hopupinmyjeep

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 2.0L 4 Cylinder Turbo
Hello! Newbie here,
I just purchased a 2.0T 4-Cyl a couple weeks ago and I am looking to install some 35 inch tires, 18 inch wheels, and a 2.5” lift soon. Wanting to know if the stock gears and other components would be able to handle this upgrade or if it is a bad idea without regearing first.

also I am not sure what the stock gear ratio is on mine, it’s a 2018 unlimited sport.

thanks!

AE430EEB-9888-45F1-9986-0B652A0B8AED.jpeg
Sponsored

Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I would imagine that you have 3.45 gears. With a proper lift everything would handle 35" tires but you will notice a difference in acceleration due to the 3.45 gears. I am sure others have run 35" tires on the 3.45 gears and can give you more input. If you search the forum you will find a ton of good info.

Foster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I have a 2.5 lift with 35" Cooper St Maxx's. Super heavy D Load tire. I dont see much of 8th gear anymore. Aim for a lighter tire like C Load BFG KO2's.

I think if you go with a lighter tire you'll be fine. With the st maxx's I got 17 mpg highway on a road trip (hand calculated). Most of that was in 7th gear lol. I'm definitely going with a lighter tire next time. On long road trips the high rpm gets annoying.

Your axle ratio is 3.45.

OP
OP
hopupinmyjeep

hopupinmyjeep

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2.5 lift with 35" Cooper St Maxx's. Super heavy D Load tire. I dont see much of 8th gear anymore. Aim for a lighter tire like C Load BFG KO2's.

I think if you go with a lighter tire you'll be fine. With the st maxx's I got 17 mpg highway on a road trip (hand calculated). Most of that was in 7th gear lol. I'm definitely going with a lighter tire next time. On long road trips the high rpm gets annoying.

Your axle ratio is 3.45.
This is good info, thanks!!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
You'll be fine. Just be sure to reprogram for the larger tires size. The ZF 8-speed is a learning transmission. It adapts to your driving habits, so it can perform optimally, but still requires accurate baseline input (tire size, final drive gear ratio, etc).

Sponsored

OP
OP
hopupinmyjeep

hopupinmyjeep

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You'll be fine. Just be sure to reprogram for the larger tires size. The ZF 8-speed is a learning transmission. It adapts to your driving habits, so it can perform optimally, but still requires accurate baseline input (tire size, final drive gear ratio, etc).
[/QUOthank you!
That makes sense, thank you!

Foster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I have the 4 cylinder with 35’s and haven’t regeared, I drive on the highway a couple times a week and hit 8th gear just as much as I did before.
What tires? My Coopers are 67 pounds each. Unless its perfectly flat or downhill, it wont go into 8th.

Jitzy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Occupation
Retired Police, Now Certified Custom Club Fitter
Nitto ridge grapplers.

Foster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Nitto ridge grapplers.
Weird. You have stock 3.45 gears yet go into 8th like normal? I never adjusted the speedometer for 35s. Maybe that's why. Didnt think it would make a difference.

Sponsored

Jitzy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Occupation
Retired Police, Now Certified Custom Club Fitter
Weird. You have stock 3.45 gears yet go into 8th like normal? I never adjusted the speedometer for 35s. Maybe that's why. Didnt think it would make a difference.
So I have a Willys and it came with mud terrain tires so maybe that’s why it’s about the same as before but I only hit it on the highway. You have to drive it easy and not like you stole it.

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
it will make a difference as the trans believes you are on stock diameter tires. i used a Tazer and it definitely made a difference and I see 8th a lot more than without the adjustment.

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
So I have a Willys and it came with mud terrain tires so maybe that’s why it’s about the same as before but I only hit it on the highway. You have to drive it easy and not like you stole it.
I can vouch for this.

I ran 35's BFG mud terrains (74.4 lbs) with a lift and without one for awhile, and was worried that I would not see 8th gear.

I have the same specs as OP, 2.0 L Turbo, 3.45 gearing - I still haven't recalibrated for bigger tires. I eventually will , and its nice to hear that doing so would change things for the better!

Anyways, I still get 8th gear all the time - you'll have to cruise to get there. logically if you step on the pedal - you ll probably go down a gear rather than climb up:)

Definitely there is a difference in "peppyness" having 35s vs the stock 32's. It still has pep, but not as much as it used to (as expected). Will be regearing in the future. For now, I'm still pleased with the way it drives.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I can vouch for this.

I ran 35's BFG mud terrains (74.4 lbs) with a lift and without one for awhile, and was worried that I would not see 8th gear.

I have the same specs as OP, 2.0 L Turbo, 3.45 gearing - I still haven't recalibrated for bigger tires. I eventually will , and its nice to hear that doing so would change things for the better!

Anyways, I still get 8th gear all the time - you'll have to cruise to get there. logically if you step on the pedal - you ll probably go down a gear rather than climb up:)

Definitely there is a difference in "peppyness" having 35s vs the stock 32's. It still has pep, but not as much as it used to (as expected). Will be regearing in the future. For now, I'm still pleased with the way it drives.
You would get a great deal of the pep back, by correcting the programmed tire size. Right now, your shift points are all over the place because your transmission is confused.