Sponsored

Big driving improvement after LCA swap

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Will these make a diffrence on my sport stock set up?
If you don plan to lift you shouldn't need them, your caster should already be around 5.5. If you had a Rubicon your caster would be about 1.5 degrees lower.

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
If you don plan to lift you shouldn't need them, your caster should already be around 5.5. If you had a Rubicon your caster would be about 1.5 degrees lower.
appreciate you buddy! I do get my sterring box replaced next week so im excited to see if the steering will be better. I'm riding on rubicon 33s right now and highway speeds after driving for a while its constant corrections, wandering and noticeable excessive and loose play but not too crazy play. Its enough to make it a little unerving to drive on the highway, psi is lowered on the tires already too to help.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
appreciate you buddy! I do get my sterring box replaced next week so im excited to see if the steering will be better. I'm riding on rubicon 33s right now and highway speeds after driving for a while its constant corrections, wandering and noticeable excessive and loose play but not too crazy play. Its enough to make it a little unerving to drive on the highway, psi is lowered on the tires already too to help.
You could always have an alignment check to verify your caster (and other associated alignment settings). I'd wait until you get the new steering box and see if you still have issues though. Sometimes they will do an alignment after they change the box so you might ask if that's been done. Let them know you'd like to know what the current caster measurement is.

They may want to charge you extra for the alignment though, so verify that beforehand.

And if you do end up lifting it 1.5 to 2" in the future then those longer LCAs should be on your list :)

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Will these make a diffrence on my sport stock set up?
Download a free angle finder from the app store and check your caster. Search on this forum and you'll find instructions on how/where to measure - it's a no-fuss, 60 second job. If you are close to 6Ā°, you'll be fine as it is.

Sponsored

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)
Yesterday I installed the longer lower control arms. What a big (better) difference it made in driving. But it also made a big difference in my caster. My before caster was L/5.3 - R/5.2, my post caster is L/6.3 - R/6.4. The correct range for caster is 4.0 - 5.8. Any ideas on how this will effect the rest of the front end components over time. I am also concerned about the front drive shaft angle when I engage 4-wheel drive.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Yesterday I installed the longer lower control arms. What a big (better) difference it made in driving. But it also made a big difference in my caster. My before caster was L/5.3 - R/5.2, my post caster is L/6.3 - R/6.4. The correct range for caster is 4.0 - 5.8. Any ideas on how this will effect the rest of the front end components over time. I am also concerned about the front drive shaft angle when I engage 4-wheel drive.
All I can attest to is 18000 of my 26000 miles has been great with the Mopar LCAā€™s. The ~1* gain is typical. Some JL owners want upwards of 7. I guess thereā€™s no issues as I havenā€™t read even one in the 15 months Iā€™ve been on here for whatever thatā€™s worth. (Not much) lol

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've always heard that 7Ā° is the point where things may be overdone. I'm in the mid-6s and happy as a clam.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Here's the caster specs,
Total Toe** | Caster | Cross Caster* | Camber - Left | Camber - Right | Cross Camber*
Sport | 0.20Ā° +/- 0.20Ā° | 5.35Ā° +/- 1.00Ā° | 0.00Ā° +/- 0.50Ā° | -0.25Ā° +/- 0.50Ā° | -0.25Ā° +/- 0.50Ā° | 0.00Ā° +/- 0.50Ā°
Sahara | 0.20Ā° +/- 0.20Ā° | 5.05Ā° +/- 1.00Ā° | 0.00Ā° +/- 0.50Ā° | -0.25Ā° +/- 0.50Ā° | -0.25Ā° +/- 0.50Ā° | 0.00Ā° +/- 0.50Ā°
Rubicon and 3.0L Diesel Sport / Sahara | 0.20Ā° +/- 0.20Ā° | 4.80Ā° +/- 1.00Ā° | 0.00Ā° +/- 0.50Ā° | -0.25Ā° +/- 0.50Ā° | -0.25Ā° +/- 0.50Ā° | 0.00Ā° +/- 0.50Ā°
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...heel-alignment-specs-toe-caster-camber.17832/

If you notice the highest "range" is for the Sport~4.35 to 6.35
and the lowest is the Rubicon & the Diesel Sport/Saharas~3.80 to 5.80

Since all these use the same LCAs it's just a wide swath of acceptable caster from 3.80 to 6.35 so FCA can say just about any caster is "acceptable" rather than using different LCAs for different coil springs/lift.
Your current caster is great, enjoy the drive :)

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I read about this last year and forgot about them. This is my next project now, thanks for bringing this back.

Sponsored

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)
@DadJokes
@rickinAZ
@blnewt

Thanks for the feedback. I have been apprehensive about doing this but felt the steering needed an additional boost in performance.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For those of you who don't no how to make a "degrees" symbol with your keyboard: With Num Lock on and while holding down Alt, type 0176 - voila.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
For those of you who don't no how to make a "degrees" symbol with your keyboard: With Num Lock on and while holding down Alt, type 0176 - voila.
Thanks for this, although I'm not sure I'll ever remember 0176.

I always copy/paste from here https://www.degreesymbol.net/

Air Uncle P

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU Bright White
On a Mac.... Hold down "option" key and hit zero key

On an iPad.... Long press the zero key and select degrees symbol

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
On a mobile device, just hold down 0 to get Ā° symbol FYI. Anybody have experience with rough country adjustable LCAā€™s? With our 2.5ā€ budget boost on the jlur, Iā€™m not sure the fixed length mopars will be long enough. I also donā€™t see spending $350-450 for most other adjustable arms on the market. I know rough country doesnā€™t have the greatest QC, but the arms are pretty simple. Can we get away with straight LCAā€™s or will rubbing be too much of an issue? I have some old long arms in the garage that I could cut down if straight arms work?
Sponsored