Sponsored

Bigger lighter vs smaller heavier? MPGs?

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Which tire would net you better fuel economy?

1. A 315 /70/17 that weights 52 lbs?
Or
2. A 285/70/17 that weights 56 lbs?
Basically as we know the Jeep Rubicon comes standard with the 33" KO2s but if we switch to 35s typically they would make fuel economy worse. But what if they're lighter then the stock tires? Good year territories MT are 35 inch tires that only weight 52 lbs. Which is lighter then stock.

So would the lighter weight actually be better for fuel economy or would the larger diameter negate that? Maybe it would just be a wash?

Either way I'm definitely intrigued by the lighter weight of these larger tires. When I get my new 2022 I'd definitely be tempted to switch to them.
Sponsored

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I think there are more variables to consider, one of them being the contact patch and the increased friction (more rolling resistance) that comes with the wider tire.

I would bet that pretty much anything that strays in any way from the OEM factory formula and setup negatively affects MPG, whether that be lifting the vehicle or changing the wheels and tires. There are engineers spending their entire working days, months, and years optimizing the Wrangler to wring MPGs out of the ridiculous rolling brick.

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport

Or
Basically as we know the Jeep Rubicon comes standard with the 33" KO2s but if we switch to 35s typically they would make fuel economy worse. But what if they're lighter then the stock tires? Good year territories MT are 35 inch tires that only weight 52 lbs. Which is lighter then stock.

So would the lighter weight actually be better for fuel economy or would the larger diameter negate that? Maybe it would just be a wash?

Either way I'm definitely intrigued by the lighter weight of these larger tires. When I get my new 2022 I'd definitely be tempted to switch to them.
I bet they would be very close to the same MPG the bigger tire has more rolling resistance and bigger contact patch but since it is lighter that helps. Either way it’s a Jeep and like most girls always say Bigger is Better!! Lol…So without question if you were making this choice go with the bigger tire, the mpg’s will be negligible vs the much better benefits and better ground clearance for offroad! Now if it’s just a mall crawler then maybe not the smaller tires are probably a little cheaper but maybe not but to me either way even if I never took it off-road the bigger tires always make the Jeep look much better!!

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Overall diameter comes into play too. Think gears on a bike. The bigger gears are harder to get moving from a stop. It doesn’t matter if they are made of titanium or steel. At 4 lbs per side, it makes little difference.

Width also comes into play. The bigger tire has more rubber on the ground and therefore more rolling resistance. The bigger tire also has more wind resistance when underway.

You will not get better MPGs with 35s. If you go to 4.30 gears, you may get some back that was lost with 3.45s. Same principal as the bike gearing again.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Overall diameter comes into play too. Think gears on a bike. The bigger gears are harder to get moving from a stop. It doesn’t matter if they are made of titanium or steel. At 4 lbs per side, it makes little difference.

Width also comes into play. The bigger tire has more rubber on the ground and therefore more rolling resistance. The bigger tire also has more wind resistance when underway.

You will not get better MPGs with 35s. If you go to 4.30 gears, you may get some back that was lost with 3.45s. Same principal as the bike gearing again.
All this definitely comes into play. But I'm not talking about regular 35s in general because all this is obvious as we all know. It's just these Wrangler territory MTs are really light and they are actually not as wide as most 35s. I may be wrong but I have this feeling the mpgs would be a wash and the same if not really close to the same as the stock BFGs. Being that these tires are brand new I think we'll eventually find out. They're actually the stock tires that the Bronco Sasquatch uses. I'm guessing better fuel economy was one of the reasons Ford chose them.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Rolling resistance, aerodynamics, and overall diameter work against the 35’s. The lighter weight will help negate a little bit of that, but there’s 0 chance you’d see improved fuel economy. Less of a loss than a heavy 35 obviously. Maybe enough to be a wash best case scenario, but even that is a stretch considering all the negative impacts on economy caused by a larger tire. Of course none of us bought our Jeep’s for fuel economy, but it is an interesting idea.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Rolling resistance, aerodynamics, and overall diameter work against the 35’s. The lighter weight will help negate a little bit of that, but there’s 0 chance you’d see improved fuel economy. Less of a loss than a heavy 35 obviously. Maybe enough to be a wash best case scenario, but even that is a stretch considering all the negative impacts on economy caused by a larger tire. Of course none of us bought our Jeep’s for fuel economy, but it is an interesting idea.
Yeah I'm definitely not looking at these thinking I'm going to save massively on fuel economy. I just think they look like the best option for fuel economy minded people looking to go with 35s. That's all.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Another thing to consider, in my experience the generally softer Goodyears have always given me issues with punctures and flats. They ride great at the expense of durability. The only exception was a set of MTRs that held up to everything, but rode terrible.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Another thing to consider, in my experience the generally softer Goodyears have always given me issues with punctures and flats. They ride great at the expense of durability. The only exception was a set of MTRs that held up to everything, but rode terrible.
Yeah I would definitely imagine these would be for more on road use and moderate Off-roading. Although people that have tested them seem to be pretty impressed with them Off-road for what they are while testing the Bronco Sasquatch.

I can see myself chosing these for my daily drivers and then having a set of Nitto trail grapplers on a set of different wheels for more extreme Off-roading If I decide to ever get into that. Although most of my Jeep use will be more adventure Off-roading and traveling logging roads.

Most 35 inch tires weight 75lbs+ so I would definitely imagine these would be good for wanting 35s but saving fuel economy as well. A good happy medium set up. 52lbs is pretty lightweight.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
All you can do is try them and see how they are. I don’t think anyone here has tried a set, so you will be the first to review.

The funny thing about that tire is, Ford didn’t want the name “Wrangler” on the Bronco tires. So Ford produced AT tires without the Wrangler brand on them. Goodyear’s Wrangler brand predates Jeep’s name for the CJ replacement.

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

Or

I'm very surprised you found 35's that were lighter than stock. Wheels and tires are unsprung weight, so they are effectively 10x the weight off the vehicle...lighter is definitely better. You lose some mechanical advantage with the taller tire, but otherwise you would notice a performance and mpg increase, even if incremental.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I went with 35's Nitto.
I am getting 2 mpg less than stock...
You didn't specify which nitto's, but a 35x12.50r17 trail grappler weighs 80 lbs. You went with one of the heaviest tires on the market and are paying the price for it.

2500 hd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR.
You didn't specify which nitto's, but a 35x12.50r17 trail grappler weighs 80 lbs. You went with one of the heaviest tires on the market and are paying the price for it.
You are correct, that is the tire I went with...
I do like them though..

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Nittos and Toyos (same company) are incredibly heavy. Just about all are load range E as well.
Sponsored