BIKE RACK recommendation for Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 4DR 2021

Locorico

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S
I have a Rad Rover e-bike (which I love). Purchased a Hollywood rack and Yakima BackSwing. Only hauling two bikes but great setup. However, with a 2nd e-bike, I'm absolutely at the tongue weight limit. Haven't taken this setup off road but I feel it would hold up well. The BackSwing is a rock-solid piece of equipment (as it should be for $300!).
Sponsored

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Cheap options are good, but it's not always just about how well it holds up itself, but how will it protects your bike too, especially if you've got a good amount of money invested in that. I suspect that's why a lot of people look for quality racks that mount based on holding the wheels, not the frame, which tend to be more expensive.
Agreed.

Our mtbs are worth a little over $5k each. I will buy the best rack that I feel will best protect our bikes.

Racks that hold the bike by the top tube only do a poor job of protecting the bike from movement when on a trail. They may be fine on the road, but that is it. And frequently they do not work well with full suspension bikes.

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
Jeep Wrangler JL BIKE RACK recommendation for Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 4DR 2021 8F0F980D-4EA8-4F62-8F8D-5565E4A2302D

4 bike rack from Quadratec. Weā€™ve found it to be pretty good. Bikes stay nice and secure and leaves us a little space between our bikes if we arenā€™t taking the kidsā€™ bikes. Folds down when empty to allow access to the back.

Not the best rack out there for certain but didnā€™t break the bank either. I understand why people who take riding more seriously than we do spend more money.

Hair Missile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Cheap options are good, but it's not always just about how well it holds up itself, but how will it protects your bike too, especially if you've got a good amount of money invested in that. I suspect that's why a lot of people look for quality racks that mount based on holding the wheels, not the frame, which tend to be more expensive.
Well said. Once I realized I was going to have a significant investment hanging off the back I went with a 1UP. Being extremely confident that the bikes are secure behind me letā€™s me relax, forget they are back there, focus and drive normally.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
A lot of people on this forum will start suggesting outrageously priced fancy ā€œoffroadā€ gear. Which is totally a fine thing to do if you want that direction

But im here to suggest the ā€œaffordableā€ option. I like this one because its cheap and does the trick. Plus, if it gets beat around its not going to be a huge deal vs. a $400+ mount.

https://www.harborfreight.com/two-bike-hitch-mount-bike-rack-63924.html

Only downside is it only fits 2 bikes.
Iā€™ll keep my eyes open for something comparable for 4 bikes.
Cheap racks can be totally terrific for many (Including me). our Bikes are not expensive ā€” aluminum frame not carbon.

That said, the thing that I donā€™t like about this one is the inability to open the tailgate with it on. swing Arms are great but they are also expensive. I think that I will go with a tire mount solution. I only have 2 bikes that I need to carry and if I can find a decent one, I think that is the way to go for me.

Sponsored

FourthJeep

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubucon
I run the Kuat NV2 and have the extension for when I need to have 4 bikes on it. I love how solid the rack is, but with the JL, you must get the swing away tire carrier. Otherwise the fold down function doesn't work because the spare tire is in the way, also your pedals will scratch the wheels. There is a drop-hitch extension they offer which works, but then puts the rack too far away. The swing-away is the way to go. It's crazy expensive when you add up all the kuat pieces, but will last forever.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Agreed.

Our mtbs are worth a little over $5k each. I will buy the best rack that I feel will best protect our bikes.

Racks that hold the bike by the top tube only do a poor job of protecting the bike from movement when on a trail. They may be fine on the road, but that is it. And frequently they do not work well with full suspension bikes.
This makes perfect sense to meā€¦.. $10k worth of bikes need a rack that will keep them pristine in all conditions. 100% agree.

that said, The wife and I have two aluminum ā€œurbanā€™ bikes that total about $900 new ā€¦.. a ā€˜cheapā€™ top bar rack will work for us if I could find one that I like.

north53overland

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR (incoming), 2013 Fiat 500T
I'm in the same boat. I suspect we will get the Rockymounts Backstage. https://rockymounts.com/backstage/

Only downsides are a) they are back-ordered & b) i'm in Canada and one local dealer wants $1300CDN for it!!! That is stupid as the MSRP is $700US, with an exchange rate of under 25% right now that put's it at $875.00CDN +shipping + duties. That is still far less than $1300CDN. I may shop around and see if I can find

NOTE: they do NOT give warranty (like most bike carrier companies) is you use a hitch extension. I don't know right now if it will fit our soon to arrive '21 JLUR without one due to the rear spare. That said, it's ironic that Rockymounts does offer an 8" extension for $75CDN. I can't' see how thay can offer their own extension yet dismiss warranty if used.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer šŸ˜‚
Jeep Wrangler JL BIKE RACK recommendation for Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 4DR 2021 8F0F980D-4EA8-4F62-8F8D-5565E4A2302D

4 bike rack from Quadratec. Weā€™ve found it to be pretty good. Bikes stay nice and secure and leaves us a little space between our bikes if we arenā€™t taking the kidsā€™ bikes. Folds down when empty to allow access to the back.

