Sponsored

Bigger tires on 2.0 turbo JLUR

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Because impulse got the best of me I bought the turbo edition of this year's Rubicon (there were no 6 cylinders on the lot). Does the smaller engine limit me on getting bigger wheels and tires? I'm thinking 37's but don't want to waste my time if it puts too much stress on the motor.
Sponsored

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
You will be more than fine! The turbo motor has more torque than the 3.6. I am running 37's and the 2.0 doesn't even flinch.
I do find myself wanting gears on the highway simply so 8th gear is used more, plus I feel like that will bring back some of my MPG lost.

I have about 6000 mile son my setup and ran the highway all weekend on a trip to St Louis, and the MPG was BAD. I found myself between 12.5 and 13 running 80mph consistently. Outside temps were in the teens. When I was watching the mpg in the warmer months it was not nearly this bad.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
You will be more than fine! The turbo motor has more torque than the 3.6. I am running 37's and the 2.0 doesn't even flinch.
I do find myself wanting gears on the highway simply so 8th gear is used more, plus I feel like that will bring back some of my MPG lost.

I have about 6000 mile son my setup and ran the highway all weekend on a trip to St Louis, and the MPG was BAD. I found myself between 12.5 and 13 running 80mph consistently. Outside temps were in the teens. When I was watching the mpg in the warmer months it was not nearly this bad.
We’re getting a bit off topic, but 80 will I affect your mileage a lot.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Well aware of that. This is much worse than I usually see tho. Strong headwind much of the trip though.

Sponsored

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase

I sent you a PM on a wheel/tire topic. Little info would be great, thank you in advance!

Vedder

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited

What are your rpm’s at at 80?

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Not exactly sure, I will report back after my commute home. Also depends on what gear your in.
I never use the manual shift on the automatic, yesterday I did while cruise was set at 80. I bumped it into 8th (from 7th) to see if it would hold the gear even if it was unable to maintain the cruise set speed. It does indeed stay in the selected gear even if its unable to maintain speed. On a hill my Jeep dropped to 70 and stayed in 8th, when it flattened out it was able to get back up to 80.
I found this interesting because on my Ram if I select say 5th gear, the truck will never shift into 6th, but it will downshift as needed to maintain speed set on cruise.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Because impulse got the best of me I bought the turbo edition of this year's Rubicon (there were no 6 cylinders on the lot). Does the smaller engine limit me on getting bigger wheels and tires? I'm thinking 37's but don't want to waste my time if it puts too much stress on the motor.
No. If anything you've got the right motor for it. The 4 has more torque and will have better acceleration. Not sure how those who have the 4 are doing with staying in 8th gear on the highway. My 6 on 37's ran really well but struggled to make it into 8th very often. Not like I really cared, but some people want that gear, in which case, as someone already mentioned, you will need a regear. The Turbo will mask it with its torque curve.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Its not fun to have a motor that when its not in boost will have trouble rolling 37’s with 4.10’s.

Sponsored

Robbys3m3

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I have 40's on my new 2.0 rubi and im consistently surprised how well it still drives. will I regear it? im sure I will, but I have no complaints with the motor or the torque delivery at the moment.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Its not fun to have a motor that when its not in boost will have trouble rolling 37’s with 4.10’s.
You're right, I felt the same way with my V6 on 37s. It was never in boost............:devil: