Status
Not open for further replies.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
This entire thread is in poor taste.

Chalk it up to cultural differences, and leave it at that. Do we want to talk about other demographics who like skinny tires on deep dish rims?

Specific to Asian folks not waving back:

I was a foreign exchange student who ended up studying in Japan.

One cultural nuance - The Japanese do not believe in maintaining eye contact. Looking at someone for more than a few seconds can be considered rude, possibly hostile.

In contrast, we Americans maintain eye contact to establish trust and confidence. ā€œLook at me when Iā€™m speaking to you!ā€ How many times have we heard our parents and teachers say that? ā€œLook me in the eye.ā€ Does that sound familiar?

Itā€™s fascinating that something as fundamental as body language can be so different across cultures.

So, itā€™s not hard to imagine Koreans not waving to folks they donā€™t know. I know for a fact that certain Inuits will refuse to greet strangers, as they consider that a bad omen.

Granted, this was many many moons ago, and weā€™re in a globalized society. But this ā€œyouā€™re in America now, be Americanā€ mindset really needs to go.
It's not in poor taste to discuss cultural difference to foster understanding.
You're absolutely correct about the other cultures. But I don't understand what's so wrong about "You're in America now, be American".

Are you saying I should go to Japan and look everyone squarely in the eye?
Should I go to Korea and wave at everyone?
Should I seek out and greet every Inuit I can find?

No, that's rude there. That should not be done. The local culture should be respected. So what's wrong about asking for the exact same thing in return? Yes, America benefits from the influence of other cultures but why should American culture completely buckle to every other culture within America? America is allowed to have it's own culture.
Sponsored

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
In his defense I have seen @KenPewPew post here often before. I dont think he is a racist or a bigot. Yes the choice of words could have been better but I do not think he has any ill will towards anyone. He is a good fella overall.
So he's just an idiot then.

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
1st generation American, born in Manhattan, raised in N. Jersey, paid the toll then escaped.
Don't expect Jeep culture to override NYC culture. They are diametrically opposed and in NYC, NYC culture will win.

1) DWA (Driving While Asian) is a thing. Sorry Asians, but it's true. It's not because they're idiots, it's cultural. The Asian cultural pressure to be polite, passive, and not stand out translates to indecisiveness while driving. Especially so with women who are more culturally pressured to be that way. As most of us know, indecisive driving is worse than decisive bad driving and that's where DWA comes from. Which I find ironic, the culture that came up with the concept of Zen is decidedly not Zen during the one activity that most Americans are in their most Zen-like frame of mind. So i wouldn't think twice about not getting a wave from the typical Ft Lee Asian woman. Wave while driving? Oh no, that's cray-cray and is behavior that will make me stand out! (but apparently nails are an exception to that?)

2) Welcome to the world of the Mall Crawler. They're everywhere.

3) In NYC you get a Gladiator to be large and obnoxious. That's not the wavey kind of person and can be considered more Truck culture.

4) The hat is an interesting indicator. I can see that working in the NYC area.

5) Give the immigrants some slack. They're still trying to figure out American culture, Jeep culture can be too big an ask. But wave anyway, they'll get it eventually.

6) The highly (and tacky) modded Jeeps aren't Jeep culture. It's a sub-culture. Kind of like a hip-hop adaptation of Jeep culture. The same way they adopted Timberland boots, never took them off pavement, and demanded that Timberland expand their color choices beyond light brown (which Timberland wisely did much to their financial gain). On the bright side, they think Jeeps look cool and they urbanized them so they can be a part of it too. But they only adopted the Jeep image, they retain their own culture. So waves won't happen, don't bother.

7) Angry eyes are a good indicator of "No waves, please".

That said, NYC is a great world class city. If you think New Yorkers are rude, they're not. You don't understand the culture and in NYC, you are the rude one. The #1 most misunderstood thing about NYC culture? The rudest thing you can do in NYC is waste someone's time. Calling someone's mother a whore isn't good, but wasting someone's time, delaying them, or making them wait is far more offensive. For example, if someone is walking down the street and you make them stop and wait for more than 3 seconds, you owe them a direct (and brief) apology as you quickly get out of their way. ...'effin tourists.
There are more generalities in this mess than are worth even going through.....

Sponsored

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
You're absolutely correct about the other cultures. But I don't understand what's so wrong about "You're in America now, be American".

No, that's rude there. That should not be done. The local culture should be respected. So what's wrong about asking for the exact same thing in return? Yes, America benefits from the influence of other cultures but why should American culture completely buckle to every other culture within America? America is allowed to have it's own culture.
No. You misunderstood me. In simple terms: if someone doesnā€™t wave at you, shrug it off.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Wrangler392; ā€˜20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
OP didnā€™t even mention poor driving. Just Korean girls not waving at him. I know stereotypes are quick and easy but šŸ™„

Your reasoning is flawed because America is by nature a melting pot of various cultures. Every wave of immigrants brought with them customs and traditions that were assimilated in various degrees to the national zeitgeist. Itā€™s imperfect but itā€™s essential to who we are and IMO is what makes us a unique country.

ā€œYouā€™re in America so be Americanā€ is literally what you should try to do.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
NYC is one large collection of a-holes.

