Bilstien Shocks?

Shellbird01

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Shara Unlimited
I’ve ran Terraflex flacons, they were way too stiff so I swapped for fox. Much nicer.

I’m working on another Jeep that will only be an on road, beach cruiser. I’m wondering if Blistiens would cut it. The foxes are nice but 100-130$ more up here. I’ve also heard the Bilstiens might rust easier which isn’t good in the snow belt.

All opinions appreciated
Sponsored

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I throw wax on the Bilsteins and also the Apex Autolynx, hopefully several times per year. We'll see how long they last before corrosion sets in.

And the Bilsteins are fairly stiff.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
I’ve also heard the Bilstiens might rust easier which isn’t good in the snow belt.
For whatever this is worth to you, I’ve had Bilstein 8100s on my 21 JLU since late 2021 and they have yet to show any signs of rust. Three NY winters with plenty of salty roads. On top of that, I live spitting distance from Long Island Sound and my Jeeps aren’t garaged.

I’ve also run the Falcons (definitely stiffer) and currently have Fox 2.0s on my 24 JLU. I wouldn’t steer anyone away from any of these three manufacturers.

Sponsored

gdeyarmond

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Tacoma 4x4 (6mt), 24 JLU Willys (6mt)
I’ve ran Terraflex flacons, they were way too stiff so I swapped for fox. Much nicer.

I’m working on another Jeep that will only be an on road, beach cruiser. I’m wondering if Blistiens would cut it. The foxes are nice but 100-130$ more up here. I’ve also heard the Bilstiens might rust easier which isn’t good in the snow belt.

All opinions appreciated
Bilsteins are valved digressively whereas the Foxes are linear valving. I run Bilsteins because I have no sway bar (on the Tacoma pictured) so I need the street handling. Also, I don't want to mess around with rebuilding shocks on a schedule (15-30k) like Fox and other close-to-race series shocks require. I just want to run the Bilstein until it blows and replace it at 60-100k miles.

I run a 6112/5160 combo (5160s are available for Wranglers) on the Tacoma and they do great through the big stuff offroad but do not soak up chatter and small stuff, so I always air down.

Shocksurplus does a good comparison of both company's entry-level 2.0s (see below).

Bilstein 5100 vs Fox 2.0 IFP Performance Shocks (shocksurplus.com)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shellbird01

Shellbird01

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bilsteins have digressive valving, stiffer in the initial stroke (less body roll and brake dive on road) and then softer as they progress into the travel.
As stiff as falcons? If so I’d have to pass.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I went with Rancho's 9000XL adjustable and they are great shocks for the money.

gdeyarmond

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

All opinions appreciated
I'll chime back in. The Falcon's and Bilsteins are going to always feel stiff for your use case with their valving. If you want a caddy like ride you need to get Foxes or Kings and have them valved accordingly. Another option is going with a twin tube shock like a Rancho or Terraflex (less expensive than any of the previously mentioned shocks) and enjoy the compliant ride....just my 2 cents.

Sponsored

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
Bilsteins are valved digressively whereas the Foxes are linear valving. I run Bilsteins because I have no sway bar (on the Tacoma pictured) so I need the street handling. Also, I don't want to mess around with rebuilding shocks on a schedule (15-30k) like Fox and other close-to-race series shocks require. I just want to run the Bilstein until it blows and replace it at 60-100k miles.

I run a 6112/5160 combo (5160s are available for Wranglers) on the Tacoma and they do great through the big stuff offroad but do not soak up chatter and small stuff, so I always air down.

Shocksurplus does a good comparison of both company's entry-level 2.0s (see below).

Bilstein 5100 vs Fox 2.0 IFP Performance Shocks (shocksurplus.com)
I run 6112/5160 combo with 315/70r17 falken wildpeak E load rated tires on my 08 f150, and I think the whole setup is fantastic. I don't mind the initial bump stiffness of the bilsteins, they handle great, great over bump and whoops in the road. great offroad, great trailering. Drove 300 miles straight this last Sunday with my 77 yr old father in the truck to go pick up a couple cb650 engines for his new vintage racecar and he thought the truck was super comfortable and rode great.

I'm definitely considering the 8100s for the jeep. I've had many vehicles with bilstiens for over 20 years and they've all been great in many different applications.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Ranchos or Bilstein 4600 (the blue and yellow ones) if you want a decent shock with a good ride, and want to stay on budget. They only make the 4600 for stock suspensions though.

gdeyarmond

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I run 6112/5160 combo with 315/70r17 falken wildpeak E load rated tires on my 08 f150, and I think the whole setup is fantastic. I don't mind the initial bump stiffness of the bilsteins, they handle great, great over bump and whoops in the road. great offroad, great trailering. Drove 300 miles straight this last Sunday with my 77 yr old father in the truck to go pick up a couple cb650 engines for his new vintage racecar and he thought the truck was super comfortable and rode great.

I'm definitely considering the 8100s for the jeep. I've had many vehicles with bilstiens for over 20 years and they've all been great in many different applications.
I agree. I don't mind the chatter on small stuff, because I can just bomb through the big stuff. Every vehicle going forward will have Bilsteins when the time comes. I have had King's previously and they were too much work for me at this point in life.....

THAW

First Name
Foster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JL4DrRubicon
As stiff as falcons? If so I’d have to pass.
I don't have any experience with the Falcons, but others' comments appear to me to be good advice. In any case, I've been happy with my AEV 5100s.

I have had 6112/5160s on my 4Runner for years, and really like them. And I agree, always airing down off-road is the way to smooth the high frequency corrugations.

OP
OP
Shellbird01

Shellbird01

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Didn’t know fox needed overhauled…. I’ll figure it out. What’s the benefit of bilstien 5100 vs yellow and blue? Currently running no lift, if I do max would be 2”
Sponsored