Sponsored

Big or Tall JL seat bracket needed

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
The front mounts do not seem to be affected, the rail angle didn’t change significantly. Yes where the bolt hole is it is probably slightly bent but I cannot see it if it’s there. Yes I know this isn’t something many people will be comfortable doing but for me it was make the change or not own a JL. There isn’t any extra movement in the seat and I used all grade 8 bolts. The seat belt is separate so I feel comfortable not getting launched if in an accident and for some reason the seat broke. A fab shop could make new seat rails that would look more professional but if not tested the same safety questions will remain.
Great info...this exactly what I've been looking for. How hard is it to hammer the body lower to make room for it? A longer seat rail would be stronger and look better...someone needs to fabricate them and sell them on here...I would absolutely buy one. I tried having padding taken out of the seat to drop it...but added it back a few months later after I started feeling the seat supports.
Sponsored

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
I ended up going a different route since I didn't want to modify the rail (nothing against it, just my preference).

-Hammered down about 1" the two rear attachment mounts for the rails with a sledge hammer.
-Grinded down the seat height sprocket to allow the bottom cushion to rest on the seat frame rather than suspended above it by about 1.5".
-Removed two bolts on the back of the "thigh support frame" to allow it to tilt back more and let my fat ass sink into the sit a little bit more.
-Hammered down the xmsn bump but not much (I did feel the seat rail push against it when I torqued down the rail bolts and the seat doesn't slide forward as easy, so I might have to hammer it down a bit more but for now it's doesn't bother me).

I can now move my seat all the way back without having to do the gangster lean to clear the bar and my head no longer touches the sport bar when I sit straight, I'm pretty satisfied with the results. You probably gain more clearance by cutting the seat rails but in my case (6'4") my ghetto fix made a big difference.

View attachment 360799
View attachment 360801 View attachment 360802
Hello!

By removing the stop on the seat lowering sprocket do you have a problem with it running off of the gear when lowered all the way? If I could get just a 1 1/2 I think I would be all set.

THANKS!

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
It would make it stronger but I have not had issues. I didn’t make it longer due to needing to get a nut on the bolt. With better tools this set up could be better, but this works. Consider it a prototype.
Would you consider making a prototype of longer box tubing? I would pay to try this out. I really want to lower the rear of the driver seat. :beer:

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would you consider making a prototype of longer box tubing? I would pay to try this out. I really want to lower the rear of the driver seat. :beer:
Did you happen to notice post #137? This sounds like a modification that does what you are looking for that can be reversed....

" -Removed two bolts on the back of the "thigh support frame" to allow it to tilt back more and let my fat ass sink into the sit a little bit more. "

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Did you happen to notice post #137? This sounds like a modification that does what you are looking for that can be reversed....

" -Removed two bolts on the back of the "thigh support frame" to allow it to tilt back more and let my fat ass sink into the sit a little bit more. "
No thanks...He did alot more than just removing 2 bolts. I'll pass on sledge hammering several places. I would rather have longer box tubing and not risk compromising the strength with a sledge hammer.

"Hammered down about 1" the two rear attachment mounts for the rails with a sledge hammer.
-Grinded down the seat height sprocket to allow the bottom cushion to rest on the seat frame rather than suspended above it by about 1.5".
-Removed two bolts on the back of the "thigh support frame" to allow it to tilt back more and let my fat ass sink into the sit a little bit more.
-Hammered down the xmsn bump but not much (I did feel the seat rail push against it when I torqued down the rail bolts and the seat doesn't slide forward as easy, so I might have to hammer it down a bit more but for now it's doesn't bother me).

I can now move my seat all the way back without having to do the gangster lean to clear the bar and my head no longer touches the sport bar when I sit straight, I'm pretty satisfied with the results. You probably gain more clearance by cutting the seat rails but in my case (6'4") my ghetto fix made a big difference."

Sponsored

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No thanks...He did alot more than just removing 2 bolts. I'll pass on sledge hammering several places. I would rather have longer box tubing and not risk compromising the strength with a sledge hammer.