Oops, was that my inner voice, again...?
We're not all that bad. And your post is a shame, because I really value the opinions you post up on this site and the help you've provided me as I learned more about the JL builds. I assumed you'd be above the non-Jeep-related mudslinging. I was wrong.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I lived in Queens for awhile. People who haven't lived in NYC just don't understand it, and that's fine. But they should at least be willing to acknowledge their ignorance before they pan it. I've never lived in Oklahoma, and I'm not gonna go ahead and say all the people who live there are <insert whatever stereotype>.

People just need to use their brains and own up to the stuff they don't know first-hand.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Not waving back to you is not about them being rude, itā€™s about them seeing you as a rube.
Being perceived as a rube is not complimentary. Manifesting this attitude by refusing to return a friendly wave is in fact an exemplar of discourtesy.

Sponsored

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
OP didnā€™t even mention poor driving. Just Korean girls not waving at him. I know stereotypes are quick and easy but šŸ™„

Your reasoning is flawed because America is by nature a melting pot of various cultures. Every wave of immigrants brought with them customs and traditions that were assimilated in various degrees to the national zeitgeist. Itā€™s imperfect but itā€™s essential to who we are and IMO is what makes us a unique country.

ā€œYouā€™re in America so be Americanā€ is literally what you should try to do.
I think OP has been given enough grief for this thread now. Doubt he will reply to anyone here.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
We're not all that bad. And your post is a shame, because I really value the opinions you post up on this site and the help you've provided me as I learned more about the JL builds. I assumed you'd be above the non-Jeep-related mudslinging. I was wrong.
Sorry if I offended you.

My first ever contact with United States was through NYC when I was 7 years old. We were shocked how RUDE ā€œAmericansā€ were. Later we discovered NYC was not representative of America; it was just a crusty appendage. Unfortunately, to this day thatā€™s the first impression of ā€œAmericaā€ many people get.

Over the years I have met many New Yorkers outside of NYC; they were genuinely lovely people. But whenever Iā€˜ve been back to NYC, always on business, it was still the same unpleasant place I remember from five decades ago.

I realize New Yorkers take their crustiness with pride. But Iā€™ve lived in Los Angeles, Seattle, Cincinnati, and visited 40 states in the Union. To this day I rather be anywhere than NYC.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Sorry if I offended you.

My first ever contact with United States was through NYC when I was 7 years old. We were shocked how RUDE ā€œAmericansā€ were. Later we discovered NYC was not representative of America; it was just a crusty appendage. Unfortunately, to this day thatā€™s the first impression of ā€œAmericaā€ many people get.

Over the years I have met many New Yorkers outside of NYC; they were genuinely lovely people. But whenever Iā€˜ve been back to NYC, always on business, it was still the same unpleasant place I remember from five decades ago.

I realize New Yorkers take their crustiness with pride. But Iā€™ve lived in Los Angeles, Seattle, Cincinnati, and visited 40 states in the Union. To this day I rather be anywhere than NYC.
No harm done. I have thicker skin than my post implied. We also have similar experiences, in that we've lived everywhere in this country. Doing so has made me very tolerant of people's differences in politics, religion, etc. I think everyone could benefit by taking a month or two off, driving every corner of this country, and seeing things from a local resident's perspective. I choose stay the the Greater NYC area because I've grown to like it (not my favorite place, but certainly a very good one) and because I'd be a fool to walk away from my career here. I appreciate that its not for everybody - it's hard to succeed here, and I've seen many people fail.

Back to the crux of my prior post: I really do appreciate your opinions. You are willing to take a different path, and show readers that you can buy/build a very capable ride without having to buy a jacked up Rubi, 37 inch mudders, 8 shackles and a stinger. I've read you for some time, and truly appreciate your contributions. We're good.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
No harm done. I have thicker skin than my post implied. We also have similar experiences, in that we've lived everywhere in this country. Doing so has made me very tolerant of people's differences in politics, religion, etc. I think everyone could benefit by taking a month or two off, driving every corner of this country, and seeing things from a local resident's perspective. I choose stay the the Greater NYC area because I've grown to like it (not my favorite place, but certainly a very good one) and because I'd be a fool to walk away from my career here. I appreciate that its not for everybody - it's hard to succeed here, and I've seen many people fail.

Back to the crux of my prior post: I really do appreciate your opinions. You are willing to take a different path, and show readers that you can buy/build a very capable ride without having to buy a jacked up Rubi, 37 inch mudders, 8 shackles and a stinger. I've read you for some time, and truly appreciate your contributions. We're good.
Los Angeles is similar in that not everyone who moves there makes it.

California was good to me. Yes, it is expensive to live there, but it is also a great place to live. As the saying goes: you gotta pay to play.

Having said that, Iā€™ve come across people in California who were bitter about regulations, taxes, the cost of living, etc. What I never understood was: if you hate it so much, why stay...? Lifeā€™s too short!

This new Work From Home deal is going to usher a lot of people to move to better/cheaper/quieter places to start a family and raise their kids. Iā€™m already seeing headlines that midsize cities are seeing a boom. It will prove a positive side-effect of this pandemic.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I think everyone could benefit by taking a month or two off, driving every corner of this country, and seeing things from a local resident's perspective.
Well said.

I just spent a long weekend camping in VA, and touring several Civil War battlefields. Despite being just two states below me, Old Dominion and its residents have an identity that stands in marked (but not negative) contrast to the Pennsylvania Dutch locales in which I grew up and returned to live out my life in, after getting my own world travels on the books.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, so sayeth Samuel Clemens. This isn't, however, at odds with determining that what works for others may not work for me, and vice versa.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.