Sponsored

Big or Tall JL seat bracket needed

iwishiwereadinosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Liberty
Buy some XPE foam and wrap your headrest. I'm 6'6" and I just made the headrest a little thicker. Now I have an extra 3/4" inch of padding and I can slam my head back all day and not hit the roll bar.

It's insane that Jeep manufactured this. I could be like 3 inches shorter and probably still hit the roll bar and my seat isn't even all the way back. It's a Wrangler not a Porche. Why does it need to fit like a sports car?
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Does anyone know who designs seat brackets for the JK or even who designed the JL’s? I doubt Jeep designed the brackets and if there is a company we could reach out to and work with for a solution that might be our best option. I would pay a bit of money to have this done.
I took my JL to a fab shop that makes components for auto seats and they looked at it. Claimed there wasn't any room to lower the seat. Today, I called Mastercraft Safety who makes the Baja RS seat for the JK which supposedly sits a little lower. They don't have anything for the JL yet and dont anything in the works for it as of now.

F800

First Name
'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
This question is for anybody who has purchased the seat extenders for a few more inches of leg room - are any of you touching the roll bar?

I really need like 2 inches of leg room but my head is about an inch higher than the roll bar and if I were to move the seat back im worried that my head would just be right underneath it and therefore totally useless.

I've attached some thick yoga mat foam on the bottom part of the dash area beside the driveshaft so my right knee doesn't hurt after 20 min of resting against it. Also attached some foam to the roll bar so when i bump my head its way softer.

Thanks for any help

Eric03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon U
I’m following for any future development. I love my JLUR, but my only complaint is how small it is inside for me. I’m 6’5 and 290. The added leg room would be nice, but the added head room would be even nicer.

Sponsored

x2p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I'm following for future development as well. I've wanted a JLUR since they came out and have been waiting for a solution before purchasing one. I've rented them for about half a year's worth of days in that time haha.

6'3 but with a 39" torso. My head sits half an inch in front of the sport bar if I slouch... very terrified of what would happen in an accident.

jlrusoin

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
I cut the rear brackets off the front drivers seat. Gained almost 2” of head room. It also slanted the seat bottom slightly making it much more comfortable. Was simple and has made the Jeep usable and safe. It will void the seat warranty. Not a big deal as if I hadn’t done it I wouldn’t own it anyway.

13925450-DFDC-435B-A919-675B7CA4DBCF.jpeg

079E280B-6945-400E-B910-EAFBFD7B7685.jpeg

4730507E-BCAC-4D8E-BEB2-2C92AA2828E2.jpeg

F800

First Name
'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
I cut the rear brackets off the front drivers seat. Gained almost 2” of head room. It also slanted the seat bottom slightly making it much more comfortable. Was simple and has made the Jeep usable and safe. It will void the seat warranty. Not a big deal as if I hadn’t done it I wouldn’t own it anyway.

Jeep Wrangler JL Big or Tall JL seat bracket needed 4730507E-BCAC-4D8E-BEB2-2C92AA2828E2

Jeep Wrangler JL Big or Tall JL seat bracket needed 4730507E-BCAC-4D8E-BEB2-2C92AA2828E2

I am a non mechanical guy but I can follow mechanical instructions well. I can't seem to find any shop that is willing to undertake anything like this. Could you give me (us?) detailed instructions on where you cut with measurements if possible?

Did you have a spare or backup seat bracket in case you messed it up? Or did you just know it would work?

After cutting the rear of the bracket off, did you have to drill new hole for the bolts? anything else?

I need this so badly.

Thank you!!!!!!

jlrusoin

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
I am a non mechanical guy but I can follow mechanical instructions well. I can't seem to find any shop that is willing to undertake anything like this. Could you give me (us?) detailed instructions on where you cut with measurements if possible?

Did you have a spare or backup seat bracket in case you messed it up? Or did you just know it would work?

After cutting the rear of the bracket off, did you have to drill new hole for the bolts? anything else?

I need this so badly.

Thank you!!!!!!
[/QUOTE

I’ll try to describe the process. You are correct since it is modifying the seat it will be tough to find a shop willing to do the work. It’s simple so anyone can do it if they are willing to cut up a nice seat. Someone with fabrication skills could make it look better. This modification has been in place since the Jeep was new so about 1-1/2 years with zero issues and many hard miles.

