First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
I'm a fat asian immigrant and I wave, am I doing something wrong?
Hey high five I am a fat asian immigrant too and I wave! Wanna get together for some good dim sum?? :giggle:

Here is something to whet your appetite!
Jeep Wrangler JL Big cities (NYC) Jeep Culture and some ugly mods 1623342931729
Sponsored

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
There was a period in my life when work took me to many countries and I can say this for a fact:

NYC is the only world class city in the USA.

As for the Jeep wave, fuhgettaboutit. Not waving back to you is not about them being rude, it’s about them seeing you as a rube. Even my parents (who are in their 80’s and still living in NYC) make fun of me for living in “redneck” San Francisco Bay Area.
With most respect!

NYC is the only world class city in the USA.
Are you high?? No no I am not talking about legalization of weed in NJ. But seriously are you high?? NYC under De Blasio and all the wokeness has turn this city into a piece of trash! I am not being political - but the NYC that I know 12 years ago are totally different from the New York City today! And that is not a good thing.

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
Long Islander here and an Immigrant (a non practicing Indian Sikh) and I wave. Guess my fellow Asian Jeepers do things differently on the Jersey side because I see other Asian Jeepers wave aplenty on Long Island.

I was grabbing dinner at Yakitori 39 in Teaneck with my Japanese coworkers last Saturday and it was hard finding a Jeep the whole night in the area. Only saw one or two at Pier 51 in Edgewater but those too were NY plates.
Okay there are jeep a plenty here in Edgewater - but they usually don't go to Pier 51 cause only NYC and yuppies people go there to see the water from NJ side and drink crafted beer. I should know, I live only like 1/4 miles from there.

As for Yakitori 39 - you are in an area of Teaneck where there are not that many Jeep. I think that you are one of the very few South Asian that actually drives a Jeep. And I see that you got a Rubicon Pentastar!! Use it in good health. I still love my Turbo 2.0

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
I assume you're native American then?
Worst - I am all mixed into one - like chop suey!!

And when I said I know it sounds bad - I was referring to the fact that I might be saying something negative (anytime you talk about immigrants - there is this tendency to feel a bit guilty even though I am an immigrant myself) - I was referring to myself that I might be "bad" for touching that issue - not necessarily that immigrants are bad. You can blame my Engrish - which is my fourth language btw. One can only try as best as they can!
Agreed.... surprised he didn't say "Black people don't wave because they are too busy repositioning their huge c@#$s.

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
Agreed.... surprised he didn't say "Black people don't wave because they are too busy repositioning their huge c@#$s.
Simple answer here.... Its the Subway mentality "You don't talk to/wave to anyone on the subway, as they might be crazy, and doing so could get you into all sorts of trouble, or killed". That's why most people don't wave. I for one wouldn't wave to anyone in NYC unless they wave to me first, and even then if it was some sort of crazy wave I still wouldn't wave back.
If this isn't a troll he's an idiot.
growing up in city, it is more of a city mentality, avoid eye contact, say fewer words, avoid being overly friendly, dont hang around too long (and get mugged). you say hello to your neighbor more than once or twice a year, next thing they are asking you for sugar, always in rush. driving for mundane things like grocery shopping in cities is hectic. roads are congested, people are tired. i lived in brooklyn rough housing (crackheads, drug dealers, prostitutes etc hanging out in the building hallways doing business) for more than a decade and familiar with this behavior.

i would say, it has less to do with jeep but in general a tough life living there thats all.
Now WTF was there for Eric! That was unnessarily. I am allowed to express my opinion without getting you guys to say sarcastic shit like this!! If you know me, I am not out to fight - I have been posting a lot of stuff in this forum. I notice that you are from NY - if you have to be so nasty about defending your turf them most probably there is something wrong with where you are living.

I live in NYC for 10 years and decided to move across the Hudson because I need to be close to the city AND I need more space. And NY people might make fun of NJ - but believe me I am SO happy to be where I am rather than the shit show of all the woke politics in NY.

