First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
I live close to NYC in NJ (just my luck - I am stuck here for another 8 years I think) but I found out that the Jeep lifestyle here are very different from places that are far from big cities. I was driving around Sparta NJ (near the Poconos mountain) and there are a lot of Jeep there but everyone is like the friendliest people ever, there are a lot of Jeep and most of them waves. Don't get me wrong - Jeep wave is awesome but it does not define a person love for Jeep or something but it is nice that strangers are friendly with you.

But it is all together a different thing in NYC. I know that some people had posted thread about the futility of connecting with Jeep owners in NYC or big cities - that they are driving a Jeep because it looks good but lack the love for anything Jeep. (Lets hope that these noobs buy Broncos instead). This is what I observed.

1. There are a lot of tiny asian woman with shiny nails (hey I live close to Washington Bridge - and Ft. Lee is an Asian enclave specifically Korean) that will NOT wave at you. The worst thing is that you see a Jeep coming and you are giving the peace sign only to find out that it was some asian lady that see you but would not wave.
  2. Don't bother waving at super shiny JLU - they almost never wave back
  3. Good luck waving at Jeep Gladiator - the people that own it here don't wave at all - worst there give you some really contempt look.
  4. People that wears a hat usually will wave back - but I think most Jeepers that are into Jeep culture wear a hat.
  5. I know this sound bad - but we have a lot of immigrants here and these minority usually will not wave back which is okay.
  6. There are a LOT of Jeep with really UGLY mods here. It is like they totally rip the good look and replaced it with something that they think its cool but it is unJeep like and cringy. And don't bother talking to them about their mods because they will look at you funny and think - what the f are you talking to me about my vehicle. (photo below)
  7. I have a hard time waving at angry eyes Jeep - the angrier they are the more I look ahead.
So yeah - when I was in Sparta I was really happy to see so many friendly Jeep. But I stop waving on the streets in Manhattan or NYC. I am selective when it comes to waving to others Jeeper - where I will look at the composition of the Jeep, who is driving it and the clothing they are wearing.

I think that JL is really popular with many people - a lot of them are not previous Jeep owner or understand the Jeep culture or grew up wanting a Jeep (just like me). However I think that these people will gravitate towards Broncos when it is more ubiquitous on the street and I really have no problem with that. Bronco essentially rips everything that Jeep is doing - they might be able to copy the design style, the marketing scheme but I think that it would be hard for them to copy the Jeep spirit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Big cities (NYC) Jeep Culture and some ugly mods Resized_20210609_160012
Sponsored

Sgt Pickles

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
Been going back and forth to Sloan Kettering in midtown Manhattan a lot lately with my wife. I have not had 1 Jeep in the city wave back. I don’t wave anymore.
Side note, It costs $10 less to park my JLU then the wife’s Yukon. They charge oversized it.

Sponsored

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Ugh Jersey drivers. Here’s a NYC wave for ya 😙🖕🏼

Jokes aside, most people are just busy driving or unaware of the greeting. I get more than enough in the city and it’s excessive out East.

Been going back and forth to Sloan Kettering in midtown Manhattan a lot lately with my wife. I have not had 1 Jeep in the city wave back. I don’t wave anymore.
Side note, It costs $10 less to park my JLU then the wife’s Yukon. They charge oversized it.
Hope all is well 👏🏼 MSK is a good one.

Sgt Pickles

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
Ugh Jersey drivers. Here’s a NYC wave for ya 😙🖕🏼

Jokes aside, most people are just busy driving or unaware of the greeting. I get more than enough in the city and it’s excessive out East.

Hope all is well 👏🏼 MSK is a good one.
Thank you. It’s a great hospital. That’s why we travel over 100 miles each way to get there.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I reluctantly moved to the greater NYC area 20 years ago. Now that I'm here, its hard to imagine living anywhere else. I've had an unbelievably good experience here, and it was totally unexpected.

I can be either on the beach or snowboarding within an hour, depending on which direction I drive. I love camping, hiking and driving the trails here and in VT, MA, NY, PA and VA. I also like keeping my Jeep clean when I can, refuse to give up on waving, and love driving the backroads near Sparta. But I refuse to wear a hat, so if you see a Jeff Lebowski look-alike in a silver ride giving you a peace sign, be sure to wave back.

