Sponsored

Bike racks for JL (non-hitch, so spare tire or roof only pls)

jeeprookie

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe
Hi everyone. I’ve just picked up a JL 4xe and would like to find a good bike rack solution (2 bikes is fine). My Jeep does not have a hitch, so I’d ideally find a good spare wheel rack, otherwise it’ll have to be a roof rack. I know there were good spare options for the JKs, but those won’t work for JLs given the rear camera. Rhino makes a spare wheel bike carrier that looks like it could work, but reviews on Amazon suggest otherwise. Many thanks for any helpful advice or suggestions!
Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Two factors that I took into account ... the spare tire and the backup camera. The clearance needed for the spare tire eliminates many hitch mounted ones unfortunately. Had a lot of options for my wife’s Mazda CX-5.

What I found out doing a lot of research:
- the spare tire mounted ones, like the Quadratec one, are ideal for lighter bikes only or a maximum of one adult bike. They also are not as simple of an install as they make it seem. I sold mine after putting it on a few times.
- watching my buddy lift his mountain bike onto his 4 door roof at the end of a long ride discouraged me from going that way.
- Saw another Wrangler using the Quadratec hitch mounted one for two bikes. While not quite as well built as the Thule or Yakima, it was a lot cheaper and will do fine for 2, maybe 3 bikes. I have one on order (4-bike)
- anything mounted in the back will block some of your rear camera view, but you can still see vehicles behind you.
- hope you can find one in stock locally ... been waiting 2 months.

hope his helps.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Still not sure why someone doesn’t have a donut hole cutout spade lug mounted solution yet. I’m not a metal fabricator, so I can’t do this or else I would have already.

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Hi everyone. I’ve just picked up a JL 4xe and would like to find a good bike rack solution (2 bikes is fine). My Jeep does not have a hitch, so I’d ideally find a good spare wheel rack, otherwise it’ll have to be a roof rack. I know there were good spare options for the JKs, but those won’t work for JLs given the rear camera. Rhino makes a spare wheel bike carrier that looks like it could work, but reviews on Amazon suggest otherwise. Many thanks for any helpful advice or suggestions!
I personally wouldn't sweat blocking the rear camera unless you intend to leave the bike carrier on the Jeep 100% of the time. If it's only on when you're hauling bikes, just live without the rearview camera for that brief period of time.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Allen has a decent one but you gotta deal with straps https://amzn.to/3hS8n07

Sponsored

OP
OP

jeeprookie

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe
Thanks! I agree — I should’ve noted in my initial post that I don’t care if the camera is blocked/obscured while travelling with bikes. Ideally a spare wheel rack would still allow the rear door and window to be opened without removing the bikes, which wouldn’t be the case with the Allen model suggested.
Any favorite spare wheel models that permit you to open the rear while the bikes are still on it?

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
I've no experience with this brand or model, but here's one that looks like it mounts over the spare tire and will allow the tailgate to be opened while installed:

https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire...mited/2018/MPG2148.html?VehicleID=20181639454

That Allen one that was linked above looks like it would work if you just popped the bumper straps off when opening the tailgate. I don't think you'd need to pull the bikes off the tire after removing those straps, since you obviously aren't moving while opening the tailgate. If it is otherwise a solid mount, it might be a good 95% option.

Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Thanks! I agree — I should’ve noted in my initial post that I don’t care if the camera is blocked/obscured while travelling with bikes. Ideally a spare wheel rack would still allow the rear door and window to be opened without removing the bikes, which wouldn’t be the case with the Allen model suggested.
Any favorite spare wheel models that permit you to open the rear while the bikes are still on it?
I just purchased this one and I love it https://amzn.to/3oq1p3U
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/found-the-perfect-4-bike-rack-for-our-jl.72320/
Found the perfect bike rack that doesn’t require hitch extension and swings down completely for our tailgate!
So glad they made one specifically for vehicles with outside spares. I’ve used Allen bike racks in the past and they’re usually on the cheaper side with very basic features but they have always worked for me. Can’t wait! https://amzn.to/3oq1p3U
1621231720292.png

My first test will be with this beast
1621231575348.png

I used to carry it on a Mustang lol
Just assembled, test fitted and I really like it. The locking feature is very nice. No more need for locking hitch pin and rotating the knob pulls this triangle wedge against your receiver so that it's really TIGHT.
IMG_5366.jpg
IMG_5367.jpg
IMG_5369.jpg
IMG_5371.jpg
IMG_5374.jpg

This is the locking wedge that pushes against the receiver tube
1621466543464.png

Then when you turn the knob it pulls the wedge down which causes it to push against the receiver tube. This is so much better than the anti rattle adapters of the past.
1621466583920.png

This is the knob you turn to loosen and tighten the wedge.
When you turn the key clockwise the knob just free spins and won't loosen the wedge.
Once you unlock it, then the knob will loosen the wedge when turned.
1621466740712.png

Also unlike previous inexpensive racks, there's no more cheap pin to pull out to fold the rack. It's just 2 spring thingies you push in and the rack will fold and to fold the arm down so you can open your trunk, you just pull up on a spring lever.

Can't wait to finally use this!
I carry a lot of bikes, so this way I won't wear out the tail gate prematurely

Last edited:

Robnfl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0 Diesel - Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired USN
OP
OP

jeeprookie

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe
Wanted to follow up here quickly for anyone who also goes down this spare tire bike rack journey for a JL. I ordered both the Rhino rack and the cheaper Allen rack. Unfortunately the Rhino rack doesn’t fit, and I say “unfortunately” because it’s really solid and we’ll constructed. The Allen rack seems a bit flimsy and is the cheapest at $80, but it does the job fine — and you can open/close the tailgate with bikes on no problem. So I sent back the Rhino rack and got a refund.
It’s a shame that there’s no solid solution for the spare tire on a JL — tow hook racks are probably the best, but I don’t have a tow hook. But at $80 this Allen rack is a bargain and works fine.

https://amzn.to/3hS8n07

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
I have the spare tire rack from quadratech. I've only had it for a week or so but so far so good. I've left it mounted since it doesn't block the rear camera and the extension arm folds down
Sponsored