No it is not a troll - I was sharing my opinion. I have never really call anyone an aSShole or a dOuche - but you are really getting close to being one. Congrats on being a "c@#$s"

Sponsored

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Okay there are jeep a plenty here in Edgewater - but they usually don't go to Pier 51 cause only NYC and yuppies people go there to see the water from NJ side and drink crafted beer. I should know, I live only like 1/4 miles from there.

As for Yakitori 39 - you are in an area of Teaneck where there are not that many Jeep. I think that you are one of the very few South Asian that actually drives a Jeep. And I see that you got a Rubicon Pentastar!! Use it in good health. I still love my Turbo 2.0
Went to Pier 51 after dinner last Saturday night. What is the first thing I saw before sitting at the outdoor bar? A drunk chick in a short skirt puking her brains out into the Hudson and it was not even 11pm yet! Yeah…..she got kicked out alongside the rest of her girlfriends. Supposedly her dad came to pick her and the girlfriends up from Westchester and he didn’t look very pleased (according to a bouncer when we were leaving the place at 12:30). He looked unhappy about the drinking and the very short skirt even though the girl looked like in her mid to late 20s.

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
In his defense I have seen @KenPewPew post here often before. I dont think he is a racist or a bigot. Yes the choice of words could have been better but I do not think he has any ill will towards anyone. He is a good fella overall.
Thank you Islander - the many of you that knows me knows that I like to joke although I was not joking about this post. I was sharing my observation. And I was being honest. I would give my shirt off my back to any strangers whether they are rich poor or of any race. I am an immigrant myself - and I have to go through a LOT to be a naturalized citizen and I consider myself patriotic.

Since when did this forum become so WOKE? Its tough enough to read all the crap that is happening (defunding the cop, CRT and all that) and here I am getting attacked with some really nasty post because I share my observation about Jeep in the area that I live in?

Perhaps it is a bad post then. Perhaps from now onwards I should just shut my yap and not say anything. I used to think that this forum allows us to share - and I don't think that the language of my post was that bad - maybe people have said worst thing in other post.

Thanks again Islander. Next time I will think twice about posting here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
1st generation American, born in Manhattan, raised in N. Jersey, paid the toll then escaped.
Don't expect Jeep culture to override NYC culture. They are diametrically opposed and in NYC, NYC culture will win.

1) DWA (Driving While Asian) is a thing. Sorry Asians, but it's true. It's not because they're idiots, it's cultural. The Asian cultural pressure to be polite, passive, and not stand out translates to indecisiveness while driving. Especially so with women who are more culturally pressured to be that way. As most of us know, indecisive driving is worse than decisive bad driving and that's where DWA comes from. Which I find ironic, the culture that came up with the concept of Zen is decidedly not Zen during the one activity that most Americans are in their most Zen-like frame of mind. So i wouldn't think twice about not getting a wave from the typical Ft Lee Asian woman. Wave while driving? Oh no, that's cray-cray and is behavior that will make me stand out! (but apparently nails are an exception to that?)

2) Welcome to the world of the Mall Crawler. They're everywhere.

3) In NYC you get a Gladiator to be large and obnoxious. That's not the wavey kind of person and can be considered more Truck culture.

4) The hat is an interesting indicator. I can see that working in the NYC area.

5) Give the immigrants some slack. They're still trying to figure out American culture, Jeep culture can be too big an ask. But wave anyway, they'll get it eventually.

6) The highly (and tacky) modded Jeeps aren't Jeep culture. It's a sub-culture. Kind of like a hip-hop adaptation of Jeep culture. The same way they adopted Timberland boots, never took them off pavement, and demanded that Timberland expand their color choices beyond light brown (which Timberland wisely did much to their financial gain). On the bright side, they think Jeeps look cool and they urbanized them so they can be a part of it too. But they only adopted the Jeep image, they retain their own culture. So waves won't happen, don't bother.

7) Angry eyes are a good indicator of "No waves, please".