The first cut will be tough. Had step by step photos but lost my phone, damn. Hope the below helps.

After removing the seat I used an angle grinder with cut off wheel to cut the rear supports off the seat frame rails. Then used a flapper sanding wheel to make everything as smooth as possible. The photo with the yellow line (found photo on google so it is not exactly a JL seat rail but is close).

After the brackets were cut off the seat rails were extended with 1-1/2” x 1/4” flat steel 6” long. The steel was bolted in place by drilling 2 holes in each seat rail.

There is a stud for a grounding wire next to the center counsel which will need to be relocated. The transmission body bump will also need to be hammered down a little to clear the now lower seat rail.

I used 1” box tubing for rear seat rail spacers. This is needed due to the transmission frame bump. Might be able to eliminate these and lower the seat more if you are willing to hammer the transmission body bump lower. The seat rear mounting body bolt holes/nuts were reused. Longer rear seat mount bolts are needed. Think they were 1-1/4” long then the factory bolts. I used all grade 8 bolts for safety.

Hope this and the photos help. Good luck.
D088D2E8-3092-4B79-8979-87D2C39B7347.jpeg

F2F280C3-408A-44E0-A46D-19F812F9DA1E.jpeg

E1A56717-A03F-4C93-9D53-1FD29D110E1C.jpeg

674BE73E-04EE-46E9-9665-88C6FBE0364C.jpeg

37FC7A42-15D1-41D2-98EB-28E770ECF327.jpeg

jlrusoin

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
What are your thoughts on making the box tubing longer so it attaches to the rail directly under the steel spacer to make it more sturdy? Looks sturdy enough as is but just to be extra safe.
It would make it stronger but I have not had issues. I didn’t make it longer due to needing to get a nut on the bolt. With better tools this set up could be better, but this works. Consider it a prototype.

Sponsored

Smooth9883

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLRU & 2018 WK2 Trailhawk
This seems awesome and really simple!

The only thing I’m wondering about, are you worried about the structural integrity of the seat now? What happened with the front mounts? Did they end up bending as the seat tilted back? If so, is this bend okay? I know for day to day use it will be fine, but getting a car accident the forces are such we couldn’t test for them.

I’m curious if a mftg. Will see this and create a simple bracket.

jlrusoin

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
This seems awesome and really simple!

The only thing I’m wondering about, are you worried about the structural integrity of the seat now? What happened with the front mounts? Did they end up bending as the seat tilted back? If so, is this bend okay? I know for day to day use it will be fine, but getting a car accident the forces are such we couldn’t test for them.

I’m curious if a mftg. Will see this and create a simple bracket.
The front mounts do not seem to be affected, the rail angle didn’t change significantly. Yes where the bolt hole is it is probably slightly bent but I cannot see it if it’s there. Yes I know this isn’t something many people will be comfortable doing but for me it was make the change or not own a JL. There isn’t any extra movement in the seat and I used all grade 8 bolts. The seat belt is separate so I feel comfortable not getting launched if in an accident and for some reason the seat broke. A fab shop could make new seat rails that would look more professional but if not tested the same safety questions will remain.

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The front mounts do not seem to be affected, the rail angle didn’t change significantly. Yes where the bolt hole is it is probably slightly bent but I cannot see it if it’s there. Yes I know this isn’t something many people will be comfortable doing but for me it was make the change or not own a JL. There isn’t any extra movement in the seat and I used all grade 8 bolts. The seat belt is separate so I feel comfortable not getting launched if in an accident and for some reason the seat broke. A fab shop could make new seat rails that would look more professional but if not tested the same safety questions will remain.

How does the seat feel when driving now compared to before? I'd imagine more like a bucket seat since your butt would be lower than your thighs. I wonder how much a new seat bracket is in case I want to go back to stock..hmm

F800

First Name
'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU

Man, thank you so much for all of this great information. I do appreciate it.

Cheers

jlrusoin

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
How does the seat feel when driving now compared to before? I'd imagine more like a bucket seat since your butt would be lower than your thighs. I wonder how much a new seat bracket is in case I want to go back to stock..hmm
The seat feels a lot better. It does feel a little more like a bucket seat. Being tall all my seats bottoms are leaded back so it feels natural.
Sponsored