WestTex42

First Name
Rhett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Recon
Hello All,

My wife and I are headed to Big Bend NP (Terlingua, Lajitas, Marathon TX) in January. I’d like to run my 2020 Rubicon Recon on some easy to moderate trails while there. Any advice on anything at all related to that area? Any and all info is appreciated!
Sponsored

zaneiz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
There is a badge of honor trail inside the park. Black gap trail I believe. Another off road trail on the opposite side of the park.

We went last year and hiked. Didn't have the Jeep with us. Beautiful park.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Download the app “Just Ahead”. They have a free tour for that park that’s pretty cool. The Marfa lights is a waste, don’t bother.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Download the app “Just Ahead”. They have a free tour for that park that’s pretty cool. The Marfa lights is a waste, don’t bother.
But what aboot Prada Marfa? Is that still there? 🤣

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Lol that would be worth seeing. We went at night hoping to see alien light orbs. All we saw was headlights from the highway behind us sweeping across the hillside. Great idea, horrible execution.

Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
See if the Mc Donald observatory is having one of their star parties while you are in the area. Did that years ago, it was awesome. Do not delay on the registration, it fills fast.

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
We’ve been there several times. Don’t forget to hit the hot springs on the river. You can drive down to it now, so get there early, years ago you had to hike in so not many people went.
lots of trails and dirt roads. Take water etc, even in January it can get warm.

TexasRay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys XR Gobi - Ordered 5/15...
Take a passport and do Boquillas Crossing... Be sure to listen to Gringo Honeymoon by Robert Earl Keen prior and during your crossing.

Last edited:

GladiSD

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' AEV 392 JL370, 08' S2000 CR, 08' S2000, 99' SV
Occupation
Sure...
Take a passport and do Boquillas Crossing... Be sure to listen to Gringo Honeymoon by Robert Earl Keen prior and during your crossing.
I second the Boquillas crossing! I’ve been down to Boquillas a couple times and look forward to Re-visiting for food.
Last time I was there, I sat next to some rude Jeepers that ended up on these boards and complaining about the place. They were awful to sit next to and I’m glad we were the happy Jeepers that day visiting such a cool remote village/town.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
@Jeepeto may be able to chime in here. I believe he was there not very long ago.

Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

@Jeepeto may be able to chime in here. I believe he was there not very long ago.
Negative, it’s on my list though. I was in Utah a few weeks ago, that may be what you’re thinking of. I have attempted Big Bend NP a few times without any luck (lodging was booked 12 months in advance), but I recently found out the state park is a bit more friendly to off grid accommodations and may be an easier trip. I need to get down there for sure

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
We took the” Boquillas Ferry” a few years ago when the border first opened again. $10 for the ferry and a ride to the village in a PU or horseback🙂
Jeep Wrangler JL Big Bend National Park - What to do? E21AD46B-7EE4-4F10-BB9D-499DA7BD7BE6

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I second the Boquillas crossing! I’ve been down to Boquillas a couple times and look forward to Re-visiting for food.
Last time I was there, I sat next to some rude Jeepers that ended up on these boards and complaining about the place. They were awful to sit next to and I’m glad we were the happy Jeepers that day visiting such a cool remote village/town.
I was in Boquillas in January. I was fun to visit, but I thought the food was mediocre at best. I asked the Boarder Patrol guy about it and he is like hey they don't expect you to come back.

Mind you we only ate at one restaurant. So my opinion is just about the one place. I was like how do you make guacamole and salsa with no taste? I might have jus chose the wrong place.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.