OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Fun challenging wheelin day at Big Fork near Chattanooga with 2 gladiators...had a thunderstorm pass through making things slick. Both gladiators have an automatic transmission and their long wheel base was helpful on these tougher climbs.

Jeep Wrangler JL Billet Sport S- Rubi Axle/T-Case Swap pX7joyf
Jeep Wrangler JL Billet Sport S- Rubi Axle/T-Case Swap IqJKi7Z

Jeep Wrangler JL Billet Sport S- Rubi Axle/T-Case Swap WLp5lql
Jeep Wrangler JL Billet Sport S- Rubi Axle/T-Case Swap ELjBG5v
Jeep Wrangler JL Billet Sport S- Rubi Axle/T-Case Swap Hacl7yb
Jeep Wrangler JL Billet Sport S- Rubi Axle/T-Case Swap 0mBDqte

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Looks great!
What tire pressure you running when climbing?
Thanks...I typically run 12-13psi bc I dont have beadlocks. I have only popped 1 bead bc I slid into an awkward bank with a rock that pushed pretty hard on the sidewall....was leaking, but driveable and made it to a tire shop the next day before it was completely flat. The 2 times I wheeled with beadlocks, I ran 7-8psi...seemed to work well.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Visible15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Put on front liners...they fit nicely. The rear liners arrived and I'll be painting them tomorrow. Almost done for a bit and ready to hit the trails. Chopping the fenders has been a good bit of work when factoring the ancillary things that can go with it if you want a little more finished look.
Jeep Wrangler JL Billet Sport S- Rubi Axle/T-Case Swap lqNo1cZ

Jeep Wrangler JL Billet Sport S- Rubi Axle/T-Case Swap lqNo1cZ
Which Front inner fender liners did you go with? Yoursme, Opall ?

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
First Name
Francisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jl sport
Hey...I've got quite a bit invested in this jeep...too many parts to itemize. The rubi axles can be found on here for around $4k.(mine came with brakes) Probably 8 hrs labor swapping them depending on the shop. Also factor in cost of wiring the lockers and switches. I used OEM auxiliary switches that were about $250 + Dana Spicer wire kit that was around $80 and paid jeep $250 to hook the switches up via the ignition wiring also bc they offered to cover under warranty if they did it. So around $4300 for parts and then another $1,200 ish in labor($5500 all in). You could get cheaper switches...I wanted a clean oem look.
What wire harness did you buy for the lockers I got the axles and the stock wire harness but it has 4 wires

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Last edited:

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Did you buy the axles new(crate rubicon axles) or got them from some swapping their rubicon axles out?

Sponsored

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Did you buy the axles new(crate rubicon axles) or got them from some swapping their rubicon axles out?
They were takeoff axles from a 2018 rubicon jlu owned by America's Most Wanted 4x4. They were on their SEMA build jeep for 6 months and had 4k miles on them before they swapped to d60s and dropped in a hemi.

Last edited:

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
They were takeoff axles from a 2018 rubicon jlu owned by America's Most Wanted 4x4. They were on their SEMA build jeep for 6 months and had 4k miles on them before they swapped to d60s and dropped in a hemi.
I want to do an axle swap but was thinking about waiting till the Jeep was paid off so I had a bit more that I could throw at it. I was thinking dynatrac but if the rubicon axles can handle 37”s pretty well then I was telling myself why spend so much when I could either buy them used or or new and would be cheaper. Have you thought about trussing and stronger axle shafts? I went through some of this thread and seems like you’ve done quite a bit.

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I want to do an axle swap but was thinking about waiting till the Jeep was paid off so I had a bit more that I could throw at it. I was thinking dynatrac but if the rubicon axles can handle 37”s pretty well then I was telling myself why spend so much when I could either buy them used or or new and would be cheaper. Have you thought about trussing and stronger axle shafts? I went through some of this thread and seems like you’ve done quite a bit.
Tons of folks wheelin 37s with stock rubi d44 axles without issues. I've wheeled with several people trying tough obstacles on these axles...I have confidence in them on 37s being somewhat responsible with the skinny pedal. I dont see people bending these axle housings and have read negative things about trusses warping axles....not worth the $ IMHO. I'll simply replace an axle shaft with chromoly if a stock one breaks...not a big deal.

Personally, I would run ultimate d44s if wheelin more than a few times a year on 38s or 39s. Everybody seems to agree that d60s are needed wheelin 40s.

Last edited:

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Tons of folks wheelin 37s with stock rubi d44 axles without issues. I've wheeled with several people trying tough obstacles on the stock axles...I have confidence in them on 37s being somewhat responsible with the skinny pedal. I've read too many negative things about trusses warping axles....not worth the $ IMHO. I'll simply replace an axle shaft with chromoly if a stock one breaks...not a big deal.

I would run ultimate d44s or d60s if you're gonna wheel 38s or bigger.
Ya someone was just telling me to plan for 40” tires, which means d60’s. I know that regearing will help but I don’t wanna stress the engine too much. Have plans for a hemi swap?

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
My $0.15 worth.
The Stock Rubicon D44 has some weakness issues due to the FAD.
My D44 has the Artec truss system that was put on by a very good shop (Stacked Off Road).
Like anything else, if the welding is done properly (e.g., right weld settings, take you time, don't weld too much at any one time, etc.), the issues with installing trusses can be avoided.
Of course one can break any axle (e.g., D44, UD44, D60) by going crazy and doing stupid stuff.

ChattVol's rig is amazing and he drives this rig off road very well.
Sponsored