"Hammered down about 1" the two rear attachment mounts for the rails with a sledge hammer.

I can now move my seat all the way back without having to do the gangster lean to clear the bar and my head no longer touches the sport bar when I sit straight, I'm pretty satisfied with the results. You probably gain more clearance by cutting the seat rails but in my case (6'4") my ghetto fix made a big difference."
The rest of what he did was for more head room. Removing the 2 bolts was to make the seat bottom of the seat go lower on the back half.....

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you removed the 2 bolts on your seat?
No. no need on my current JK. New JL will have to make some mod to fit better....

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow. Really? You posted a problem and I wanted to make sure you saw a potential solution that I read about and send inquiries to the person who made the original modifications about this very topic. I was not going to order the reduced headroom JL until I knew there was a solution. Trying to help YOU, I posted what I discovered.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Wow. Really? You posted a problem and I wanted to make sure you saw a potential solution that I read about and send inquiries to the person who made the original modifications about this very topic. I was not going to order the reduced headroom JL until I knew there was a solution. Trying to help YOU, I posted what I discovered.
Classy...Nice job editing your post. My original reply wasnt to you. If you are going to provide unsolicited advice, it would help your credibility if you performed the mod before recommending it.

Last edited:

chopy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
This is amazing. I would love to try that but i first need to buy spare brackets if i do not succeed.

Anyone knows how i can find mopar number of the seat brackets so i can order them?

Is it possible to find them anywhere?

LDJD79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I cut the rear brackets off the front drivers seat. Gained almost 2” of head room. It also slanted the seat bottom slightly making it much more comfortable. Was simple and has made the Jeep usable and safe. It will void the seat warranty. Not a big deal as if I hadn’t done it I wouldn’t own it anyway.

13925450-DFDC-435B-A919-675B7CA4DBCF.jpeg

079E280B-6945-400E-B910-EAFBFD7B7685.jpeg

4730507E-BCAC-4D8E-BEB2-2C92AA2828E2.jpeg
Thanks for this. I did this to my 2018 JLUR today. It was fairly simple and took me about 3 hours all together. I used a longer piece of 1-1/4” square tubing instead of the of the flat bar and square tubing. I was even able to reuse the factory bolts by drilling an oversized hole on top of the tubing and dropping the bolt through. I can give exact measurements and pics if anyone needs them.

I’m 6’5” and it made a world of difference. I gained at least 2” of head room and 1” of knee room because of the way the seat now sits down further in the back.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
The seat has to lower an additional two inches below it's current low setting. That would allow my head to clear the sports bar and assist in a better view below the rear view mirror. In my JK I usually repurpose the info screen as a digital speedometer because the analog speedometer is hard to see.
The new JL has cramped knee room compared to the the JK. Being able to slide the seat back two additional inches would be appreciated. I am a skinny tall guy.
A lot of heavy tall guys need more room between the steering wheel and the seat. They say there is much less room from seat back to steering wheel.
I don’t think you can get a full two inches, because the tunnel intrudes so much on the inboard side of the driver’s seat. I guess FCA doesn’t car much about taller drivers.

I’m only 6’3. My head clears the sound bar with almost an inch to spare, but my brother is 6’5” and long-waisted, so his torso is over 2” longer than mine. He couldn’t drive the wrangler and wasn’t going to buy one until he found a guy who could modify his seats. They were able to drop his seat more than n inch and a half. It made the difference.

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for this. I did this to my 2018 JLUR today. It was fairly simple and took me about 3 hours all together. I used a longer piece of 1-1/4” square tubing instead of the of the flat bar and square tubing. I was even able to reuse the factory bolts by drilling an oversized hole on top of the tubing and dropping the bolt through. I can give exact measurements and pics if anyone needs them.

I’m 6’5” and it made a world of difference. I gained at least 2” of head room and 1” of knee room because of the way the seat now sits down further in the back.
I would LOVE to see pics and your measurements for sure! I would REALLY appreciate it! THANKS!
Sponsored