Sponsored

Biggest adjustment when going to a Wrangler?

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

I went from a twin turbo 911 manual to a Sport S manual. Biggest adjustment was losing the power (0-60 in 3 seconds) but no one in their right mind needs that power and when driving at speed you're putting people's lives at risk. The open cockpit, styling, and smooth manual make the JL almost as much fun - and I could buy a lot of other cr*p too with the money saved.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I tested the "anti-stall" today and it worked great even up a hill. I'll test her again when traffic is backed up on I-40 today. If traffic isn't at a dead stop, I won't have to touch the clutch. Thanks for posting the tip!
The Hill start assist?

cooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Jeeps
Particularly for those of you in my situation (going from a full-size truck to a Wrangler), what was your biggest adjustment in going to the Jeep? Positive and negative all welcome.

I don't have mine yet of course, but I'm thinking the biggest adjustment will be storage space. I can store a small house in my long-bed, so anytime the wife and I go to Lowe's, Best Buy, etc., I know we can drive away with pretty much anything they have.

As a positive, I can't WAIT to be able to park ANYWHERE. Also, to actually have a respectable turn radius again.
The manual seat adjustments.

OP
OP
shacdaddy

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
The manual seat adjustments.
Yep. When I was shopping for a new vehicle in 2015, I originally wanted a JK but went w/ the Denali because I thought for $50k plus this interior should feel a lot nicer.

Now the JL has basically everything I wanted in 2015 (minus the power seats, but I get it.)

Sponsored

Calexb

First Name
Carlton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - Granite Crystal - Manual - Loaded
The Hill start assist?
Not the hill start assist. Leave your Rubicon in first gear and take your foot off the gas while you are rolling. As it winds down to 0 mph, it does not start but picks up and starts to crawl.

Calexb

First Name
Carlton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My “anti-stall” must be broken. Lol
Put your Rubicon in first gear and get rolling then take your foot off the gas and see that instead of going down to 0 mph and stalling out, it keeps going at a crawl.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Not the hill start assist. Leave your Rubicon in first gear and take your foot off the gas while you are rolling. As it winds down to 0 mph, it does not start but picks up and starts to crawl.
Isn't that just the engine idling in gear then?

Calexb

First Name
Carlton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isn't that just the engine idling in gear then?
No. With a manual shift, there is no idling in gear with your foot off the clutch.

Last edited:

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
No. With a manual shift, there is no idling in gear with your foot off the clutch.
I've always understood the phrase "idling in gear" to refer to this exact scenario; crawling along in 1st gear, foot off gas/clutch, engine at idle RPM. Most diesels do this, heck even my GTI will do it after a cold start on a flat road (idle RPM is higher after a cold start, so it produces enough torque at idle RPM to propel the car).

Last edited:

Sponsored

Windycityjeep

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Went from an Acadia to the JLU. The biggest thing I miss is all the room the Acadia had for "stuff". If only they made that JLU 10"or 12" longer. The gauges are definitely in your face more, but I can hardly wait for the big snow to come.

Had a JGC in previous Chicago snow storms--it was a
complete blast!!!

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
This isn’t true. Every manual shift drivetrain ive ever driven has a threshold of torque to which the engine will provide sufficient power to rotate the wheels in first gear. The wrangler is geared really high, thus the feeling of it going easier on it’s own. You can absolutely stall this vehicle in first gear. If you don’t think so, get in some sand and try this experiment again.

Calexb

First Name
Carlton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This isn’t true. Every manual shift drivetrain ive ever driven has a threshold of torque to which the engine will provide sufficient power to rotate the wheels in first gear. The wrangler is geared really high, thus the feeling of it going easier on it’s own. You can absolutely stall this vehicle in first gear. If you don’t think so, get in some sand and try this experiment again.
So I have driven quite a few stick shifts in my years. This is the only one that will crawl in first on flat and then on a hill approach, instead of stalling at the start of the hill or in the middle, it actually self-accelerates and maintains a constant slow speed (within a tight range of speed 3-5mph or so) and climbs the hill without stalling. I have only done it on pavement, never on sand, but I would expect to get the same results as I do on pavement. The threshold of torque you are referring to, I definitely feel that in the other gears where it seems like it would not stall - kinda keeps going by itself, but it would ultimately stall. Like i said, my Rubicon starts on flat and then climbs the hill, all without me touching the accelerator. It does not stall. I know there was one other poster who experienced it. Any other manual Rubi owners who have experienced it? I think we all have the same engine/axle specs right? (I am not a mechanical guy at all.)

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I too went from a Full size Truck, 2007 Chevy Duramax diesel/Allison 4x4 2500HD. Honestly I don't miss it yet because I only drove it occasional. My daily driver was a 2000 Cherokee XJ. The truck was just sitting there so I sold it to some one way up north for 17,500.00 I just had to for that price. I probably will wend up buying a beater truck down the road for around 5k and just use that for carrying around junk etc. The Jeep is just way better to drive than the 3/4ton Truck honestly.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
BIggest adjustment from my well set up TJ to the new Rubi is I dont have to climb into the rubi....but that will change soon. lol

The other adjustment is getting used to how well it drives, and other creature comforts the TJ doesnt even come close to. Still love that TJ though.
Sponsored