TL1

TL1

First Name
Tee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Have you ever ran a C load tire? They are more than capable on a wrangler and ride smoother on road and flex/conform better to the terrain providing better traction than a d load or e load tire. That's why most folks who wheel Wranglers alot prefer load c when available.(38" load c milestar, 39" km3 load c, 40" load c stt pro....etc) Load d and e tires are ideal on heavier vehicles. I was running a c load 35 and switched to a d load 37 and it rides noticeably stiffer and the tire doesn't air down as well.

Consider this, Ford engineers selected a c load ko2 for the 5600 lb raptor. Jeep engineers also chose a c load ko2 for the rubicon. I wish there was a c load 37x12.50x17!
Thanks for the info! I have not ran any other tire on my Jeeps other than the factory tires. This is my first time going bigger and I'm learning from all the comments! Only this is I can't seem to find any D or C load in the 35x12.50R20, I did see that Nitto Ridge Grappler have a 35x11.50R20 in a E load and did see D load in 37s but didn't want that big of a tire plus it cost more! I personally don't like the 17 look, I was considering 18 but same issue work tire load.
Sponsored

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I just moved from a D rated tire to a C. The D was a harsh ride on the road, and didn't conform to the rocks enough when off-roading. I don't think you'll be happy with an F at all.

trazbyte

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito 2018 JLUR v6 Manual- 37" xTreme MT2, DirtyLife Wheels, 3.5" Teraflex w/3.3 Falcon Shocks, 5.13 Gearing, Ace Engineering Fenders, JCR Inner Fenders
On my JLUR I am rocking the same lift/shock combo, but with Pro Comp xTreme MT2s 37X12.50R17 D Rated Tire. I run them at 28 PSI which is still overfilled for the load capacity @ 3525lbs per tire. I should be at 24 PSI per calculation below. Ride is still stiff. A little more than I would like, but tolerable. I run my Falcon 3.3 @ Setting 2.4 to get a decent ride. Off-road they don't conform enough to what I would like, still get slippage at 12PSI.

On My JKUR (Wife's Jeep) I am using Mickey Thompson Baja Boss's 35x12.5R17 D Rating and run them at 30 psi @ 3000lbs load capacity. Should be at 28 PSI per calculation below. What a major difference on & off road (12PSI). Conforms to the rocks much better off road and much smoother on road.

Personally I like the MTs over the ProComps for the on and off street ride. the Mickeys out performed the Pro Comps in Moab in every way. I have heard of issues with the Mickey's getting them to balance up, but I personally have not had that experience yet and it would bug the hell out of me if they were.

This is personal preference type of thing. Some people like a stiff ride, while others like a smooth ride. Really depends on you. Key factor is getting the PSI right for the weight of your vehicle vs the load capacity of the tire to dial in the ride. However, the sidewall will be very stiff and give you a terrible off-road experience and on-road bump dampening.

Doing an F series tire you are going to be running a certain PSI in the tire to get the tire wear and ride correct. For instance:

F Series Tire is 3640 lbs @ 80 PSI vs weight of vehicle would come out to:

(Tire Max Load x 4 Tires) / JLUR Weight = Tire PSI Load to Vehicle Weight

(3640lbs x 4) / 5800lbs = 2.5

Tire PSI Load to Vehicle Weight / Max Tire Pressure = Tire Pressure that should be used for proper wear/ride

2.5 / 80psi (Max Tire PSI) = 32 PSI

** You could go up/down 2 PSI to dial in the ride.

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
I like my Patagonia’s :devil:

OP, you have some great wheeling just a few hours west.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks for the info! I have not ran any other tire on my Jeeps other than the factory tires. This is my first time going bigger and I'm learning from all the comments! Only this is I can't seem to find any D or C load in the 35x12.50R20, I did see that Nitto Ridge Grappler have a 35x11.50R20 in a E load and did see D load in 37s but didn't want that big of a tire plus it cost more! I personally don't like the 17 look, I was considering 18 but same issue work tire load.
Visit Hidden falls park outside Marble falls. You will change your mind on off-roading, change your viewpoint on 17s, and find plenty of C tires! :clap:

