OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Hey! can you tell me how you made your front sport brake lines work on your rubi axles?
2 of my mechanical friends did the swap. I remember they had to grind a bit on the driver side brake fitting to get it to line up. @TTEChris Any chance you can explain further?
Sponsored

Ryanfold

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, 2019 JL
Vehicle Showcase
2 of my mechanical friends did the swap. I remember they had to grind a bit on the driver side brake fitting to get it to line up. @TTEChris Any chance you can explain further?
Thanks for the quick reply! It looked like from one of the pictures that you posted part of the hard line part of the hose got bent to make it work also.

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I just finished reading this thread from start to finish and I want to say I've enjoyed following your build. A few weeks back I bought a used 2018 JLU Sport S because that's what fit my budget. Wanted to make a Rubicon work and have been for a couple years but something always came up, so I pulled the trigger on the Sport S. Your thread has given me some direction on where to go with my build. As I started reading through the forums it became quite apparent I'll need to dump more money than anticipated to get my jeep where I want it. It looks like picking up a set of JLUR take off axles will be one of my top priorities.

I am curious and I apologize if you already covered this and I read past it but when you added the Rubicon axles with lockers and quick disconnects, were you able to use the stock controls that come on the Rubicons that go on the dash? Or how did you handle that?

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I just finished reading this thread from start to finish and I want to say I've enjoyed following your build. A few weeks back I bought a used 2018 JLU Sport S because that's what fit my budget. Wanted to make a Rubicon work and have been for a couple years but something always came up, so I pulled the trigger on the Sport S. Your thread has given me some direction on where to go with my build. As I started reading through the forums it became quite apparent I'll need to dump more money than anticipated to get my jeep where I want it. It looks like picking up a set of JLUR take off axles will be one of my top priorities.

I am curious and I apologize if you already covered this and I read past it but when you added the Rubicon axles with lockers and quick disconnects, were you able to use the stock controls that come on the Rubicons that go on the dash? Or how did you handle that?
Hey...Thsnks for the kind words. I had our jeep dealer wire a OEM Aux switch bank(4 switches total) and 2 dana locker wiring harnesses bc they offered to install and warranty it for $250. They wired the front locker to aux switch #3 and the rear locker to aux switch #4. I like them wired this way bc they can be used in 2wd or 4wd at any speed. The RK front swaybar quick disconnects take about 2 minutes to disconnect/connect if on flat ground...I do it manually and not electronically like the rubicon. I prefer them bc you can be disconnected at any speed, whereas the electronic rubi disconnect automatically reconnects at 25mph. Hope this helps.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Found a great deal on (5) Method nonbeadlock wheels 17x8.5 with 4.6 backspacing. They weighed 26.5 lbs and look decent. I like the stance and saving 20lbs per wheel...jeep feels less sluggish. Realistically, I'm not going to wheel hard enough to justify beadlocks.
2MTkVX5.jpg
UM5Tu7P.jpg

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Found a great deal on (5) Method nonbeadlock wheels 17x8.5 with 4.6 backspacing. They weighed 26.5 lbs and look decent. I like the stance and saving 20lbs per wheel...jeep feels less sluggish. Realistically, I'm not going to wheel hard enough to justify beadlocks.
2MTkVX5.jpg
UM5Tu7P.jpg
Beadlocks are badass, but there is a price.

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Beadlocks are badass, but there is a price.
Yeah...still wrestling with this change. Because I got the Methods for a great deal, selling the heavy beadlocks before they get scratched up allows me to recoup over a grand, reduce rotational mass by 80lbs and lighten spare tire by 20lbs.

Realistically, I'm not going to be wheelin a pricey jeep hard enough where dropping below 10-12psi is a gamechanger. With the nonbeadlocks, the jeep drives less sluggish, improves scrub radius and should extend life of ball joints/brakes/bearings/tailgate. I also wasn't crazy about the stance with 3.5 backspacing pushing 37Ă—12.50 tires 4"+ outside the fenders. IMHO, that ultra wide stance looks better with 40s...I don't want to go bigger than 37s on stock d44s. Going to swap in black bolts on the fake beadlock ring to make them look a little more unique.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yeah...still wrestling with this one. I know that I downgraded the look and hopefully wont regret it. I may paint them black or change to black bolts on fake beadlock ring.
I wouldn't sweat it.

I wouldn't take it as a downgrade if it drives less sluggish and the wheels aren't sticking out more than you like. I keep thinking I want to switch to the Mopar Gear wheels with their 12mm offset vs the 0mm offset on my Methods. I prefer them to be a bit more tucked myself, and I'd like the brighter look. Bronze is cool, but just doesn't sit right. Too dark?

It's all fun though. Enjoy the trip. :beer:

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I wouldn't sweat it.

I wouldn't take it as a downgrade if it drives less sluggish and the wheels aren't sticking out more than you like. I keep thinking I want to switch to the Mopar Gear wheels with their 12mm offset vs the 0mm offset on my Methods. I prefer them to be a bit more tucked myself, and I'd like the brighter look. Bronze is cool, but just doesn't sit right. Too dark?

It's all fun though. Enjoy the trip. :beer:
Agreed.. I think the stance with 4.5 to 4.75 backspacing on 35s and 37s looks stable and symmetrical. If you ever plan to go with 37s, you'll want your Methods to keep tires from rubbing. I like your bronze wheels!

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Agreed.. I think the stance with 4.5 to 4.75 backspacing on 35s and 37s looks stable and symmetrical. If you ever plan to go with 37s, you'll want your Methods to keep tires from rubbing. I like your bronze wheels!
They are the smarter choice given their tech and much higher rating, but I do like the 5 spoke design.

37's will wait. I'm not pushing that until I've gotten more trips in with what I've got. Spring can't come soon enough. :beer:

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
They are the smarter choice given their tech and much higher rating, but I do like the 5 spoke design.

37's will wait. I'm not pushing that until I've gotten more trips in with what I've got. Spring can't come soon enough. :beer:
Nice...I ordered Method black flush mount center caps. Going to get black ring bolts. Goin for this look:
zHxlhel.jpg