Sponsored

Bicycle Rack Compatible with JL Rear Camera ?

merilm

First Name
Meril
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 FJ Cruiser (sold), 2018 White JLU Sahara ordered, 2013 HD Softtail Deluxe w/ a little extra chrome.
Occupation
semi-retired
Has anyone found a suitable rear spare tire mounted bicycle carrier that has mounting hardware that doesn't interfere with the camera ? Many thanks !
Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Good luck but going to go out on a limb and guess that anything you attach to the spare tire will potentially block the view of the back up camera.

We've run into similar issues when using a hitch mount rack for our bikes on our old 2011 Grand Cherokee or 2014 Ram Crew Cab. The bikes or the RotoPax water pack I mounted to the rack block the view.

arch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S Sting Gray, 1950 Red GMC pickup
I'm looking for a spare mounted bike rack as well. I'm still trying to figure things out. Quadratec shows a cheap Allen brand to be compatible for about $60, but amazon specifically says that rack is not compatible with JLs. I see a Malone rack on etrailer for $100 that looks like it would work and etrailer lists as compatible, and I see a Hollywood racks SR1 also on etrailer for $135 that looks like it would work and is listed as compatible. None of them appear to mount via the lugs that hold the spare tire on which is near where the camera is and I would presume would be a problem. Of course the camera could be somewhat blocked when the bikes are installed. There's another thread that goes more into hitch mounted bike racks where a member posted a great picture of his camera view with bikes attached. I will have the safety group on my JL, so I imagine there will be an audible alarm when bikes are attached, but I don't know b/c in the manual it shows the region of detection coming from the sensors on the tail lights, so those sensors range might be more to the rear and sides instead of straight rear where bikes will be. I took a glance at the manual online and the only option seems to be that you can lower the volume; I didn't see anything as far as being able to turn off the alarm. I need a rack for a trip in May. I probably won't have my ordered Jeep until late April, so I will probably buy a rack soon and before I actually have the Jeep. I do not have a trailer hitch. I'll try to keep you posted as to what I buy and/or find out and please anyone else do the same if you have any info. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance now. I believe the sensors are more to detect moving objects than fixed objects, but maybe someone who already has a JL in use could shed more light on how the camera and audible alarms function.

Tangokilo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Oldsmobile 442, 2001 4runner, 2010 Honda Accord V6 Coupe, 2011 VW Golf, 1969 Triump T100 MC and 2018 JLU Sport S