Sponsored

Bike Rack Options??

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I'm going to read this entire thread later when I have more time, but the first 1/4 or so didn't really give me any clear answers.

If anyone has a model/brand that jumps out at you... (I'm going to watch for a used one)

I'm looking for an inexpensive hitch mount bike rack for OCCASIONAL use (for 1-2 bikes). Something that's easy to put on and take off, easy to store (well, as easy as a bike rack can be, anyway) and is preferably platform style (not hanging). My current one is hanging and I don't like it. I need to buy an extender for it anyway, but I would much rather just replace it with a new one (I can buy an extender now and a new rack later, if need be).
Idk if I would call it inexpensive exactly, but I have been extremely satisfied with my Rocky Mounts Monorail for 2/3 the price of Thule or Kuat.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I also see North Shore racks used all the time on shuttle vehicles. For racks that don't touch the frame the low end price point is ~$400 new I found.

panda234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKUR
I also see North Shore racks used all the time on shuttle vehicles. For racks that don't touch the frame the low end price point is ~$400 new I found.
The North Shore rack is a nice design but it's for mountain bikes only, and it does touch the fork.

Cyclone88

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2012 JK Sport, 2013 Mini Countryman
Vehicle Showcase
Finally pulled the trigger on a 1UP double rack. Super easy to install and load up with the bikes, whether my Salsa fattie or normal road bike. Folds up a bit when off the Jeep so I can throw it in the back and not trash the metal parts during the winter. It was a bit expensive, but no plastic parts and the ease of use has me thinking I won't be needing to be a new rack any time soon.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-heavy-duty-double-bike-rack/

Sponsored

itstotalbacon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Finally pulled the trigger on a 1UP double rack. Super easy to install and load up with the bikes, whether my Salsa fattie or normal road bike. Folds up a bit when off the Jeep so I can throw it in the back and not trash the metal parts during the winter. It was a bit expensive, but no plastic parts and the ease of use has me thinking I won't be needing to be a new rack any time soon.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-heavy-duty-double-bike-rack/
Nice .... Have the same and 1UP is fantastic. Now just need to get two more trays.

1UP is so easy to load up

Yardie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLUR
Does anyone have any experience with the Quadratec Hitch Mount 2 Bike Platform Rack?

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrat...-two-bike-platform-rack-2-Inch-receiver-hitch

Apologies if I missed previous posts on it, I have been researching hitch platform racks for a number of days now and do not recall seeing this one mentioned on the forum. Until today, I had it narrowed down to Kuat NV 2.0, 1Up USA Heavy Duty and Thule T2 Pro XT (all 2-bike platform racks), but am having a tough time convincing myself to fork over $700-800+ for a rack (required accessories included).

The Quadratec rack includes a security cable kit with locking anti-rattle hitch pin for $300 total (the accessories are currently included with the rack at no additional charge and no shipping cost) and does not appear to require a receiver extension nor drop.

I'm not a hard core mountain biker, so the rack would spend most of it's time in the garage, only attached for those few occasions when biking. I'm also awaiting delivery of our new Jeep, so the savings would go toward hundreds of other items on my wish list ;)

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Does anyone have any experience with the Quadratec Hitch Mount 2 Bike Platform Rack?

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrat...-two-bike-platform-rack-2-Inch-receiver-hitch

Apologies if I missed previous posts on it, I have been researching hitch platform racks for a number of days now and do not recall seeing this one mentioned on the forum. Until today, I had it narrowed down to Kuat NV 2.0, 1Up USA Heavy Duty and Thule T2 Pro XT (all 2-bike platform racks), but am having a tough time convincing myself to fork over $700-800+ for a rack (required accessories included).

The Quadratec rack includes a security cable kit with locking anti-rattle hitch pin for $300 total (the accessories are currently included with the rack at no additional charge and no shipping cost) and does not appear to require a receiver extension nor drop.

I'm not a hard core mountain biker, so the rack would spend most of it's time in the garage, only attached for those few occasions when biking. I'm also awaiting delivery of our new Jeep, so the savings would go toward hundreds of other items on my wish list ;)
I don’t recall seeing anything on that Quadratec rack, though there are posts about others they sell. I have a Kuat NV, a 1UP single and a RockyMounts single. I love the Kuat except for the weight. It’s heavy and cumbersome to move around if you remove it often. The 1UP is awesome except I sometimes have trouble getting the wheel capture pieces to open up to remove the bike. A bit of an art. The RockyMounts is very light and a pretty good design and a much better price point.

For the money, I would choose the RockyMounts. Both the Kuat and 1UP can be extended for more bikes, which is nice if needed. One thing I hate about the 1UP is the hitch mount that requires a special tool, which is basically an Allen key with a hole drilled in it. I once thought I lost both of mine but did eventually find them. If you do need a replacement key they are apparently a pain in the rear to get one from 1UP.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike...l8ZWoqy7v6EUycj54tljNDHI9S6THxtQaArb2EALw_wcB

If you’re concerned about price I’d get the RockyMounts or the Quadratec. Just an opinion.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR

Oh that thing actually looks pretty good! Most racks in that price point grab onto the frame, but that one captures the wheels like the more expensive platform racks! My only concern would be if my MTB's rear tire would hang off or not since it doesn't have a hinged rear tire catcher like my Rocky Mounts. Wheelbases on MTB bikes keep getting larger!

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Idk if I would call it inexpensive exactly, but I have been extremely satisfied with my Rocky Mounts Monorail for 2/3 the price of Thule or Kuat.
I have their roof rack on my pre-Jeep car and it’s awesome. Do you need an extender for yours? Pics? I don’t really mind not being able to open the tailgate all the way, but I do plan on going long distance with it while also packed for camping.

Sponsored

JoshuaaT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6 Speed
Vehicle Showcase
Kuat Transfer 1
Blue Ox 7” Drop Receiver

I can fully open the tailgate without a bike and halfway with a bike. The rack will NOT fit without some type of hitch extension unless you do not run a spare tire.

51ADF09C-282D-43C3-8ABD-5F77D0594F74.jpeg
D7830162-6F22-48FC-B096-0E9884FA6909.jpeg
3EBFF97E-E6E4-4674-A103-3AC9872C7C54.jpeg
99EE993F-C729-43C9-8367-8257842F6BA1.jpeg

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I had my Kuat Transfer 2 mounted today as the gf and I rode the dirt...I like my departure angle with my homebrew hitch extension/pivot. The only bummer is that with my 38" spare it *JUST* interferes enough that I can't open the tg hardly at all unless I use my homebrew contraption to drop the whole thing.

I'll work on addressing that sooner or later - custom is custom

Homebrew mostly detailed here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/bike-hitch-mounts.27935/page-2#post-740038

IMG_20200330_183728507_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200330_183657912_HDR.jpg

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I have their roof rack on my pre-Jeep car and it’s awesome. Do you need an extender for yours? Pics? I don’t really mind not being able to open the tailgate all the way, but I do plan on going long distance with it while also packed for camping.
You definitely need an extender and maybe a hitch dropper in order to open the tailgate fully.

I've got mine mounted on a Kuat Pivot so it all swings out of the way.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I had my Kuat Transfer 2 mounted today as the gf and I rode the dirt...I like my departure angle with my homebrew hitch extension/pivot. The only bummer is that with my 38" spare it *JUST* interferes enough that I can't open the tg hardly at all unless I use my homebrew contraption to drop the whole thing.

I'll work on addressing that sooner or later - custom is custom

Homebrew mostly detailed here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/bike-hitch-mounts.27935/page-2#post-740038

IMG_20200330_183728507_HDR.jpg
Quoting myself, addressed this quickly before a ride today. Lopped off the female receiver tube and moved to the bottom.

The irony is still at this height using the "tip" feature of the Transfer doesn't help 'cause the spare hits the rack hinge before it hits the bikes. But I can still use my homebrew to drop the whole thing so I'm covered, and I can now open the tailgate a reasonable amount when the bikes are up.

IMG_20200405_173829026_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200405_173946696_HDR.jpg

greenvillebigwheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I just got my 1up rack with the reverse side plate option. This thing is made like a tank and fits perfectly on the jeep. No rattles at all and it maintains ground clearance well while allowing you to open the tailgate when the rack is down. I tried to get them to give a discount if I posted some pics and showed how well the reverse side plate option worked on the jl but they wouldnt go for it. They dont advertise this option for some reason. Seems foolish to me since the rack fits horrible on the jl without it but its like its made for it with the option.

850C528B-A9E3-4726-8027-04BBF49BF78F.jpeg

9A01256B-B7CB-4132-9B47-F63088A3E089.jpeg

7A6A9ABA-96A1-43AD-BA6C-9915C4C34372.jpeg
Sponsored