Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
thanks for the pic. how is the driveline vibration with no caster correction?
Currently I have no front driveshaft installed for better gas mileage :idea: J/K!

I have an aftermarket one sitting here I will be using, just waiting on them to finish the Yoke for the differential side, I already have the transfer case side installed and really don't want to pull it back off unless I have an off road trip planned.

I would think without caster correction you would have less driveline vibes as the driveshaft angle is more in line with what it is from the factory. By adjusting the caster you are essentially bringing the pinion angle down creating more of an angle which could cause more "vibes"?? Just my theory.

That being said I've had a few 3.5-4" lifted JK's with all 8 adjustable control arms set to proper spec. and never had any drive line vibes with the factory driveshafts. The boots did end up tearing offroad, or melting on the exhaust due to the extended travel shocks but on road never had any issues.
Sponsored

Thedirtman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 wrangler 2007 wrangler 2007 wrangler unlimited 1957 willys wagon
Bigger is not better when it comes to lifts. The change in geometry will make the ride suffer and make driving on the road less safe. Big also means big $$ as you typically have to replace most things under your jeep in the suspension and steering. I see you are new and are talking 37" tires. Lots of stuff needed for 37's and a big lift, you should not go into it willy nilly as you are likely looking at dropping $10k before its all said and done. Wheels, gears, suspension, steering all add up to give you clearance and drivability. If you are in the Reno area and need some assistance I am generally around.

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR, White JLUR, Yellow JL (3 so far), Bikini Diesel JLU, Billet JT, Hydro Blue JT
If you're looking to put 37's on a sport with full factory fenders, a 3.5" lift with a 3" bumpstop is more than adequate. We will start shipping 3.5" systems at the end of the month but you can check them out on our website or pre-order either directly or through a retailer.
http://www.rockkrawler.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=2255

Adam C

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR, White JLUR, Yellow JL (3 so far), Bikini Diesel JLU, Billet JT, Hydro Blue JT
Do you have any recommended shocks for the JLU 3.5 Adventure Series 2 kit?
We will have our 2.25 shocks debuting in about 45 days for the JL. If you are looking to do something faster, Rad Flo is in production and has all of our specifications.

Adam C

Sponsored

Drooler

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon
Thanks to folks for starting and replying to this thread. Lots of great info

Any updates or feedback on taller lift kits would be appreciated....

1. What have you installed?
2. How it has held up to rock crawling?
3. Does it drive well on the highway?
4. What do you not like about your taller lift
5. Etc.

Some context below.

A. Current rig
Currently have a stick shift 2015 JKU Rubicon with 3.5” AEV lift kit and 35” and Adam’s drive shaft.

The steel Hard Rock full skid plate and winch probably took out some of the lift height.

Decided to save money on the other stuff so stuck with the cheap OEM plastic bumpers that have taken a beating. Point being with after market steel bumpers would probably take out some of the lift height as well.

Like the way my current rig rides both on the highway at speed and when rock climbing.

B. Rig looking to get
Hoping to get a 2021 JLU Rubicon (undecided between 3.0 turbo diesel that can be used for Section 168 deduction or the reliable 3.6 but in either case will be switching to automatic vs stick) with 37”.

Fingers crossed the newer and supposedly stronger/thicker Dana 44 and less on the skinny pedal means I don’t have to replace an axle anytime soon.

Will likely not regear as I assume it will be a huge improvement for me on a relative basis for me going from stick shift to the new 8 speed auto.

Given I want to hit Utah and Colorado once a year, I’ll want to get full skid plates again, but this time leaning towards aluminum. Reading the forums, am leaning towards the Rusty’s tail gate reinforcement to handle the 37” spare

FWIW. I saw this article that described the difference between the JLU Rubicon and the JKU Rubicon.

I definitely scrapped my belly over a number of places with my JKU and 3.5” lift. But maybe it is because I was “only” on 35”.

So hoping to get some feedback as a high quality lift kit is a significant money and time commitment. And something I don’t want to gut out to replace after a few years if I bought something that was either too tall. Or not tall enough.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.4w...ultimate-showdown-jeep-wrangler-jk-vs-jl/amp/

...That extra inch of lift might not sound like much, but we were surprised at the amount of difference it actually made on the trail. The belly heights of the JK and JL were closer than we thought (15.9 inches for the JL vs. 16.4 inches for the JK), but the JK had a full inch of extra clearance at the lowest point on the rockers. With the lower front bumper brackets on the JL, its nose is a full 4 inches lower than the JK. An inch here or there might not sound like much, but it does matter.

0A2614FC-50CC-4A91-9991-E01FEAC0DC28.jpeg

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
Drooler.

For big lifts, to the best of my knowledge, your options are EVO or Rebel Offroad coilover conversions.

Now based on what I read, if you get a 2021 rubicon and are looking at running 37’s, you won’t need a big lift. If you go with the 3.6L, a 3.5” lift will be fine for 37’s. And if you go with the 3.0L, a 2.5” lift will be fine. From what I’ve read, the diesels sit a little higher than the gas rigs. And the previous is based on the idea that you are not changing the fenders.

Now if you plan on changing your fenders, then that changes things a little. Depending on what fenders you want to run, and which rig you get, you might not need a lift with 37’s.

For example, I have a 2020 Rubicon Ecodiesel, with a stock suspension and fenders, and I’m running Toyo Open County MT 35’s with no flex issues. Now if I change my fenders and install modified inner fenders, with some slight trimming in the wheel well area, and different bump stops, I could run 37’s. I will be limiting my down travel, but I will have increased my ground clearance. A small trade off for a (LCG) low center of gravity. Yet it is possible to do 37’s with no lift. And if you do want to increase your belly height, a minimal lift will be fine.

On the other hand, and if I’m miss understanding your post, and you want to go really big, say 42’s or bigger, then you will want to look into a coilover conversion and an axle upgrade. Much like I am doing with my rig.

I hope this helps you figure out what you want to do.

Drooler

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon
Thanks a bunch. Ill research both your recommendations. Plus I’ll look more into the 3.5” lift kits.

Looking to invest in a super solid one. Aka buy once and cry once.

Plan is to go with 37” (as opposed to bigger) but stick with the current Dana 4 axles on the Rubicon. And add a lift to increase the belly height/reduce belly rubs.

On a separate but related note, I seriously considered a Gladiator Rubicon. Or Gladiator Sport S with the Max Tow Package that comes with Dana 44 front and rear. And modding it. My only issue is that the relatively long overhang is gonna make tough trails way more challenging.

Don’t think I wanna go back to Metal Masher or Cliffhanger in a Gladiator, but who know.

Regarding the lift kit, as much as I would like a low CG (as being off camber gives me the “pucker” feeling that I am not a fan off. That feeling is worse when super high up on a tall lift kit), I worry out the belly taking a beating.

Counter point being the skid plates should help and picking the right line equally if not more important.

Regarding gender, I would prefer to stay stock as I’m cheap. Jokes aside I like the look of the OEM fenders + one less thing to deal with.

My kids are very young and they do like to climb all over the Jeep. For this sole reason I considered I stalling sturdy steel or AL fenders the kids could stand on.

Good luck with your axle upgrade and 42” tires. Imma jealous.

Maybe in a few years I have a Ford F250 or some other big diesel truck. And be able to pull my off roading vehicle behind it.

In my dream, I will buy a Sport JLU that I will mod the heck out of it. Put a V8 in it, full roll cage, 5-point harness system, 42” and 1-ton axles.

Need Tesla share price to go up 10x... : )
Sponsored