Not the best rack out there for certain but didnā€™t break the bank either. I understand why people who take riding more seriously than we do spend more money.
No hitch extension needed? Can we get a side shot? Iā€™m looking for a rack thatā€™s as close to the tire as possible without a hitch extension

OP
OP

MIchaela

First Name
Michaela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Unlimited 4DR 2021
I'm in the same boat. I suspect we will get the Rockymounts Backstage. https://rockymounts.com/backstage/

Only downsides are a) they are back-ordered & b) i'm in Canada and one local dealer wants $1300CDN for it!!! That is stupid as the MSRP is $700US, with an exchange rate of under 25% right now that put's it at $875.00CDN +shipping + duties. That is still far less than $1300CDN. I may shop around and see if I can find

NOTE: they do NOT give warranty (like most bike carrier companies) is you use a hitch extension. I don't know right now if it will fit our soon to arrive '21 JLUR without one due to the rear spare. That said, it's ironic that Rockymounts does offer an 8" extension for $75CDN. I can't' see how thay can offer their own extension yet dismiss warranty if used.
Many thanks to many who responded to my question bike rack and Jeep...I did very detailed search and for money oyu can get, assuming that very soon many of us may also use electric bikes or sometimes heavier bikes whatever the reason is, quality of work, reliability - almost no repair after many thousands miles....and able to add on..1UP is THE BEST! Truly and if you want to prevent bikes from any damage, this is the way....and it is secure, whihc is important on highways, but also trails. Money is worth of being spend rather then to have accident or damage some very expensive xK bikes. So, ordered 1UP!!! Trust me, I really spent days to look into it..Many thanks for all your comments and suggestions, this forum is awesome.

Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
No hitch extension needed? Can we get a side shot? Iā€™m looking for a rack thatā€™s as close to the tire as possible without a hitch extension
I just got the Allen 4 Bike Spare w/Locking. It was one of the few I can find that was available. It's on a Curt hitch without an extension
Jeep Wrangler JL BIKE RACK recommendation for Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 4DR 2021 20210516_171941

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Amazon Influencer šŸ˜‚
I just got the Allen 4 Bike Spare w/Locking. It was one of the few I can find that was available. It's on a Curt hitch without an extension
20210516_171941.jpg
This is the one I just ordered!!!
Found the perfect bike rack that doesnā€™t require hitch extension and swings down completely for our tailgate!
So glad they made one specifically for vehicles with outside spares. Iā€™ve used Allen bike racks in the past and theyā€™re usually on the cheaper side with very basic features but they have always worked for me. Canā€™t wait! https://amzn.to/3oq1p3U
Jeep Wrangler JL BIKE RACK recommendation for Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 4DR 2021 20210516_171941

My first test will be with this beast

I used to carry it on a Mustang lol

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
Looks like you already ordered one but to answer your question: no, no extension needed. It sticks out from the back tire by a few inches but itā€™s pretty close. Hope you enjoy the one you ordered.:like:

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
This is the one I just ordered!!!
Sticking with your Built by Amazon, lol.

The only issue I had was figuring out how to use the lock. When it's locked (key) the handle just spins, when key unlocked it's hard to turn as you are cranking the hitch locking mechanism. At first I got it backwards.

When you get it locked in place it's solid. It feels like it's part of the jeep's frame. I suspect most of the low amazon reviews on it were related to the cheaper versions that all share the same page.

I think with the OEM hitch it should be fine. I can fit my hand between the camera and the post.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Amazon Influencer šŸ˜‚
Sticking with your Built by Amazon, lol.

The only issue I had was figuring out how to use the lock. When it's locked (key) the handle just spins, when key unlocked it's hard to turn as you are cranking the hitch locking mechanism. At first I got it backwards.

When you get it locked in place it's solid. It feels like it's part of the jeep's frame. I suspect most of the low amazon reviews on it were related to the cheaper versions that all share the same page.

I think with the OEM hitch it should be fine. I can fit my hand between the camera and the post.
Yeah man, I watched all the videos and pictures on that page and really liked how the crank works as long as no other vehicle bumps into it lol. Most of the reviews for the locking one works great, but their lower end versions aren't so much. I also really like just sliding into the receiver without having to insert a pin. I always planned on using the bolt locking pin, but not needed with this.
Sponsored