That said, NYC is a great world class city. If you think New Yorkers are rude, they're not. You don't understand the culture and in NYC, you are the rude one. The #1 most misunderstood thing about NYC culture? The rudest thing you can do in NYC is waste someone's time. Calling someone's mother a whore isn't good, but wasting someone's time, delaying them, or making them wait is far more offensive. For example, if someone is walking down the street and you make them stop and wait for more than 3 seconds, you owe them a direct (and brief) apology as you quickly get out of their way. ...'effin tourists.
Thank YOU Reinen - for sharing. As for the last paragraph - I agree with you if it was 10 years ago. I think now NYC is having some serious problem politically and even with the current candidates that is running for the mayor. I am thankful that I am not living in NYC anymore (I used to live in UWS and then one of the most progressive neighborhood in Brooklyn - Park Slope). I still have a lot of client in NYC - that is the reason why I cannot just drop and leave just like that. My partner also work in one of the prominent hospital in NYC and would like to retire there. Life is about give and take - I admit that I am not that happy when I go into NYC - I used to LOVE the culture in NYC having stayed there for 10 years. So I second what you say - but nowadays I think it is no longer like that anymore.

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
This entire thread is in poor taste.

Chalk it up to cultural differences, and leave it at that. Do we want to talk about other demographics who like skinny tires on deep dish rims?

Specific to Asian folks not waving back:

I was a foreign exchange student who ended up studying in Japan.

One cultural nuance - The Japanese do not believe in maintaining eye contact. Looking at someone for more than a few seconds can be considered rude, possibly hostile.

In contrast, we Americans maintain eye contact to establish trust and confidence. “Look at me when I’m speaking to you!” How many times have we heard our parents and teachers say that? “Look me in the eye.” Does that sound familiar?

It’s fascinating that something as fundamental as body language can be so different across cultures.

So, it’s not hard to imagine Koreans not waving to folks they don’t know. I know for a fact that certain Inuits will refuse to greet strangers, as they consider that a bad omen.

Granted, this was many many moons ago, and we’re in a globalized society. But this “you’re in America now, be American” mindset really needs to go.
Respectfully Sentience, I don't know why you are using the term Asian folk - and then give a cultural lesson about Japanese? You do know that there are many Asian that would be offended if you compare them to Japanese right (due to WWII etc).

Having said that I have no problem with Japanese - My partner and I have a lot of Japanese friends, we speak Japanese fluently and definitely enjoy Japanese culture. I stayed in Japan for 3 years. What I don't understand is that you are giving a totally out of context of differences in cultural context between Japanese and America which is totally irrelevant in discussing the subject matter on hand here.

Yes Japanese don't believe in maintaining eye contact. In Japan, you also have weird stuff like Gaijin seating in trains - where there are certain seating in subway that Japanese don't seat that are reserved for foreigners because they don't want to communicate with foreigner due to the worries about not able to speak English (or other language well). You are also not allowed to use cellphone in the train - and you are not allowed to talk above certain decibels. In Japanese culture unless you get them to commit to your plan with "Unnn ii yo (means yes lets do it)" because if there is a first sign of SMALL hesitation on their part - it means NO - and good luck to you in detecting that non verbal hesitation.

There is nothing wrong to maintain eye contact in America! That is how the culture dictates it - and if you are in America you better learn how to maintain eye contact (when in Rome....)

Also for someone so diverse as you - bring in the notion of Korean not waving to folks after using Japanese as an example is an insult to many Koreans do you know that??? That is like one of the biggest NO NO - to compare Japanese to the Korean. Most probably they don't wave back because they don't understand the Jeep culture or they just don't want to. And to bring in Inuit and bad omen..... gee.

We are NOT so in globalized society as you think we are. For one thing, cultural differences prevent that. And no I disagree greatly that "“you’re in America now, be American”" culture have to go especially here in America BECAUSE you should be proud to be an American especially in America.

Despite what is going on in America, this is still one of the best country in the world. Trust me, I came from a place where being Chinese - we are not allowed to do things that we want, get the same treatment or get the same education that we want. That is why I was lucky enough to come to America in the first place.