Sponsored

OP
OP
TL1

TL1

First Name
Tee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I have 35 Toyo open country at2 E rated. I don’t find them to be stiff at all. I use my wrangler as my daily and blue trails for rock crawling and I find these tires to be a good mix for this.
May I ask are they a smooth quiet ride? I was also looking at the toyo AT3 as secondary to Nitto Ridge Grappler.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
May I ask are they a smooth quiet ride? I was also looking at the toyo AT3 as secondary to Nitto Ridge Grappler.
I would say they are a fraction louder than the stock Goodyear wrangler AT that came on mine. I’ve had other people comment that can’t believe how quiet they are. Definitely a smooth ride. I run at 30psi.

Reactions: TL1
OP
OP
TL1

TL1

First Name
Tee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU
On my JLUR I am rocking the same lift/shock combo, but with Pro Comp xTreme MT2s 37X12.50R17 D Rated Tire. I run them at 28 PSI which is still overfilled for the load capacity @ 3525lbs per tire. I should be at 24 PSI per calculation below. Ride is still stiff. A little more than I would like, but tolerable. I run my Falcon 3.3 @ Setting 2.4 to get a decent ride. Off-road they don't conform enough to what I would like, still get slippage at 12PSI.

On My JKUR (Wife's Jeep) I am using Mickey Thompson Baja Boss's 35x12.5R17 D Rating and run them at 30 psi @ 3000lbs load capacity. Should be at 28 PSI per calculation below. What a major difference on & off road (12PSI). Conforms to the rocks much better off road and much smoother on road.

Personally I like the MTs over the ProComps for the on and off street ride. the Mickeys out performed the Pro Comps in Moab in every way. I have heard of issues with the Mickey's getting them to balance up, but I personally have not had that experience yet and it would bug the hell out of me if they were.

This is personal preference type of thing. Some people like a stiff ride, while others like a smooth ride. Really depends on you. Key factor is getting the PSI right for the weight of your vehicle vs the load capacity of the tire to dial in the ride. However, the sidewall will be very stiff and give you a terrible off-road experience and on-road bump dampening.

Doing an F series tire you are going to be running a certain PSI in the tire to get the tire wear and ride correct. For instance:

F Series Tire is 3640 lbs @ 80 PSI vs weight of vehicle would come out to:

(Tire Max Load x 4 Tires) / JLUR Weight = Tire PSI Load to Vehicle Weight

(3640lbs x 4) / 5800lbs = 2.5

Tire PSI Load to Vehicle Weight / Max Tire Pressure = Tire Pressure that should be used for proper wear/ride

2.5 / 80psi (Max Tire PSI) = 32 PSI

** You could go up/down 2 PSI to dial in the ride.
Thank you for all the info!!! But I new to this and not for sure what all it exactly mean sorry! I do notice alot of people have 35s on 17, I like the look of the 20s on 35's and didn't know about the load rating until my installer told me about the F load with the Nitto tire.

OP
OP
TL1

TL1

First Name
Tee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I would say they are a fraction louder than the stock Goodyear wrangler AT that came on mine. I’ve had other people comment that can’t believe how quiet they are. Definitely a smooth ride. I run at 30psi.
Thanks! Mines came stock with Bridgestone
Ducler 18s. I'm stuck between choosing Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.50R20 F load or 35x11.50R20 E load or Toyo AT3 35x12.50R20 E load. Can't find any D or C in that particular size.

Turchman

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 VW Tiguan, 2001 Infinity
Occupation
Engineer and Quality Manager
OP, the other point to remember is that a 20" tire will ride much stiffer than a 17". This will magnify the stiffness of the higher load rating.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
20’s don’t belong on Jeeps, there is a reason you can’t find a decent tire with a 20” hole and softer sidewalls.
Sponsored