Sponsored

BFG Ko2's suck that bad in rain?

LastMango

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon (replaced 2018 JLU Sport S)
New to Jeeps. I fitted 315/70/17 BFG KO2's on my JLU sitting on 17x9" et 12 Method wheels. Running 30psi. The tires were used w/ only about 8K mls on them. Long story short, they are HORRID for wet traction. I'm fish tailing barely pressing the gas, and came to a light stop sliding... this doesn't seem normal. Or is it? Thanks
I've got 33" BFGs... and I think their road manners are pretty good. I can unglue them in the rain if I do something stupid, (like gun it in a turn over a freshly painted crosswalk—oops), but generally speaking—they behave as expected. I tend to keep them at about 35-37psi for normal driving (no haters, please). I'm in Florida—it rains a lot in the summer... and hard. No issues. But I will back up what someone else said—standing water at speed can be an issue. If you weren't paying attention before hitting such a puddle, guarantee you will be for the rest of that trip.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂

Roadglide

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Yeah I’m thinking these particular tires may be bad. I don’t get it. Guess that’s what I get buying used tires.
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
I have a two door Rubicon with the same tires and bigger wheels. I live almost in the Everglades, FL so I know about rain. No problems with mine. Try a set of Goodyear Wranglers if you really want to slide around.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I have a theory: It seems like all of the people claiming poor traction are driving a 4-door, while all of the 2-door drivers claim good traction. This could be due to the characteristics of the different wheelbases when using the same rear suspension setup. Basically the shorter wheelbase & different center of gravity would allow the 2-door to put the power down better than a 4-door.

These articles discuss the suspension mounting points, which I don't believe change between the different wheelbases, but the same principles do apply to the wheelbase changes.
https://www.crawlpedia.com/4_link_suspension.htm
https://jsmachineandfab.com/2016/06/14/tech-talk-instant-center/

If this drawing could be considered a 2-door, making the wheelbase longer would move the anti-squat line closer to (or even the other side) of the instant center (the instant center should be the same between the two wheelbases).
Jeep Wrangler JL BFG Ko2's suck that bad in rain? 1602717530622

Sponsored

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have a theory: It seems like all of the people claiming poor traction are driving a 4-door, while all of the 2-door drivers claim good traction. This could be due to the characteristics of the different wheelbases when using the same rear suspension setup. Basically the shorter wheelbase & different center of gravity would allow the 2-door to put the power down better than a 4-door.

These articles discuss the suspension mounting points, which I don't believe change between the different wheelbases, but the same principles do apply to the wheelbase changes.
https://www.crawlpedia.com/4_link_suspension.htm
https://jsmachineandfab.com/2016/06/14/tech-talk-instant-center/

If this drawing could be considered a 2-door, making the wheelbase longer would move the anti-squat line closer to (or even the other side) of the instant center (the instant center should be the same between the two wheelbases).
Jeep Wrangler JL BFG Ko2's suck that bad in rain? 1602717530622
You can toss that theory out. JLUR here

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
I got the street tires originally and slid like a mustang leaving a car meet in minor rain. Out some ko2s and if im rough on the gas or up a steep hill itll kick out a little. I havent had this issue driving on my fathers falken 35s in much heavier rain situations. But im in ny. And honestly not even complaining. K02s are justice compared to the stocks that feel bald on a mm of water. But thats to be expected with the height and weight setup of the car in general. Wide tires probably make it worse. High torque as well.

OP
OP
dginz

dginz

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Get the new Toyo Open Country 3. Looks similar to ko2's with slightly less aggressive sidewalls and performs much better in the rain
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Toyo&tireModel=Open+Country+A/T+III&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=525R7OCAT3&tab=Sizes
1602699972034.png
Yeah it’s funny I’ve been taking a hard look at these tires and they seem awesome from what I’m seeing on reviews.

In addition, for a less aggressive AT hybrid tire I’ve been reading about
Continental terraincontact and Cooper discoverer. Both these tires are more geared toward the road but will function for light off road (light trails and sand) which seems right up my alley as my JLU is a daily and on road 90% of the time. I know these are probably an unpopular choice here but they seem like a great option.

I’m pretty sure I’m also sizing down to a 33 tire.

Sponsored

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Developer, Home Automation and AV
New to Jeeps. I fitted 315/70/17 BFG KO2's on my JLU sitting on 17x9" et 12 Method wheels. Running 30psi. The tires were used w/ only about 8K mls on them. Long story short, they are HORRID for wet traction. I'm fish tailing barely pressing the gas, and came to a light stop sliding... this doesn't seem normal. Or is it? Thanks
Personally that sounds like it's tire pressure related. The lower pressure is increasing your contact patch and spreading out the load which combined with the wet surface is reducing the amount of friction your tires have to hold contact.

I have a 2018 JLUR with factory KO2s. While they don't perform amazing on wet roads, they are definitely not terrible. I run mine at 36-37 psi on the street.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I hated my KO2s ( they are in my garage and my daughter wanted them on her JK and I refuse to put them on hers), and swtiched to Duratracs and they are MUCH better in the rain. Have not tried them in snow yet. I think Wildpeak AT in size 33 ( I think 35's are different compund) and those TOYO AT3 and Coopers would all be even better then the Duratracs because they all list silicon in the compound and all have lots of siping. I have been accused of being an aggressive driver ( owned Corvette, Porsches) but I know the difference and I tone my speed down in my Jeep ( and still thought the KO2 suck). That's my opinion for what it's worth. Funny how diverse the opinions on this tire are.

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
KO2's did not work well on snowpacked roads for me either, compared to Duratracs or Falkens. Even on dry imperfect pavement they weren't as grippy . Not terrible by any means but not great. But they gripped really well aired down on rocky trails and were quite and comfortable on the highway , so overall a decent tire. Plus the sidewall seems to hold up pretty well to sharp rocks.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
Cooper AT3 XLT tires are unbelievably good in both snow and rain if you decide to replace them.
in my experience they’re as close to KO2s off-road that the only reason to buy the bfg is if you prefer the look

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I hated my KO2s ( they are in my garage and my daughter wanted them on her JK and I refuse to put them on hers), and swtiched to Duratracs and they are MUCH better in the rain. Have not tried them in snow yet. I think Wildpeak AT in size 33 ( I think 35's are different compund) and those TOYO AT3 and Coopers would all be even better then the Duratracs because they all list silicon in the compound and all have lots of siping. I have been accused of being an aggressive driver ( owned Corvette, Porsches) but I know the difference and I tone my speed down in my Jeep ( and still thought the KO2 suck). That's my opinion for what it's worth. Funny how diverse the opinions on this tire are.
Duratracs are fantastic tires, and they’re pinned for studs. We ran a studded set of 35s for two wet and snowy years on a Tundra. It was the best overall winter traction I’ve ever had. My standing-water scares with the BFGs had me white-knuckling it every time we hit a big puddle, but After two years of the Duratracs cutting through those puddles without problems it was enough to erase most of the butt-pucker. They also clear mud really well. The only complaint I’ve heard about them is poor sidewall durability, but I have no experience with that, as we didn’t wheel the Tundra. I had hoped to run BFGs on the Rubi in the summer and studded Duratracs in the winter, but they don’t make a 17 x 37. If any of you experience with a great studable 37 please PM me the details.
Sponsored