Engineering project manager

EMpunker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon V6
When I bought my 3.6 Rubi last month, I called 5 local dealerships and only one was offering at MSRP. Even run of the mill Rubi's are $5k over sticker here...

OP
OP
Indi_Spence

Indi_Spence

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport s
It's not ridiculous to ask for $30K over MSRP.

It is ridiculous to actually buy/pay that.

But to one extent or another, we all do this for convenience or wants. I just paid $0.60/round for ammo that used to be priced at $022/round. We prob all paid $40 for a bottle of wine that costs $12 at the liquor store. Or $30 for a Disney shirt for the kids that costs $3 from China. Heck many here prob paid $100K more to live in a house in the "right" zip code.
WHAT ABOUT 55K?

Pegleg

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Vice President - Woburn Sportsmen's Association
Seriously, if you even pay msrp your getting shafted. If you pay more…well the old saying “a fool and his money are soon parted”😏
When I bought my JL last fall I went to many dealers looking. Very little to no stock anywhere. 4 doors selling before or as soon as they hit the pavement. People putting down deposits for 4 door Wranglers not even on the lot. Dealers advertising stock on the web that either already sold or wasn't delivered yet. Common theme was except for Gladiators and 2 Door Wranglers most dealers were charging around $2k over MSRP.

I held tight. It took me a few months but I found what I was looking for and paid exactly MSRP. Sometimes the market dictates that you aren't going to get below MSRP. After the Covid shut downs last year etc. buying last fall from late August to mid October there were no deals in my area for 4 door Wranglers.

Sponsored

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
Waaaaaait a second... Everyone is over looking the Central Florida Family Advantage Plan..... Money well spent.... Come on folks, Nitrogen Filled tires with FIVE refills....
well worth the extra 30 beans!
Look above I just did

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
When I bought my JL last fall I went to many dealers looking. Very little to no stock anywhere. 4 doors selling before or as soon as they hit the pavement. People putting down deposits for 4 door Wranglers not even on the lot. Dealers advertising stock on the web that either already sold or wasn't delivered yet. Common theme was except for Gladiators and 2 Door Wranglers most dealers were charging around $2k over MSRP.

I held tight. It took me a few months but I found what I was looking for and paid exactly MSRP. Sometimes the market dictates that you aren't going to get below MSRP. After the Covid shut downs last year etc. buying last fall from late August to mid October there were no deals in my area for 4 door Wranglers.
I bought last July/august. No jeeps at most dealer around me. Then I found my dealer 60 miles away. They literally had a whole parking lot full of them. I had a pic from every single color with the options I wanted. They also had a ton! Of other builds. Crazy. They said they get allotment that a lot of pa dealers don’t get cause of the volume of wranglers they do. A few months ago when I went down for an oil change I couldn’t even drive through the lot cause of the amount of rigs they had. Crazy crazy!

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
And dealers then wonder why they have such crummy reputation.
True, dealers do this, but not without reason. Pre launch, the very wealthy, early adopters ran to their nearest dealer, opened up their pocketbooks and said, “I don’t care what it costs me, just charge me and get it to me.”

Then there was strong demand and perceived limited supply. The conditions were prime for dealer added markup.

At first it was amusing to watch those who thought they were wealthy go to a dealer, ask for a 392 allocation, then a discount and then get told to go fly a kite.

The 392 was initially reserved for only the wealthy and from a dealer’s point of view, that’s who they love and want to sell to. That bubble is everything a greedy dealer could ever want.

Demand is currently still high, supply is still low and these conditions are still opportunistic and favor the dealer.

The bubble will only last for as much as demand stays high, supply low and buyers are willing to continue to pay whatever the asking price.

Market conditions dictate how much or less the ADM is. Want prices to come back down? Stop, drop or slow down the demand for the 392’s.

Smear and fear tactics work to scare people from them. Saying praiseworthy things will only keep the bubble alive.

Sponsored

rayzjeep

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Everything is worth what someone is willing to pay.....if no one ever paid over MSRP...no one would ever ask over MSRP. More money than sense.

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392, '20 JLR, '00 TRD Tacoma
Stopped in at Jeep dealer in Bend, had a conversation with a friendly salesman. He said they sold a 392 for 50K market adjustment a couple of weeks before. They had a TREX on the floor they were asking 30K market adjustment. Crazy times, a lot of people with money have moved into Bend in the last few years. He also stated that a few days before they upped the price on every vehicle they had, new and used, 2K as everything was scarce. Cottage Grove Chevrolet dealer had only 6 new vehicles in stock a couple weeks ago. I'm worried my 392 order which is supposed to ship the end of this month will somehow get jacked up. I'll for sure walk if that happens. 77K is already pretty foolish for a vehicle you intend to risk 4 wheeling and subject to the elements, such as rocks and mud. I don't do hard core wheeling anymore but do a lot of back country exploring and going to remote shooting spots.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Whats the dealer mark up on the 4Xe ?
Sponsored