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker

Sponsored

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
Went to Pier 51 after dinner last Saturday night. What is the first thing I saw before sitting at the outdoor bar? A drunk chick in a short skirt puking her brains out into the Hudson and it was not even 11pm yet! Yeah…..she got kicked out alongside the rest of her girlfriends. Supposedly her dad came to pick her and the girlfriends up from Westchester and he didn’t look very pleased (according to a bouncer when we were leaving the place at 12:30). He looked unhappy about the drinking and the very short skirt even though the girl looked like in her mid to late 20s.
Hahahaha Islander - that happens a lot along the River Road - hahahaha there are a lot of restaurants here by the water where a lot of yuppies like to hang out. Thanks for making me laugh. The next time you get here - let me know and I will take you out for a drink. Not a Pier 51 hahaha :)

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
OP didn’t even mention poor driving. Just Korean girls not waving at him. I know stereotypes are quick and easy but 🙄

Your reasoning is flawed because America is by nature a melting pot of various cultures. Every wave of immigrants brought with them customs and traditions that were assimilated in various degrees to the national zeitgeist. It’s imperfect but it’s essential to who we are and IMO is what makes us a unique country.

“You’re in America so be American” is literally what you should try to do.
I would not say my reasoning is flawed because that very melting pot of various cultures begets it's own culture. The difference with America is that instead of slowly developing a culture through many generations of local history, Americans as a whole (including prior waves of immigrants) observe influxes of various cultures and collectively decide what aspects of it to cherry pick and assimilate, and what not to assimilate. That nevertheless results in an American culture and a rather unique one. If you don't want to be part of that culture, don't immigrate here. One should come to America to be American.

Being a 1st generation American with no roots in other cultures, I can say that the reality is that the immigrating generations never truly become "American". I'm not saying it justifies hate crimes in any way, but I get it. It's true that immigrants really aren't "Americans" in a cultural sense. They have too many roots in another country and culture. My grandmother was absolutely a foreigner. A laughable fish out of water who just did not understand American culture and the source of many eye rolls. My parents, having only a childhood in another culture, now mostly fit in but they definitely have their quirks.

But that's a good thing. That's where the cultural influence comes into play. It's the 1st generation of children born in America who become the bridge between cultures and the primary judges of the two cultures. They decide what to retain from their family's old culture and what to discard in order to become the "new American" with a full understanding of what the American culture is.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Hahahaha Islander - that happens a lot along the River Road - hahahaha there are a lot of restaurants here by the water where a lot of yuppies like to hang out. Thanks for making me laugh. The next time you get here - let me know and I will take you out for a drink. Not a Pier 51 hahaha :)
Lol….I felt bad for her dad when I heard as I too am a father of a daughter (but she is much younger at 3 and just now coming off her diapers much to the relief of my wife). Imagine being dead asleep and then you get a call to come pick up your adult daughter who is wasted some 60 or 70 miles away. Not only is she wasted but she is dressed up as if she is auditioning for the next Jonny Sins porno. They probably had an awkward breakfast or hangover conversation the next day to say the least……

+1 for a drink at Edgewater. Maybe at Raku Izakaya next time as I found Pier 51 unnecessarily expensive.

kenp1985

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Big cities (NYC) Jeep Culture and some ugly mods 47AE8B2F-93F0-4E0D-9197-1A8BDA705C8A
Jeep Wrangler JL Big cities (NYC) Jeep Culture and some ugly mods 9FC673BE-5A53-48F7-9308-F42C16533A39

Our hood in the UpperEast side is FULL of Jeeps. Usually end up parking near one more often than not

YenBoon

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
This entire thread reeks of anti anti woke bullshit. We get it, "NYC is a shithole now", thanks for leaving ✌

I live in Long Island and work in Queens, nobody ever waves, its really not a big deal. We're too busy navigating around shitty drivers to notice the Wrangler that passes every 30 seconds.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.