BIKE RACK recommendation for Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 4DR 2021

north53overland

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR (incoming), 2013 Fiat 500T
I pulled the trigger on a Rockymounts Monorail for 2" today. Got it from https://modularacks.com/ $599CDN with free shipping. In the end decided we didn't need the swing out as much as we thought. Really liked 1UP, but a) they are not ready to ship any for at least 6 weeks, then there are shipping, exchange rate and brokerage fees to bring into Canada. For now, i suspect we will be happy with the RM and gets my wife using her bike while we travel.
Sponsored

Cjkinwi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Currently out of stock, but I really like my RockyMounts BackStage with the 8" hitch extender. https://rockymounts.com/backstage/ -- Holds 2 Carbon bikes just fine with no frame contact, and they matched the keys for the locking pins on the hitch to the hitch extender and the cable locks so they're all the same. Swings completely out of the way for full tailgate clearance as well.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Please anybody has good suggestion what kind of a bike rack (for 4 bikes) to buy for Jeep Rubicon 4DR 2021 with back up camera in a spare tire? I do not want to use any on my hardtop.

Thank you for any suggestions.
I bought a Saris on etrailer...made in USA is a plus. Their site is not good at filtering them, it does not always come up when it should. The front 2 are rated 60 lbs, which I needed for the wife's electric bike. The back 2 are 35 lbs which works easily for the kids. It folds and clears the spare tire. Can't ask for more!
https://www.etrailer.com/Bike-Racks/Saris/SA4414B.html

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Many thanks to many who responded to my question bike rack and Jeep...I did very detailed search and for money oyu can get, assuming that very soon many of us may also use electric bikes or sometimes heavier bikes whatever the reason is, quality of work, reliability - almost no repair after many thousands miles....and able to add on..1UP is THE BEST! Truly and if you want to prevent bikes from any damage, this is the way....and it is secure, whihc is important on highways, but also trails. Money is worth of being spend rather then to have accident or damage some very expensive xK bikes. So, ordered 1UP!!! Trust me, I really spent days to look into it..Many thanks for all your comments and suggestions, this forum is awesome.
Thank you for this summary.

my wife and I have just started to look at ebikes as a possible purchase within the next year or so — trading up from some inexpensive trek urban bikes to a “hybrid urban/commuter/touring bike” ebike. Weight is about 50-55 pounds each with racks, etc. We are looking forward to traveling further and, here in CO, being able to tackle some “hills” that currently defeat my wife (and me to a lesser extent).

It seems that many of the ebikes in this class all have fenders (front and rear) which is great for daily usage. Unfortunately, many of the platform bike racks that I see with the “arm/hook over the front tire” mounting method do NOT accept front fenders (specially excluded). Thule seems to have a 2-bike platform rack (60 pound capacity per bike) that uses hooks that attach to the frame rather than the tire but it’s the only one that I have seen.

I guess one solution would just be to take the front fender off as needed to tote the bike somewhere And then put it back on as needed on return.

…… if folks are considering ebikes and racks, do condsider the “fender” issue.

I would also love to hear from folks with ebikes and fenders….. is there a rack that you use?

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I bought a Saris on etrailer...made in USA is a plus. Their site is not good at filtering them, it does not always come up when it should. The front 2 are rated 60 lbs, which I needed for the wife's electric bike. The back 2 are 35 lbs which works easily for the kids. It folds and clears the spare tire. Can't ask for more!
https://www.etrailer.com/Bike-Racks/Saris/SA4414B.html
See my post above.

look s to me like this is a bike frame mount (secures by attaching to bike frame) platform rack, rather than the tire (and a fender issue)….. is that correct? If so, that’s great! Does your wife’s ebike has a large battery on the Down tube and this still securely attaches?

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

MIchaela

First Name
Michaela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Unlimited 4DR 2021
Thank you for this summary.

my wife and I have just started to look at ebikes as a possible purchase within the next year or so — trading up from some inexpensive trek urban bikes to a “hybrid urban/commuter/touring bike” ebike. Weight is about 50-55 pounds each with racks, etc. We are looking forward to traveling further and, here in CO, being able to tackle some “hills” that currently defeat my wife (and me to a lesser extent).

It seems that many of the ebikes in this class all have fenders (front and rear) which is great for daily usage. Unfortunately, many of the platform bike racks that I see with the “arm/hook over the front tire” mounting method do NOT accept front fenders (specially excluded). Thule seems to have a 2-bike platform rack (60 pound capacity per bike) that uses hooks that attach to the frame rather than the tire but it’s the only one that I have seen.

I guess one solution would just be to take the front fender off as needed to tote the bike somewhere And then put it back on as needed on return.

…… if folks are considering ebikes and racks, do condsider the “fender” issue.

I would also love to hear from folks with ebikes and fenders….. is there a rack that you use?
Please consider 1UP - this is truly the best one and still comparable with prices of other bike racks...trust me....and you can add on if necessary.....for expensive e-bikes you need something very good.. good luck

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
See my post above.

look s to me like this is a bike frame mount (secures by attaching to bike frame) platform rack, rather than the tire (and a fender issue)….. is that correct? If so, that’s great! Does your wife’s ebike has a large battery on the Down tube and this still securely attaches?
The Saris rack attaches to the bottom of the tires and the middle mount is height and angle adjustable for the frame. If you can't get past the battery, maybe a small strap there would do the job.
My wife's Pedego has the battery at the rear, it's removable.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
The Saris rack attaches to the bottom of the tires and the middle mount is height and angle adjustable for the frame. If you can't get past the battery, maybe a small strap there would do the job.
My wife's Pedego has the battery at the rear, it's removable.
Thank you for this info.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Please consider 1UP - this is truly the best one and still comparable with prices of other bike racks...trust me....and you can add on if necessary.....for expensive e-bikes you need something very good.. good luck
I hear ya And tend to agree. But the idea of putting the fender on/off every time I want to take the bike somewhere is not appealing to me. To use this rack properly, I would need to take the fender off and keep it off, I think And I’m not sure that I want to do that either……..

decisions decisions.

what’s your plan if you do buy and ebike?

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