Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Jeep and dealer in OP are in my hometown and I know the Sales Mgr personally. That Jeep was ordered specifically for the Owner and is priced as such because he doesn't want anyone to buy it. It's merely listed to bring in curious and high dollar customers. Has a Ram TRX he's doing the same thing with.
I seriously doubt he doesn't want "anyone" to buy it, but someone willing to shill out $50k over MSRP I bet it's sold in a second :)
Sponsored

jlusmc

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ Rub, 68 CJ5, 47 CJ2A, 42 MB, 19 F-250
Occupation
Criminal Case Auditor
I seriously doubt he doesn't want "anyone" to buy it, but someone willing to shill out $50k over MSRP I bet it's sold in a second :)
didn't say he wouldn't sell it. just probably would prefer not to. Was there the day it arrived then saw listed it for 125k two days later. My understanding is he collects racecars and such. This specific vehicle is supposed to go in his collection.

Last edited:

TaZ_65

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
What bothers me the most about the original post is that the Jeep isn't even clean in the pictures. Clearly the owner or sales manager wants to drive something for a while but needs to have it shown as inventory. Of course they'll sell it if someone wants it!

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Their ad says MSRP is $125,000 which is misleading. Can a dealer legally advertise an inflated asking price as MSRP in Texas?
This is what is known as a "MARKET ADJUSTMENT". Dealers routinely do "market adjustments" on vehicles that are in high demand and can't be kept on the lot. The last two vehicles in my local area (Central Texas) that I saw with "market adjustments" were a Ford Raptor that had a $35,000 "market adjustment" and a Ford Mustang GT 500 also with a $35,000 "market adjustment". Both of those "market adjustments" pushed the vehicle price well north of $100,000 on both. Obviously, dealers will not negotiate on those vehicles either.

Namakan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
This is what is known as a "MARKET ADJUSTMENT". Dealers routinely do "market adjustments" on vehicles that are in high demand and can't be kept on the lot. The last two vehicles in my local area (Central Texas) that I saw with "market adjustments" were a Ford Raptor that had a $35,000 "market adjustment" and a Ford Mustang GT 500 also with a $35,000 "market adjustment". Both of those "market adjustments" pushed the vehicle price well north of $100,000 on both. Obviously, dealers will not negotiate on those vehicles either.
In this instance however their online price was listed as "MSRP" and not as a market adjustment. My question was can a dealer legally and/or contractually manipulate what they advertise as MSRP when the manufacturer is the one who sets this price.

Sponsored

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Vehicles people actually want to buy have a markup. Vehicles people do not want to buy have incentives/rebates. It’s business. It’s supply and demand.

BadWolf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Sarge Green)
Their ad says MSRP is $125,000 which is misleading. Can a dealer legally advertise an inflated asking price as MSRP in Texas?
I just looked (6/18 at 1:20 AM), and now you can buy it for the low price of $100,000

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Law Enforcement, Self Defense/Firearms Trainer, Professional Musician, Off Road Enthusiast.
At Korf Motors, here in Sterling, Colorado is where I ordered and then bought my first ever Jeep, a 2021 JL Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.

Because I am starting a YouTube channel about off roading and my salesman and the dealership wanted to be involved with it and come on as a sponsor of mine, they have told me that they will give very special pricing to anyone that lives anywhere that is here, in the United States of America, and orders and then buys or leases a vehicle from them. My salesman Tony, said to call the dealership, talk to him, tell him that you were referred by me and you will get the special pricing and he can then make sure the vehicle gets delivered to that persons local dealership for delivery.

With the 392 Rubicon, he said the order build time might be longer than other vehicles but he will order and then sell or lease one for less than MSRP, to anyone that was referred by me.

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
In this instance however their online price was listed as "MSRP" and not as a market adjustment. My question was can a dealer legally and/or contractually manipulate what they advertise as MSRP when the manufacturer is the one who sets this price.
I really don't see why they can't do that. Does it upset people? Probably. Are people going to still pay the price listed on the sticker regardless? Probably. It's all about supply and demand...just like gas or a lot of other things that are in short supply right now. Case in point...my Jeep JLUR is 3 years old with a bit over 32K miles on it. Just in the last month, I've been offered $4,000 more for it than what I paid for it when it was brand new by a used car dealership that specializes in Jeep Wranglers.

Anyway...I guess I should have clarified what I've seen. Dealers will/have put the "market adjustment" on an addition to the window sticker and added the adjustment price as if it were an option and then added it to the overall final price...in this case -- $98,740.00. Please see the attached picture. My mistake on the "market adjustment" I previously quoted. It is $30,000 and not $35,000 for which I've seen. This one is for a Ford Shelby GT350R that was at a dealer here in central Texas a while back.

MktAdj_Photo1.jpg

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
What's ironic is I bet many who cry the loudest about ADM would not have any problem taking $15K more for their vehicle than they paid a year ago.

Sam

Sponsored

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
LOL...Yes, my thoughts exactly. That must be a special blend of crack that dealership is smoking.
Smart dealer.

As mentioned, the owner collects race cars and sees these vehicles as "halo" vehicles that will bring people into the dealership.

If someone actually offers that much, he'll sell them the vehicle, otherwise it will eventually go into his collection as intended.

You see the same thing all the time with other halo cars.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I was at my local Jeep dealer in Longmont, CO for an oil change. My wife and I got our first good look at a TRX. Sticker was $75K and it was very well equipped, but they want $100K. I sold my Raptor a couple months ago, so I’m ready to get a new truck.

I told my sales rep, who I bought my Wrangler from, that I had $20K down and I could easily finance the rest but I wanted to for sticker.

no deal..

But the manager promised to sell one one at sticker from their 2022 allocation. So I’ve got that going for me.. 😂

anyways, they had two TRXs and only one other Ram truck on the lot. They had exactly one Wrangler. They’re really hurting for inventory.
Sponsored