BIKE RACK recommendation for Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 4DR 2021

MIchaela

First Name
Michaela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Unlimited 4DR 2021
Please anybody has good suggestion what kind of a bike rack (for 4 bikes) to buy for Jeep Rubicon 4DR 2021 with back up camera in a spare tire? I do not want to use any on my hardtop.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Sponsored

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Check out Quadratec website. They have some with reviews. I just wanted a tire mount for two bikes and it is back ordered for a while. If I was going for four bikes I would definitely want a swing out design . There are several nice ones. Big bucks but they look heavy duty.

OP
OP

MIchaela

First Name
Michaela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check out Quadratec website. They have some with reviews. I just wanted a tire mount for two bikes and it is back ordered for a while. If I was going for four bikes I would definitely want a swing out design . There are several nice ones. Big bucks but they look heavy duty.
Thank you for your response, appreciate it.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
I have the 1UP and the Rack Attach, its on the pricy side, but absolutely worth the money..

Have you driven Offroad with the Rack Attach? I have a 1Up mounted on a Kuat Pivot and am not thrilled by the Pivot. It comes loose over gravel roads and the angle of departure is horrible (currently it is on my Gladiator, it is not as bad on my wife’s JLR). I doubt the angle of departure will be very different than the Kuat, but hopefully stays tight.

Sponsored

Ranger1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited 2019
Have you driven Offroad with the Rack Attach? I have a 1Up mounted on a Kuat Pivot and am not thrilled by the Pivot. It comes loose over gravel roads and the angle of departure is horrible (currently it is on my Gladiator, it is not as bad on my wife’s JLR). I doubt the angle of departure will be very different than the Kuat, but hopefully stays tight.

Only fire roads and gravel paths, no rock crawling with it. The Rack Attach is very beefy and the swing arm is held in place by a removable rod and you can tighten the latch to the point that its quite hard to undo. That being said you do lose a bit of departure angle.

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
I recently picked up a Thule Trailway 4 from Dick's. Just tried it out yesterday and worked really well. Though I honestly don't think I'll be able to fit 4 bikes on it. I had to get a hitch extension so it would clear the spare. And even though it will lower so you can get in your trunk (on another vehicle), it isn't enough clearance to open the tailgate on my wrangler more than a few inches.

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Do you have version 1 or 2 of the Kuat?
It's actually Rack Attach that makes it for them (was wondering why they look so similar, but heard they switched suppliers for v2). When I was researching it, I heard of the same problem, but didn't know anyone who offloaded with it.
I just ordered the Kuat V2 (mostly because it was in stock) and arrives later this week. Will be mounting my 1up to it.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Do you have version 1 or 2 of the Kuat?
It's actually Rack Attach that makes it for them (was wondering why they look so similar, but heard they switched suppliers for v2). When I was researching it, I heard of the same problem, but didn't know anyone who offloaded with it.
I just ordered the Kuat V2 (mostly because it was in stock) and arrives later this week. Will be mounting my 1up to it.
I think it is version 2, I bought it about two months ago. The rack itself is nice overall. The length is just too much as with any swing out probably. The tightening mechanism did break the first week, but they sent a new cam and said they had some production issues.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MIchaela

First Name
Michaela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it is version 2, I bought it about two months ago. The rack itself is nice overall. The length is just too much as with any swing out probably. The tightening mechanism did break the first week, but they sent a new cam and said they had some production issues.
Thank you all. These days I think it is also important to consider carrying electric bikes, there are only very few options for bike rack.

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
A lot of people on this forum will start suggesting outrageously priced fancy “offroad” gear. Which is totally a fine thing to do if you want that direction

But im here to suggest the “affordable” option. I like this one because its cheap and does the trick. Plus, if it gets beat around its not going to be a huge deal vs. a $400+ mount.

https://www.harborfreight.com/two-bike-hitch-mount-bike-rack-63924.html

Only downside is it only fits 2 bikes.
I’ll keep my eyes open for something comparable for 4 bikes.

OP
OP

MIchaela

First Name
Michaela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A lot of people on this forum will start suggesting outrageously priced fancy “offroad” gear. Which is totally a fine thing to do if you want that direction

But im here to suggest the “affordable” option. I like this one because its cheap and does the trick. Plus, if it gets beat around its not going to be a huge deal vs. a $400+ mount.

https://www.harborfreight.com/two-bike-hitch-mount-bike-rack-63924.html

Only downside is it only fits 2 bikes.
I’ll keep my eyes open for something comparable for 4 bikes.
This is truly very interesting and cheap, and good....if anything that cna hold about 120 pounds in total, this would be good (considering that each electric bike my have 25 kg..thaaanks!!!!

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Cheap options are good, but it's not always just about how well it holds up itself, but how will it protects your bike too, especially if you've got a good amount of money invested in that. I suspect that's why a lot of people look for quality racks that mount based on holding the wheels, not the frame, which tend to be more expensive.

thx138

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU '17 GTI
Occupation
IT
Cheap options are good, but it's not always just about how well it holds up itself, but how will it protects your bike too, especially if you've got a good amount of money invested in that. I suspect that's why a lot of people look for quality racks that mount based on holding the wheels, not the frame, which tend to be more expensive.
This is truth. If you have a carbon frame you should not get any rack that contacts the frame.
Sponsored