PS: I've also lived pretty much everywhere in the US at some point. The unnecessary hate coming from some forum members made me laugh. I've actually lived (OH, MI) and spent extended time (OK) where some of them are posting from. I know what's there.

Last edited:

Sponsored

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
I live close to NYC in NJ (just my luck - I am stuck here for another 8 years I think) but I found out that the Jeep lifestyle here are very different from places that are far from big cities. I was driving around Sparta NJ (near the Poconos mountain) and there are a lot of Jeep there but everyone is like the friendliest people ever, there are a lot of Jeep and most of them waves. Don't get me wrong - Jeep wave is awesome but it does not define a person love for Jeep or something but it is nice that strangers are friendly with you.

But it is all together a different thing in NYC. I know that some people had posted thread about the futility of connecting with Jeep owners in NYC or big cities - that they are driving a Jeep because it looks good but lack the love for anything Jeep. (Lets hope that these noobs buy Broncos instead). This is what I observed.

1. There are a lot of tiny asian woman with shiny nails (hey I live close to Washington Bridge - and Ft. Lee is an Asian enclave specifically Korean) that will NOT wave at you. The worst thing is that you see a Jeep coming and you are giving the peace sign only to find out that it was some asian lady that see you but would not wave.
  2. Don't bother waving at super shiny JLU - they almost never wave back
  3. Good luck waving at Jeep Gladiator - the people that own it here don't wave at all - worst there give you some really contempt look.
  4. People that wears a hat usually will wave back - but I think most Jeepers that are into Jeep culture wear a hat.
  5. I know this sound bad - but we have a lot of immigrants here and these minority usually will not wave back which is okay.
  6. There are a LOT of Jeep with really UGLY mods here. It is like they totally rip the good look and replaced it with something that they think its cool but it is unJeep like and cringy. And don't bother talking to them about their mods because they will look at you funny and think - what the f are you talking to me about my vehicle. (photo below)
  7. I have a hard time waving at angry eyes Jeep - the angrier they are the more I look ahead.
So yeah - when I was in Sparta I was really happy to see so many friendly Jeep. But I stop waving on the streets in Manhattan or NYC. I am selective when it comes to waving to others Jeeper - where I will look at the composition of the Jeep, who is driving it and the clothing they are wearing.

I think that JL is really popular with many people - a lot of them are not previous Jeep owner or understand the Jeep culture or grew up wanting a Jeep (just like me). However I think that these people will gravitate towards Broncos when it is more ubiquitous on the street and I really have no problem with that. Bronco essentially rips everything that Jeep is doing - they might be able to copy the design style, the marketing scheme but I think that it would be hard for them to copy the Jeep spirit.

Resized_20210609_160012.jpeg
Long Islander here and an Immigrant (a non practicing Indian Sikh) and I wave. Guess my fellow Asian Jeepers do things differently on the Jersey side because I see other Asian Jeepers wave aplenty on Long Island.

I was grabbing dinner at Yakitori 39 in Teaneck with my Japanese coworkers last Saturday and it was hard finding a Jeep the whole night in the area. Only saw one or two at Pier 51 in Edgewater but those too were NY plates.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
There was a period in my life when work took me to many countries and I can say this for a fact:

NYC is the only world class city in the USA.

As for the Jeep wave, fuhgettaboutit. Not waving back to you is not about them being rude, it’s about them seeing you as a rube. Even my parents (who are in their 80’s and still living in NYC) make fun of me for living in “redneck” San Francisco Bay Area.

Newfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jl, 07 Ram 3500, 13 CRV
My wife was an admitted patient there for 3 months this year, I would drive once a week and take the train in the rest of the time. When you're driving in New York City you don't have any time to wave to people You're too busy trying not to get hit and make time with the lights.

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
Long Islander here and an Immigrant (a non practicing Indian Sikh) and I wave. Guess my fellow Asian Jeepers do things differently on the Jersey side because I see other Asian Jeepers wave aplenty on Long Island.

I was grabbing dinner at Yakitori 39 in Teaneck with my Japanese coworkers last Saturday and it was hard finding a Jeep the whole night in the area. Only saw one or two at Pier 51 in Edgewater but those too were NY plates.
That's the "Asian Wave" that you're experiencing. ;)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.