire jeep has those paint rashes all over.

IMG_20200421_105537.jpg

View attachment 310012
Have you tried getting a cat?

IMG_20200218_134939944_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 Dodge Ram Bighorn, 1990 Totoya 4x4 Mod
I've had this happen myself with my truck. Plastic bags helped but did not solve the problem. I only had 1 bird doing it. He flew into a tree where he was met with 12ga #8's.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
I have had this happen, but not to my Jeep. I have a lot of windows in my house and live in a semi-wooded area, but birds would continually peck the windows. I'll bet there is a nest nearby your parking spot so the bird feels threatened by its reflection. Maybe you can remove the nest.

Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Do you have Ocean Blue by any chance? I don't know how true it is but I've heard Blue vehicles get crapped on more because they think it's water.

it's true , Berkeley University recently spend 20 million $ on so called "Blue Study" and this audubon research proved that if seagulls could vote they would exclusively vote blue , blue offers way more waste to munch on and the seagulls love doing that

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The bird is probably seeing its reflection in the glass and freaking out thinking its another bird on its turf and trying to attack it. You must be parking near its nest. I had this happen a couple times when I used to street park near a tree.
I'll guarantee you thats whats happening. I have seen birds peck the heck out of their image in a side view mirror. Don't worry, It will all stop after they destroy your finish.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
It is a reflection situation for sure. We had it happen with a Robin this time of year a few years back. Birds can be very territorial, and the robin would see its reflection on the side window by our front door and attack it aggressively. And yes, crap all over the place. Happened for a few weeks, luckily, hasn’t been repeated.

Hero0

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlu rubicon
I’m in the same boat as you. These little shits are scratching the top of my windshield paint all up. I have a camera and you can just see it attacking my Jeep. Fake owl is on order but they are relentless.

Sponsored

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Wait are these Kea birds? I think I know what’s going on

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
I am sure there is also a seasonal effect here. Mating/fighting season for male birds. I see this a ton with motorcycles around here. They'll just sit on the handlebar and beat the crap out of the mirror.

As far as a plan to stop this- birds typically will stop attacking their own reflection and sitting and crapping on your mirror if you shoot and kill them with a pellet gun.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
This is unbelievable. You can see where all paint is scraped

IMG_20200420_113244.jpg

IMG_20200420_113244~01.jpg
A few years ago we had a robin attacking it's reflection in the door mirrors. We tied Walmart bags over the mirrors for a few days and it went away.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Killing them is not the answer. Amazon has all kinds of ribbons, small balloons, pinwheels and fake predators. Plus you’re gonna shoot them while they’re on your car? Yea that’ll keep the paint nice.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Wait are these Kea birds? I think I know what’s going on

Interesting video Grak, I was fascinated how brave those little suckers were. Where I live you can’t get within 6 feet of a wild bird.
Sponsored