Vehicle Showcase
2020 JLUR, 3.6 engine, 8 speed Automatic:

I just had a problem with my Jeep.
Directly above the fuel gage F, I got the yellow warning-
SERV
4WD
it also alternated between this warning and something like Sway
Bar!

I tried to connect the sway bar with the dash switch to see what that would do, but I got a warning that it couldn't do it.

I put the tranny into neutral and put transfer case into 4 low.
I couldn't connect the sway bars either.

I tried to then put the transfer case back into 2WD but it wouldn't budge out of 4 Low.

I turned off the engine and started engine again and the lights weren't displaying any more, and I was able to put the transfer case in to 2WD.

What could have caused this?
Is the Jeep safe & dependable to drive?

One other problem, maybe related.
A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the Damn ESS wasn't working which is fine with me. I hated that ESS, but I was concerned that it could be indicative of a possible electrical problem starting. Don't know if this is in any way associated with the new issue.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Sponsored

SparkleTooth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stellantis SUCKS
Welcome to the wacky world of Jeep electronics and sensors. I think we should all start a daily "Sensor Bingo" challenge.

But seriously I doubt your swaybar was even disconnected in the first place. These sensors and or electrical anomalies that control them have a mind of their own. Read through the threads and you will have a 101 solutions to all these issues. It can be quite maddening.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
My 2 immediate suspects for you are wheel speed sensors and ESS battery. Since your start/stop threw errors I’d get both batteries tested. If either is bad, replace both.
Otherwise the dealer should be able to check for codes. A wheel speed sensor will disable lockers, sway bar, and give you the service 4wd light all as sympathetic errors. Sometimes 1, sometimes some, and sometimes all.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the Damn ESS wasn't working which is fine with me. I hated that ESS, but I was concerned that it could be indicative of a possible electrical problem starting. Don't know if this is in any way associated with the new issue.
ESS not working due to "Battery Charging" is a canary in the coal mine for battery issues. This may be the root cause of your issue.

I suspect the following happened:
Main, Aux or both batteries are failing to provide an adequate charge.
ESS detects the poor charge and stops working.
Eventually a low voltage situation caused an error reading a wheel speed sensor.
Jeep freaks out and displays all sorts of warnings.

Test Main and Aux batteries individually, not while they're linked. If either are bad, replace both and see if all the other problems go away. If you only replace one battery the older battery will reduce the new battery's lifespan. You'll go through less batteries if you always replace both at the same time.

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
Jeep is hypoer sensitive to voltage, so I would replace the aux and main battery if it's been more than a few years, try again. At least at around $400, it's a cheap first fix, even if it isnt the fix, you need it.

OP
OP

WrangleDangle

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate all your help with my problem. I will be replacing both batteries. Any specific battery suggestions? I never had to deal with the Small battery that is used for ESS so I don't know if the dealer is the best place to get that installed. I do want a better Large battery and in my last Jeep I had the Optima Red Top and am very happy with those batteries. My JLUR will probably be getting a winch soon, so I am wondering if the Optima Yellow Top battery would be the way to go. Appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks-
Sponsored